To timer or not to timer?

Recently, our firearms instructor has begun timing everything on the range. Quals, cold starts, B8's and even shoothouse/room clearing stuff. (I say that loosely as our "shoothouse" resembles more of a competition stage with doorways.) Timing more scenario driven shooting has sort of rubbed me the wrong way as the timer is stressed and not necessarily proper tactics. I totally get using the shot timer as a tool to have quantifiable data on fundamentals, but am I wrong for being frustrated by the fact that this training (in my mind) compromises officer safety? Rather, DOES it compromise officer safety? Am I missing something?
Background: I'm a State registered armed security officer at a small university. I shoot around 3-400 a month through my duty weapon.
Training officer: Retired LE and current MIL, but rather old school in both mentality and teaching.

Gypsy EDC

If you're not compromising safety and good technique a timer is a great way to obtain a base line and chart improvement.

If you start chasing "better times" it can impede both safety and technique. I've seen it done, and done it myself.

nightchief

Fighter of the Daychief
Pat McNamara discuses "performance" based training verses "outcome" based training in his books and classes...

Outcome: How many, how fast...

Performance: Training utilizing proper technique and ensuring proper accuracy standards, then looking at how long on the timer it took to accomplish, using as measuring stick for yourself...

I started training and practicing with a timer about two years ago, but I changed my goals and process to the performance way after reading TAPS and taking a class. IMO, this is a much better way of training as it doesn't encourage the shooter to worry about time over everything else.

AmmoHouse

Amateur
I use a timer ALOT in my training.
But Nightchief is right.
When I took Pat Macs class the performance based vs outcome based was a better way of doing things.
That being said...some things need to be timed so you have a measurable skill.
Measure yourself....train on said skillset focusing on performance with no clock...then measure again..improvement?

I use a timer because I shoot a lot of drills and qualms with time standards. I think if you keep track of your time in order to keep track of improvement it is a valuable tool. I also use a timer during dry practice as well.

JohnHB

I find that introducing par times into your drills really pushes you beyond your comfort zone. For me, without the timer, I would not challenge myself and would slip back into my comfort zone. My .02