TLR-3 for concealed carry

I posted the following question on Facebook...

"TLR-3 for concealed carry: any feedback or experiences? In particular, I'm concerned about these three things:

1. reliability (flickering, bulb failure, switches doing what they should, can handle extended firing schedules without dying, etc.)
2. durability (drops/falls, mount strength, can handle holsters which index off of the WML, etc.)
3. switchology (is it intuitive and fast?)

To date, my only handgun WML experience is a U boat, so my expectations are fairly high. Unfortunately, no Surefire products fit a P30SK, so I'm left with things like the TLR-3 and random Viridians and such."

...and received these replies/had the following discussions:

Nicholas Pratt The mount is pretty weak in my experience.
Does the XC1 fit your HK? It's mount is also wonky, but at least the parts the break are easy to replace. With the TLR3, the party I have seen crack is the body itself.
Unlike · Reply · 2 · December 6 at 12:48pm

ME That was my fear as well: polymer mount that's one with the body. Dang.

XC1 doesn't fit the P30SK.
1f641.png
:( The mounting bracket is too far forward for this small of a gun. G26 sized.
Like · Reply · December 6 at 12:51pm

Nicholas Pratt
I have the same issue with my FNS compact. The cross bar on the XC1 is like 1/8" too far forward.
I have a Viridian C5 that fits it well. It also has a poly mount, but not integrated with the body.

Like · Reply · December 6 at 12:54pm
View more replies

Write a reply...

Kentworth D. Wall III
I wanted to run a WML on my M&P9c and the TLR3 is the best option because of the ridiculously short Rail. I used the TRL3 on my house gun for several years prior to discovering P&S and upgrding to an X300UB. I have never had it fail or questioned the ...See More
· Reply · December 6 at 1:16pm

Kentworth D. Wall III
For now I just rock an g code incog and a handheld light.
Like · Reply · December 6 at 1:17pm

Michael Garcia
I've got 3 RCS holsters and have 0 complaints. I've even got their thumb break holster. The soft material took a dump in me and they replaced it without any issues.
Like · Reply · 1 · December 6 at 1:20pm · Edited

ME Not to turn this into a holster thread, but I'd check out JM Custom Kydex, Kentworth. Great quality with all the right features, and lots of light options for small guns.

Much appreciated for your feedback on the TLR-3
1f642.png
:)
Like · Reply · 1 · December 6 at 1:28pm

Kentworth D. Wall III
Thanks for the heads up. I will look into it.
Like · Reply · December 6 at 2:13pm

Write a reply...

Ashton Ray
TLR-3 is a no go in my opinion.

The mount fails with even moderate use, I've yet to see one survive any even minor jarring. I saw one break off while being reholstered.
Unlike · Reply · 3 · December 6 at 1:48pm

ME Dang. That's two votes against on one of my big worries. Well, two actually, because I'm also worried about how the light handles frequent holstering and unholstering during training. Poop.
Like · Reply · December 6 at 1:50pm

Write a reply...

Andrew Vetters
I've had no issues with the durability, the lack of light output is the bigger issue. Even with the upgrade, its only 125 lumens. I have it on my beretta px4 compact for lack of rail space and it holds up well, but if I had to do it again, I probably would just stick with a handheld.
Like · Reply · 1 · December 6 at 1:58pm

ME Will be using both a handheld and WML. Holding childrens' hands, operating doors, ID'ing things without pointing a gun at them, etc. all have different lighting needs best served by one or the other, imo. I'd like to have both if I can.
Like · Reply · December 6 at 2:00pm

Write a reply...

Tom Kelley
They're extremely sensitive to the tension on the screw and break very easily. The plastic housing just doesn't cut it, pass. ...See More
Unlike
· Reply · 2 · December 6 at 2:19pm

ME Poop. Strike 3.

Had a feeling it would go down this way.
Like · Reply · December 6 at 2:20pm

Write a reply...

Nicholas Pratt
Have you tried a TLR-1? X300 A with the cross bar mount?
Like · Reply · December 6 at 2:21pm

ME Neither will fit as well.
1f641.png
:(
Like · Reply · December 6 at 2:21pm

Nicholas Pratt
dang. I can wedge the TLR-1 on the FNS Compact, but it is so tight against the front of the TG that the momentary rocker doesn't work. (It turns on, but doesn't return to off).
I tested out an X300U on a G30 and the standard mount would not engage the rail slot, but the alternate (cross bar) mount worked great.
Like · Reply · December 6 at 2:23pm

Write a reply...

Sam Wagner
I carry one on my ccw, but haven't beaten it up like it would be if it was on a duty weapon. I've had it for 3 or so years and it's been very reliable. like I said though, it's pretty much just been drawn from the holster and exposed to recoil, I've never dropped it or used it as a hammer. It's never flickered during firing, I had to change the battery for the first time about 6 months ago.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · December 6 at 2:31pm

Michael Caballa
Only WML that will work with a 9c is a TLR3. I've broken 2 at the mount, now keep a spare on hand in case I need to send back for warranty. I wish someone would make one with a metal housing and more lumens. Light sucked during a low light + rain class
Unlike · Reply · 2 · December 6 at 2:38pm

Kentworth D. Wall III
I have had it on and off of several guns and haven't broken one. I've never ran one through a class for lack of holsters. Are you guys breaking the mount when installing, or does it break from use/drop?
Like · Reply · December 6 at 3:13pm

Michael Caballa
Mine broke from use. When I was taking a lot of classes (drawing and holstering) is when I went through the lights quickly
Like · Reply · December 6 at 3:16pm

Tom Kelley
Drawing, wearing, looking at it.

They've not held up well for basic dry work in most cases I've seen. I've seen a few launched in live fire as well. The stationary side of the body isn't very well thought out as it is quite narrow to fit over the rails but allows the tension screw to be tightened until it breaks. If that doesn't happen you then run into loosening anyway under fire.
Like · Reply · December 6 at 3:16pm

Kentworth D. Wall III
Damn. Well good to know. Mine has spent most of its life on a nightstand, or in a range bag. I am thinking of learning to carry the full sized M&P or switching platforms all together because of my lack of WML options.
Like · Reply · December 6 at 3:21pm

Sam Wagner
The tension screw in mine stuck out a little and was hanging up in my holster, I ground it down and haven't had a problem with it since.
Like · Reply · December 6 at 3:24pm

Write a reply...

ME Thanks guys. Seems like my worst fears about this light were confirmed. Will be sticking with a handheld only.
Like · Reply · December 6 at 3:29pm

ME Until Surefire releases an actual subcompact light.
1f642.png
:)
Like · Reply · December 6 at 3:30pm

Randy Berry
The XC1 won't work? I've been running one since they came out on a G19 and an Incog IWB holster.... it works great...
Like · Reply · December 6 at 6:39pm
View more replies

Write a reply...

Randy Berry
I have personally broken 3 of them got it replaced for the 4th time and seriously gave it to some kid playing Air-soft..... don't waist your money
Like · Reply · December 6 at 6:36pm