Timmy the Tanfoglio: Building Amos Burton’s 10mm Semi-auto from The Expanse

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
…And on that note, my gunsmith just called to say the pistol’s ready to be picked up! So I’ll have it back by tomorrow evening

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
From “Leviathan Wakes”, The Expanse Book One:

“Okay, he’s still here so let’s-“ Holden started, and then stopped when he saw the woman from the couch standing right behind Alex. He hadn’t heard or seen her approach.

“You need to come with me,” she said in a hard voice. “Walk to the stairwell - slowly. Stay at least three meters ahead of me the entire time. Do it now.”

“Are you a cop?” Holden asked, not moving.

“I’m the person with the gun,” she said. A small weapon appeared like magic in her right hand. She pointed it at Alex’s head. “So, do what I say.” Her weapon was small and plastic, and had some kind of battery pack. Amos pulled his heavy slug-thrower out and aimed it at her face.

“Mine’s bigger,” he said.

“Amos, don’t-“ was all Naomi had time to say before the stairwell door burst open and half a dozen men and women armed with compact automatic weapons came into the room, yelling at them to drop their guns.

2606F5C5-B65E-4A59-994D-B8A08148BB90.jpeg

Timmy’s back! I honestly had forgotten how smooth this gun is. The new safety has even less play than the original if anything, and it works much better with my wrong-handedness. My gunsmith did an excellent job chopping off the slide release lever and re-finishing the resulting barrel retention pin:

79FE1C42-35A1-408C-B654-F730A87D07FC.jpeg

I also installed the Patriot Defense magwell when I got home tonight, and I’m pretty sure I could toss a new mag into the gun from across the room at this point:

EE7BB96B-8E5C-4828-95E0-13B7CD45C035.jpeg

I can’t wait to get this thing back to the range and throw a couple hundred more rounds through it. It’s coming together extremely well!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Everything in me is screaming out to get the gun back to the range tomorrow, but I sliced open my left thumb at work pretty well on Friday and the fairly large flap of skin is just being held together with super glue right now. I know if I take this thing to the range it’ll take less than a mag of Ten Milly with those PD grips to pull the cut apart on my hand and give the frame a nice new coating of fresh blood, so I think I’m going to have to push off the next range trip until a little later this week. It’ll be getting more rounds down the pipe very soon though!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
From “Nemesis Games”, The Expanse Book Five:

“Everything alright?” Peaches asked.

“Sure,” Amos said. The shadows of the other crew faded into the gloom.

“Talk them out of any unpleasant actions?”

“Me? Nope. They did most of that themselves. Best defense we’ve got right now is everyone’s in the habit of not killing each other and taking their shit. Pretty soon people are just gonna start assuming anyone they don’t know is out to slit their throats - if they’re lucky.” She looked at him. Her face was smooth, her eyes intelligent and hard.

“You don’t sound upset at the prospect.”

“I’m comfortable with it.”

2FBDC7C4-6650-4757-8EB9-1B75A4B28D0C.jpeg

Another range trip, another couple hundred rounds. I did have just a couple rounds nose-dive into the feed ramp rather than chamber correctly, but I’m chalking that up to still being in break-in. If it continues I’ll take a look at what to do to correct the issue.

1937C8C9-1294-4378-B591-C539360C6B1F.jpeg

A member on another forum asked if the additional of the WML and heavier recoil spring causes noticeable muzzle dip when the slide cycles, the answer is it does not. I still need to drive the muzzle back down a bit when slow-firing the gun after it’s finished cycling. Hopefully adding the comp won’t cause the muzzle to dip, but will just prevent it from jumping up as much to begin with.

It seems this time just one grip screw loosened up a bit during my post-range once-over. For tonight I tightened it back down, when I have more time tomorrow after work I’ll apply some red loctite like I had on the optic mount screws - those don’t seem to have moved a bit.

The grips are going to take a little bit before my hands toughen up, until then I’ll have a couple new blisters. But that’s nothing new. I am anxiously awaiting the threaded barrel and comp from Patriot Defense, my gentle sensibilities are a bit rattled after two hundred rounds of 180gr at 1,250fps. But other than that the gun seems pretty solid. Time to put a metric shitload of bullets down the barrel.

I did have three different people, one of whom was the Range Safety Officer, stop me to ask what the gun was. They were each rewarded with getting to throw ten rounds downrange through it. If anyone’s ever in CO and sees this gun on the line, tap me on the shoulder - if I have the ammo, I’ll let you shoot it too!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
4B528BAB-2290-4247-AA83-304B49BD7E9C.jpeg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, hope you all had a great day! Potentially more range time over this long weekend, we’ll see what happens. Timmy to stay comfortable in my bedside pistol safe for now

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
A6CDC081-6D10-400A-8359-559E1B071E38.jpeg

Something interesting I noticed when re-loading the Ten Milly after dryfiring tonight - with the slide lock lever trimmed, you can see in to the top round of the magazine sitting in the gun:

610F6E31-1E98-4170-A015-6A0D941B7214.jpeg

Should be getting back to the range again and more rounds down the pipe sometime in the next week, more updates soon to come. Hoping the grip screws hold on better this time with the red Loctite

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
On a “I swear I was thinking about it before they released the DWX” note, I kind of want a flat-face trigger that’s either anodized or cerakoted red. Anyone know who makes one?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
02DA4A73-4A20-4A3A-BB2E-696C80DDDF9B.jpeg

After an unceremoniously long hiatus (sorry, work gets in the way these days), I think I’m going shooting this weekend

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
49C6B0B6-32CF-4356-AB74-D633506A1A2E.jpeg

Went out to Northern Colorado for a rather cold range day with my brother and several of his acquaintances. Mostly shot the MCX but put several more magazines through Timmy including letting everyone else in attendance squeeze off a few rounds. Everyone else had brought 9mm polymer striker pistols of some kind of another, so they were all able to appreciate the differences between their guns and a SAO hammer-fired 10mm. Grip, magwell, and optic mount screws seem to have held on this time - I’ll continuing keeping an eye on them for a while but looking good for now.

Should get word from Patriot Defense that their comp setup is ready to go any day now. I keep hasslin’ ‘em about it every other day…

Smith

Now if you get a musket (w/ pic rail I imagine) you can time-travel to anywhere within 300 years and do well.

Amos is also my favorite character in The Expanse, although I've only seen the show. The cowboy pilot guy was also pretty fun!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
From “Abbadon’s Gate”, The Expanse Book Three:

Holden had already gone past that, and was unbuckling his restraints.

“Are you armed?” Holden asked Amos. The big mechanic pulled a large caliber pistol out of his pocket and held it against his thigh. In the microgravity it would shove Amos around if he fired it, but surrounded by bulkheads that wouldn’t be too much of a problem.

“Hey,” Monica said, her face shifting from confusion to fear.

“One of you hijacked my comm array,” Holden said. “One of you is working for whoever is doing this to us. Whoever it is should really just tell me now.”

“You forgot to threaten us,” Cohen said.

“No, I didn’t.”

“It wasn’t us,” Monica said - the fear on her face draining the bland video star prettiness away, making her look older, gaunt.

“Fuck this,” Amos said, pointing the gun at them. “Let me drag one of them down to the airlock and space them right now. Even if only one of them did it I got me a 25% chance to get the right one. Got a 33% chance with the second one I toss. 50-50 by the third, and those are odds I’ll take any day.”

483C72D8-8AFA-4DEE-A5A8-7B540306FE55.jpeg

Finally got back to the range today after too long of an absence. Went alright, the gun was performing well and I was shooting better than I expected for having been gone so long.

26D81AEB-117C-41C6-86B7-D1FB637B6756.jpeg

Unfortunately a little over a hundred rounds into my lane time, the gun started having issues with the trigger not resetting. It seems when the slide cycles it’s not pushing the hammer back completely, which means it isn’t re-engaging the sear and I wind up with a dead trigger unless I thumb the hammer the rest of the way back and get a “click” as the sear re-engages. That’s happening both with live ammo and just dryfire manipulations, so something’s off.

At this point, I’m inclined to just send the whole thing in to Patriot Defense when they have the barrel and comp ready (soon), have them install that and then do a full rebuild and tune for reliability through the whole system, including the new barrel and comp. Sent them a message to find out how much that’s gonna hurt my wallet.

Until then, looks like I’ve got a pretty but useless hunk of metal in my safe…

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Trigger issue fixed! Thanks to a hint from some members on the BEnos forums, I took the gun to my local gunsmith and asked him to take a look at the pre-travel adjustment screw. Turns out it’d backed out in recoil and wasn’t allowing the trigger to reset when the slide cycled. Three minutes with an Allen key and some red loctite and we’re back in business!

10mm: Because fuck your torque specs

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
After some continued discussion with other 10mm owners, Patriot Defense, and Henning Group, I’ve ordered up a Wolff 16lbs recoil spring to replace the 20lbs spring currently in the gun. The 20lbs spring is probably just too strong for the power factor of the Sig FMJ/JHP I’m consistently feeding the gun. The 16lbs spring is still strong enough to slow the slide and protect the frame, but will be easier to manipulate the slide and should get rid of the occasional round nosediving I’m still getting during longer range visits. That should be in later this week. I’ll still hold on to the 20lbs spring for the possibility that I start handloading in the future and start feeding Timmy a diet of nitro-nuclear 10mm loads, but for right now the 16lbs spring is a better choice given the ammo

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
2DDBCC50-3ADD-48EE-BA98-923883A55086.jpeg

A few minutes swapping out the recoil and firing pin springs, and the gun should now be properly set up for the moderate-power Sig 10mm I’ve been feeding it. I’ll be going to the range this weekend to function check it, and there shouldn’t be any more occasional nosediving of rounds. I’ll report back again soon!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
CEA22A00-08F9-44AF-BFE9-6733BC904ED6.jpeg

Success! Another couple hundred rounds through the gun, this time with zero malfunctions or nosediving rounds. I also hadn’t cleaned or added lube to the gun since the last range trip, so the fact that it still chugged through ammo without issue is satisfying. It does seem ever so slightly snappier, not sure if that’s a placebo effect thing or what. But I do think the gun is properly sprung for the ammo I’m feeding it now.

Speaking of ammo, I need to order more FMJ after today…

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
From “Leviathan Falls”, The Expanse Book Nine:

“I’m a little tired of being talked about like I was luggage,” Teresa said, taking control of the negotiation. “This isn’t a conversation between him and you, this is a conversation with me. I decide what ship I leave this planet on, not him.” Muskrat, sensing the tension, started barking and hopping on her front legs. Tanaka smiled, and it was cold.

“Alright,” Tanaka said. “Please come with me. Do it now, and in return I won’t kill your friends.”

“You don’t have to do this,” Jim said, quietly enough that it was just for her to hear it.

“I’ll go,” Teresa said. But no one heard her. Her voice was suddenly drowned out as the static hiss of the tree-sized grasses took on a deafening rumble. For a second, she thought of earthquakes or stampedes of cattle. Tanaka’s neck worked - she was sub-vocalizing to someone.

“You have to the count of three,” Tanaka shouted. “One.”

Amos said “Fuck it,” stepped in front of Teresa, and drew his gun.

61447D01-D81D-401C-B90E-FF1569D434A1.jpeg

Nothing really new to report, just another range trip with no issues. The suppressed Rattler is fun with subs (not mine though)

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
Just wanted to say I really enjoy reading your project posts, please keep it up! It's nice seeing someone take a gun and really work on it to get it how you want. I can't really participate in gun projects right now as much as I want to, so I tag along to see what you are up to. On the Tangfo, I am very interested in seeing what the comp does for the gun. I don't have a lot of compensated pistol experience beyond 9mm, so this will be very interesting.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
So…The Tanfo (and the Schofield) have gone up for sale to help fund a new project that will fill this high-performance, general-purpose, do-anything pistol role. I’ll soon be making a monumentally financially irresponsible decision in this regard…

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
I'm waiting with bated breath to see what is coming!
So…The Tanfo (and the Schofield) have gone up for sale to help fund a new project that will fill this high-performance, general-purpose, do-anything pistol role. I’ll soon be making a monumentally financially irresponsible decision in this regard...