Thoughts on the SIG Copperhead

Erik

Amateur
I am really trying to narrow down my next purchase I am choosing between the Sig Copperhead and the CZ Scorpion Micro. I really want to like the Copperhead but what really is throwing me off is the integrated Flash hider that looks like someone put an M80 in the barrel and light it right before shipment. I like that it is lighter but it would be impossible as a suppressor host unless you change out the barrel (maybe it did not run well suppressed so they went with an integrated flash hider). Just curious if this is Sig just doing Sig things or if there is a reason they went this route? Thoughts?

MPX-COPPERHEAD_Detail1.jpg

Blitzer613

Amateur
I like that it is lighter but it would be impossible as a suppressor host unless you change out the barrel (maybe it did not run well suppressed so they went with an integrated flash hider). Just curious if this is Sig just doing Sig things or if there is a reason they went this route? Thoughts?

MPX-COPPERHEAD_Detail1.jpg

I have a 5.5” 9mm AR that I assembled and put an MBX comp on it. The MBX redirects all the gas directly up. I mention that because even with the brace/stock extended completely the gas and carbon is INTENSE with no wind and unbearable with wind to your face. With a handgun we’re used to having the thing at arm’s length most of the time so it’s not an issue, but as these carbine platforms become shorter and shorter I can’t help but think that choices like this Sig is seeking ways to mitigate the gas and compression being evermore closer to the shooter’s face. This might not be the only reason, but certainly this had to be on their mind when designing a platform this short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCBRUIN

Amateur
The copperhead was their entry into the Army's SMG solicitation if I remember right. I personally think the MPX K length or MCX Rattler are much better choices if you're looking for a Sig in that size range. Shouldn't be as hard to suppress and the odds of blowing a finger off shooting unsuppressed should go way down. I'm personally leaning toward the CZ Scorpion Micro as my next purchase and as my backpack/truck gun.

Vinsynd

Amateur
I don’t understand what Sig is doing with the civilian MPX line. The 8” MPX Pistol/SBR and 4.5” MPX-K Pistol/SBR have been discontinued along with their handguards, the intermediate 6.5” barrel and 4.5”, 8” barrel kits. All that is left is the 16” PCC MPx and this MPX Copperhead abortion with no barrel or handguard options for either model.

I’m guessing this means the MPX isn’t selling as well as hoped? Why else would they gut the line up in this way.

Vinsynd

Amateur
And just like that, there is now a new 2019 model MPX-K with M LOK and a single stage timney flat trigger on the website. Definitely Sig doing Sig things.

Blitzer613

Amateur
No idea why the civilian version has zero accommodations for a suppressor. Seems to take most of the practicality out of the platform. That's why the Sig Copperhead remains a solid pass for me.

This doesn’t make sense to me either. I imagine they’ll correct this issue in a future version. Even if they’re assuming that no one wants to put a can on, why not allow them to choose?

Blitzer613

Amateur
And just like that, there is now a new 2019 model MPX-K with M LOK and a single stage timney flat trigger on the website. Definitely Sig doing Sig things.

Is definitely take the MPX-K over the Copperhead, but I think the better options are yet to come. I do think they’re trying to figure this platform out for the better overall though.