Thoughts on spare magazine carry.....

voodoo_man

Established
I always carry a higher than carry capacity spare magazine, since I live in a free state. So if I carry a 15 round G19 mag, I carry either a G17 mag or a 21rnd/22rnd magpul/ets magazine as a spare.

Too many people get hung up on reload speed due to timed drills and whatnot, while I see the reason behind timing your drills, unless you walk around that way all the time you are not doing yourself a service and definitely not "training like you fight."

I wrote an article a while back on this subject -> http://www.vdmsr.com/2017/01/the-carry-reload.html

MojoNixon

Established
Carry is a G 19 with 15 round mag with an Arredondo +3 base. Carried IWB in an XFER. Always at least one and frequently 2 G17 mags with Arredondo +5 bases. Carried in Kytex shooting Gear carriers.
I have at least 1000 rounds thru each of these mag/base combos to make sure they're reliable. They are. I'm totally confident in them. I do have a pair of PMAG GL 9 21's that may replace the G17 + 5 combos if they prove to be as reliable in the long term. Only reason for the possible change is the PMAG's are 1/3 the cost at the expense of only one round per reload. Pretty damn cost effective for potentially and hopefully the same reliability.

Update:
While I still like the concept behind the Kytex mag carriers (I still use one for my EDC light) they are too easy to accidentally tweak just enough so that they at inopportune times fall off of my belt. I have since switched to a single JM Custom AIWB carrier, that I replaced the stock clip with a PTD loop. This is not accidentally going to fall off of my belt and the retention while a bit stiffer feels real good and you can hear a good soft click as the mag seats. I like it. Planning on a second one here, soon. I did not make the change to the PMAG 21's for EDC as I had an issue with aluminum cased training ammo that decided the issue for me. I am trying out 3 of the limited 10 rounders to hopefully replace my ETS limited 10's (for travels behind enemy lines in California). While my ETS mags have been good once I got some spring issues straightened out early on, I hear too many bad stories about them to continue to trust them with my life and the lives of my family.

shoobe01

Established
I find it hard to comfortably/concealed do lots of stuff on the belt, so have options for a spare mag especially. Have carriers that work at AIWB, even if the gun isn't going there today. Have carriers to stuff them in pockets, so it stays clean and (especially for the Kahr) bullets stay inside. When I have a spare back pocket (my favorite pants have only one, where the wallet goes) I carry a compressed battle dressing in the same pocket as the mag. Keeps it stable, and if I need the mag, I may well need anti-bullet-hole activities right away also.

I try to practice like this. Actual practice, or (except for appendix as they hate that) for monthly IDPA matches I rarely use belt mounted mag carriers, and just toss the mags in random pockets. Yes, it slows me down, no I don't game any matches but use them as de-facto training.

I have been lazier than I should be about spares... until recently. No, no gunfight. But I got back to the car after a day at work to find a handful of Gold Dots, a floorplate, a retainer plate, a follower, and a spring on my seat. The floorplate snagged on something (seatbelt base?) and popped itself off. I didn't notice. And all day, 1 round, empty mag tube. Even just doing your day to day stuff, mags are the weak point.

MojoNixon

Established
After my update of yesterday I started thinking of an easier way to carry on my belt the 2 spare G-17 mags with +5 Arredondo basaes and will be giving the BFG belt mounted ten speed double mag pouch another go. I first tried it way back just after my first stroke and my hand strength just wasn't there, to the point I couldn't get a mag more than 1/2 way in. Hand strength is pretty equal to each other now(thanks to Captains of Crush 100 lb. hand springs)and stronger than 5 years ago so there shouldn't be any issues there any longer. Dexterity and coordination are a different matter that I continuously look for viable work arounds for things that require high levels of dexterity.

_teedubbs_

A spare mag is always a part of my carry. I like it to be forward of the hips (appendix) on my non-dominant side, opposite the gun.

Living in CO, although having grandfathered mags that are higher than the new legal limit, I’ve recently decided to stop carrying extended spare mags. So I generally carry a 15rd spare for my Glock 19 in a PHLster Skeleton mag carrier with a RCS IWB clip set at its highest position and in such a way that it cants the top of the magazine to my non-dominant side. This does two things for me; it helps me to more naturally position my hand on the magazine, and it aids in concealment.

The clip adds a little mass to the front of the carrier and aids in pressing the mag into the body for better concealment. When I run this carrier with a soft loop, it’s secure to the belt, but it rides higher. So without that added mass of the clip, the magazine can actually tilt away from my body-causing printing.

On days that I feel frostier and want an extended cap option, I have a really nice Guncraft magazine carrier that they make on special request. If you buy one of their regular carriers but put *DEEP* in the notes, they make a deeper carry option that is perfect for larger magazines and it feels almost exactly the same as the PHLster one I use more often. I have that one setup the exact same way as the PHLster carrier with a RCS clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

G19.5 with g17 mag (now a 19x with 19 round mag) and a 21 round magpul spare mag. The phlster flex system works very well for me with ten speed mag pouch. Still playing around with fixed blades. The SOCP will probably get switched out.

Attachments

• 03BD603F-B2EF-4D58-9B7D-DD810F34A78A.jpeg
    03BD603F-B2EF-4D58-9B7D-DD810F34A78A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • 3FDBA6B1-7975-430E-B9A2-37CD6BFC2E76.jpeg
    3FDBA6B1-7975-430E-B9A2-37CD6BFC2E76.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69

iFeelBad

My lower profile set up is a glock 43 iwb and 2 8 round mag in a dedicated pocket. Sometimes I will just carry one 8 round mag in my pocket and the other in the gun.

Normal carry is a glock 19 with a 15 round mag in it and a 19 round glock mag or magul 21 on my belt. The taller mags, and ones with the extended base plates especially, add a lot of comfort for me; the 15 and 17 round mags dig into my love handles without the extra height. Occasionally I will leave a 33rd mag in the car or my bag too.

This might sound stupid, but after playing too many survival horror video games as a child scrounging for ammo and a flashlight is something I am going to avoid as much as possible in reality. Just makes me feel better knowing I can reload my handgun or deal with a malfunctioning magazine.

I carry one extra 15 rounder for my Glock 19. With the holsters/pouches/carrier etc available today, why not carry one? I just do it because I might as well. PLUS carrying appendix in a T1CS Agis, it breaks up the “gun profile” printing.

I've been having this dilemma lately as well. I've begun carrying a Glock 19 again, but decided against a sidecar type holster. I really couldn't find any AIWB Mag Pouch that looked worth a damn. I've been seeing NeoMag pictures all over, so I finally decided to snag one. When it arrives, I'll update with how it works out.

https://theneomag.com/

MojoNixon

Established
I've been having this dilemma lately as well. I've begun carrying a Glock 19 again, but decided against a sidecar type holster. I really couldn't find any AIWB Mag Pouch that looked worth a damn. I've been seeing NeoMag pictures all over, so I finally decided to snag one. When it arrives, I'll update with how it works out.

https://theneomag.com/
The JM Custom AIWB mag pouch has been working well for me for about a year now.

BennyAdeline

Amateur
G19 in a tier one xiphos with one of thier mag holsters opposite AIWB

Shield 9 in sidecar

J frame with 1 speedloader Holder AIWB and a few speed strips in my back left

Beretta tomcat in my right pocket, spare mag AIWB.

If you’re going to have a party, bring enough cake for everyone.

MOT

I have been using the neomag for years now.
It’s going to drop the mag if you’re using the pocket for other things or doing physical stuff like running/fighting. It will however hold any of my 9mm mags. Oem glock mags, 19&43, with or without baseplates. And mags for my old S&W or hi power. I just periodically make sure the mag is seated throughout the day. Not the fastest, far from the slowest for reloading.
I have also been running the snake eater tactical elastic pouch. Holds any mag I’ve got, moves with my body and I’ve never lost a mag out of it. Doesn’t hold up as well over time and is a pain to get a mag in there.