Thoughts on POF Revolution?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
IMG_2932.JPG

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/revolution/

What does everyone think? I'm looking about a month forward when I will receive a $3,000 end-of-year bonus and wanting to apply it to a new AR rifle. Ideally I'm wanting something that could be used for as broad a spectrum of applications as possible - Home defense, range toy, training, hunting, long range, SHTF, etc. I'm well aware there is no such thing as "one gun" that is the perfect application for every discipline (Jack of all trades, master of none kind of thing). That being said, I'm not in the military, I'm not a LEO. I'm just a preparedness-minded citizen who likes building guns and shooting. I'm beginning to think the Revolution, as an ultralight 308 AR platform, may be the best option to cover as many of the applications as I want as well as I need.

So - Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is an ultralight, ultracompact 308 AR as close as we currently have to a "one gun" type rifle? If not, what would you suggest otherwise?

Ryan St.Jean

Guns with unusual proprietary parts worry me. It is light which is cool but not really a widely proven design. Then again I am boring and buy proven military designs made as close to spec as I can get, but my stuff also works.

A 16” PTR-91 or DS FAL would be a good do everything rifle.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The large number of proprietary components does concern me as well.

I would like to stick to something in an AR pattern though as that's the kind of rifle I already have some experience and familiarity with, and at least the manual of arms can be the same as other popular rifles if not parts commonality.

I was also looking at the PWS Mk216 as another piston 308 AR, but it's larger and heavier.

I'm not absolutely set on going with a piston system, but it would be my preference.

I'm also a lefty, so whatever I go with needs to be as ambidextrous as possible

user12358

Two thoughts here, mainly on the concept. What do you think you makes this better than a 12.5 to 14.5 AR-15 pattern rifle chambered in .223 as a do all? The only advantages I can see to an ultralight AR-308 are an extended range, AP ammo choices, and I have no idea here but I am assuming hunting bigger game? While the disadvantages would still be weight for both ammo and gun, capacity, and speed between shots.

Second, if you want to go and run a 16" large frame 308 why not go with a 16" 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor where you can get 147 gr going north of 2500 fps and stay above 1350 fps out to 1100 yards versus the 800 yards .308 will give you at sea level? Same capacity, just more range and less AP possibility.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Range for long distance and powerful enough caliber for hunting are both why I'm shying away from 5.56, particularly here in Colorado where minimum caliber for any decent sized game is .24/6mm.

A 16" 6.5 CM would be just about perfect, if I can find one that's also up to P&S's reliability and quality standards. POF makes one, but it's on a larger frame than the Revolution;

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/p65/

If they offered the Revolution chambered in 6.5 CM, I don't think I'd be considering much of anything else

user12358

Range for long distance and powerful enough caliber for hunting are both why I'm shying away from 5.56

That makes perfect sense. Just looking at the 6.5 you linked, it is only .8 lbs heavier and an inch longer which isn't too terrible although you are now at an 8 lb naked gun which all things considered isn't awful considering large frame LMTs and Knights, if memory serves, are 10ish and 9ish pounds, respectively. Also, for reference the SCAR 17 is 8 lbs in 16" configuration.

Are you seeing this gun as having an LPVO or a standard power optic and an offset red dot? And how much speed work are you looking to do up close with this rifle? I know my splits noticeably increase when going from 5.56 to 7.62.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I figured a 1-6x or 1-8x LPVO would lend itself best to the performance capabilities of the rifle.

I suppose basically what I'm looking for is something along the lines of a DMR - Powerful enough to reach out and touch at long ranges, but maneuverable enough to be used for CQB (home defense in my particular case) when needed

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The more I look at the POF P6.5 Edge 16" model the more perfect it seems...Relatively lightweight (for a large frame AR), not too long, full ambidexterity, piston-driven, and even costs less than the Revolution...

I think I may have found my rifle

MrMurphy

14.7 BCM, 5.56mm for all around use. 6.8spc for hunting. Except past 600 the 5.56 will handle what you need.

The 308 isint a bad round, nor is this the 6.5, or 5.56. But try to keep your objectives in mind. For SHTF I'd suggest more obundint calibers.

If you want a longer range rifle the 6.5 is a good round, and has a flatter flight path. But the 7.65/308 out of a 16 inch barrel is nothing to sneeze at either, plus there is more ammo around at the moment.

On the rifle, it is new. But with any thing that you want to trust your life on you have to put rounds through it and vet it your self. Whether that be a Knights gun or a pof.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The 308 isint a bad round, nor is this the 6.5, or 5.56. But try to keep your objectives in mind. For SHTF I'd suggest more obundint calibers.

If you want a longer range rifle the 6.5 is a good round, and has a flatter flight path. But the 7.65/308 out of a 16 inch barrel is nothing to sneeze at either, plus there is more ammo around at the moment.

On the rifle, it is new. But with any thing that you want to trust your life on you have to put rounds through it and vet it your self. Whether that be a Knights gun or a pof.

Cost and local availability of 6.5CM as opposed to 308 is certainly a factor as well. I think I need to make the rounds to some local ammo suppliers and compare the 6.5CM to 308...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
POF didn't have a great reputation last I remembered. Several old FB feeds covered it

Hmm...I'll do more research. My local range has a Revolution available as a rental gun as well, I'll probably rent it to try it and ask them about how it's held up for them next time I go shoot

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Cost and local availability of 6.5CM as opposed to 308 is certainly a factor as well. I think I need to make the rounds to some local ammo suppliers and compare the 6.5CM to 308...

You won't find cheap range/plinking ammo in 6.5CM like you can with .308, but every well .308 load you find that'll actually hold a group won't be cheap stuff either. For accurate loads, the two will be fairly comparable in cost. There's only one store near me that doesn't have any 6.5CM on the shelf. That store has an objectively terrible ammo selection. The only defensive 9mm they carry is Sig's defensive stuff. No Hornady, Gold Dots, Federal, nothing. Your local stores may not have 6 to 12 types of 6.5CM on the shelf like they may .308, but they'll have a few to choose from.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Having less expensive practice/range ammo will be an important factor since I'm looking at this as my primary range toy/training rifle as well. The greatest argument for 6.5CM over 308 is the slight advantage in long range (1,000+ yards) shooting, but when I assess the various uses I will have for this platform that is likely the area I will be doing the least of - Not none, but it will have a lot of other uses primarily before getting stretched out that far

user12358

Having less expensive practice/range ammo will be an important factor since I'm looking at this as my primary range toy/training rifle as well.

Just get a 14.5" or 16" 5.56. It will halve your ammo cost, you won't have proprietary parts to deal with, and you won't have to fight it as much when doing work up close. As someone who has a good deal of time on a 13" 7.62x51 and a 14.1" 6.5 CM they are much much harder to run up close at speed than their 5.56 equivalent. If this is an experiment just to see because you can then by all means go ahead but you would be able to cover all of your bases much better for the same cost with a 5.56 carbine and a 300 WM bolt gun.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
To be honest, experimenting with the "one gun" concept is the driving force behind looking at this platform and the project that I'd like to use it for, something I've been curious about for quite some time. I'm fully aware, specialized tools will always excel in their given lane and a Jack of all trades will always be a master of none - That being said, this gun won't be regularly taken out on missions, I don't patrol, and I'm not looking to win Precision Rifle or 3 Gun competitions. About the most serious role this gun is likely to ever be pushed into would be home defense, and even that is statistically highly unlikely (though it would certainly get the job done).

There's also certainly nothing to say I won't end up purchasing more specialized rifles for different purposes in the future, but for now I'm looking for one platform that will be "good enough" to try out multiple different disciplines and see which ones I really enjoy, and seeing how far the "one gun" concept could reasonably be taken with modern equipment

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
...I am realizing the above post sounds a bit too close to "attempting to justify a decision already made." I'll do more research, talk to my local range about the Revolution they have to rent, and rent it to see how it shoots and see what I think from there