Thoughts on Centurion Arms Rifle/Pistol Builds?

chasnojm

Marty has been making good rifles and components for a long time. Last winter after I found myself in possession of a free DD 12.5 barrel, contacted Centurion. They allowed me to send the barrel and a CT warcomp and I bought the remaining parts for a complete upper. I am very impressed with the upper and would be eager to see what the Centurion barrel will be like. At the time, his wife said they were switching Barrel manufactures, I cannot confirm what new CHF manufacture they went with or if they changed at all. Direct comparison, DD and Centurion sell the same equivalent gov profile, CHF 12.5in barrel. There difference is that DD has a 0.076 gas port and the Centurion is a 0.064. I find that the DD is a bit harsh when suppressed with an RC2 and the 0.064 would be much nicer (caveat being I'm not a smith). For $1200-1300, I'd say the Centurion Rifle is solid choice for performance and value from other names in duty grade firearms.

I have the CMR rail (11in) on my upper and I am very happy with it. The MLOK provides some nice enhancements, but since all I run is a light/GripStop, I just went with the original CMR (G2) vs the MLOK. It is also only offered in a 10.5 length. I really wanted an 11.5 for a 12.5in barrel, but it wasn't available.

For 12.5 barrel choices that I know of: Hodge (CHF), Daniel Defense (CHF), BCM, Ballistic Advantage, Triarc (Midlength gas sys), Noveske and now Centurion Arms (previously out of stock for a long time).

That's what I got for this time. I suggest if you qualify, apply for their Mil/Leo discount. PM me if you want to know more about my particular build/prices/invoices.

kyjd75

I have an 11.5 SBR that Monty made for me, carbine length gas system. It is remarkably soft shooting and has extremely good accuracy. I love dealing with Monty and his wife, Corrie. They are very nice and very easy to work with. You can actually have them build pretty much whatever you want, within reason. I highly recommend Centurion Arms.
fullsizeoutput_29c8.jpeg

pointblank4445

Established
I know most people don't give a shit about this, but I was super excited to replace my Proof barrel with this:

Ms3XFDq.jpg

pointblank4445

Established
Whoa, when did they switch to this? Doesnt say anything about Bartlein on their Recce barrel page.

You gotta call 'em and ask.

I saw the Bartlein barrel in last years ARbuild junkie article:
https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/centurion-arms-hammer-forged-barrels/

I asked the same question you did on M4C (foolishly expecting an answer)...[crickets]

I just called Corrie and asked. Apparently Monty is starting to spin up his own on Bartlein blanks. You just have to call and request it; price is the same. I have had good luck with their 18.5 and 16" stainless Douglas barrels in the past. While they have not printed the most impressive groups of the stainless match barrels I've owned, but they've been the most consistent. After using Bartlein's in other guns and seeing their life and performance, I was super excited for this.

I've had the gun together for about a month, and it has not disappointed. It shoots my full-blooded 77gr Black Hills a few fps below 2700fps and keeps showing me about 0.85 MOA with that ammo. Had some Swiss RUAG match stuff that I put about 12 rounds through one big hole you could cover with a nickel. Never could do that with an AR that wasn't a 20" bull barrel monstrosity.

For those not familiar with Bartlein

They're solid, pragmatic people that are doing amazing work.

Frank Green's posts on the Hide are incredibly helpful and insightful

Those who remember when Noveske was all the rage; they touted 30-32 rockwell hardness in their stainless barrels. Douglas barrels are notoriously soft. Most of your other top-end barrel manufacturers can show numbers in the high 20's. In sample testing, Bartlein's have pushed into 30-32 range.