Thoughts on 6.8 spc ?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator

Carlton Keith Parsons
May 25 at 9:21pm

Thoughts on 6.8 spc ?

"}" data-reactid=".8x" style="color: rgb(109, 132, 180); cursor: pointer;">Like · Comment
  • 2 people like this.

• Kevin Reed
    Love it!

However, with the huge appeal of 300 BLK and suppressors.... 6.8SPC SEEMS destined to play a support role.

That's unfortunate because it has superb terminal ballistics. But my OWN estimation is that it requires a larger bolt and lugs to be as reliable as an M4 is now (reference: bolt lug failures). It also benefits mightily for having a unique lower (as LWRCI have done) and unique magazine (PMAG/LWRCI collaboration).
    May 25 at 9:41pm · Edited · Like · 1

• Matt Armbrüster
    I love mine. 95gr Barnes drops hogs all day long.
    May 25 at 9:36pm · Like · 2

• Chris Taylor
    If I were going to get an alternate cartridge AR, it would probably be a 6.8.
    May 25 at 9:43pm · Like · 1

• Carlton Keith Parsons
    How about the mags. Will standard ar mags work. I know nothing about them. Trying to educate myself
    May 25 at 9:44pm · Like · 1

• Kevin Reed
    Standard AR mags will allow 7 or 8 rounds before they jam inside the magazine.

The PMAGs are for LWRCI lowers only.

PRI has 6.8 mags and I forget who else.

Cartridge OAL can be an issue depending on what you're using.

I'm contemplating purchasing an LWRCI for the reasons I mentioned above - dedicated lower and magazines. It would not be a fighting gun so I'm less concerned about the POTENTIAL bolt lug issues.
    May 25 at 9:48pm · Like

• Matt Armbrüster
    I run PRI mags made for the 6.8. Bought them through Wilson Combat. You can probably run 8 or so 6.8 rounds in a .223 before there's issues, or so I've read.
    May 25 at 9:48pm · Like

• Matt Landfair
    Has any governmental entity adopted it for duty use? I could see a pd doing it before anyone else.
    May 25 at 9:53pm · Like · 2

• Kevin Reed
    Matt, I recall having a conversation with someone who knew someone who worked at Crane (I never thought to bring up the conversation when guys were in the store) that bolt lugs were an issue. I would have to surmise what he meant to say was "bolt lugs under sustained full auto testing did not meet current M4 lives."

But this is speculation on my part - that I believe to be true. Look at the pressures and look at the bolt face cross sectional area as well as the bolt lug cross sectional area of, say, 5.56 NATO, 300 BLK and 6.8 SPC (and the hotter 6.8 SPC II). We all like the "hotter" stuff for a myriad of reasons but to increase the bolt face area (and this lugs) would require a new (larger diameter) upper receiver. It would have killed the project "from jump street" but it would not stop me from purchasing it! LOL!
    May 25 at 10:05pm · Like

• Carlton Keith Parsons
    Worth the purchase?
    May 25 at 10:07pm · Like · 1

• Kevin Reed
    Depends. Hog Slayer? Yep.

But so will .300 BLK and you can suppress that... Essentially a Mk18 with a superior terminal ballistic cartridge suppressed at one's bedside.

What's not to like???
    May 25 at 10:10pm · Like

• Matt Landfair
    We aren't talking hogs though.
    May 25 at 10:11pm · Like · 2

• Kevin Reed
    ^ that said, I still think 6.8SPC is still worth having. Keep it as an unsupressed hunting rifle that you could fight with if it came down to it.
    May 25 at 10:11pm · Like

• Matt Armbrüster
    Alex Rose, ammo isn't that hard to find. cabelas usually has a few boxes.
    May 25 at 10:12pm · Like · 1

• Matt Landfair
    For these options we need fighting first with hunting second.
    May 25 at 10:12pm · Edited · Like · 2

• Carlton Keith Parsons
    Would you take it into a firefight and trust your life or someone else's on it
    May 25 at 10:12pm · Unlike · 2

• Matt Armbrüster
    From what I've seen it do to hogs, yes.
    May 25 at 10:13pm · Like

• Kevin Reed
    Oh, I'd surely fight with it with NO hesitations whatsoever.

Being an egg headed engineer I'd inquire to see who offers melonited "enhanced" (nice fillet radii bolt lugs) bolts and go that route - and I KNOW they exist....See More
    May 25 at 10:14pm · Like

• Matt Armbrüster
    But would I take it over a .223? No, mainly due availability.
    May 25 at 10:15pm · Like · 1

• Kevin Reed
    Essentially, Matt. That's why I classify it as a "hunting cartridge". But it was developed as a superior fighting cartridge and I believe it is.

If I ran into Aladdin's lamp is ask for a gazillion wishes whether I had possession of the lamp or not and that the geni would work for me forever. Stay with me....See More
    May 25 at 10:34pm · Edited · Like · 1

• Sean Manix
    6.8 spc build we put together a few years ago. The ballistics make it an Ideal DMR round. I havnt found another round I like better in an AR yet.

May 25 at 10:43pm · Like · 1

• Kevin Reed
    I feel you, Sean. I like subsonic 300 BLK better (for home defense and hog culling).
    May 25 at 10:44pm · Like · 1

• Sean Manix
    Carlton, Yes i would take it to a fight. Better barrier performance and enough parts comonality to keep it within the squad. Better yet, get everyone on your squad to have one.
    May 25 at 10:45pm · Like · 1

• Carlton Keith Parsons
    Nxt question. Range compared to .308
    May 25 at 11:27pm · Like

• Kevin Reed
    Being an intermediate cartridge it does not have the range - or power of 7.62 NATO. It's effective range similar to 5.56 NATO.
    May 25 at 11:28pm · Like

• Sean Manix
    It does the good lords work decent till about 750yards
    May 25 at 11:58pm · Like

• Kevin Boland
    It's dead Jim...

6.8 came out before reliable 7.62mm guns.

ANSI models will show you why you'd never want to go to war with a standard type relieved bolt and standard M16 barrel extension.
    I'm curious about a SCAR bolt and barrel extension though as they are much beefier.

However it drops like a rock past 400, and doesn't offer much that could not be gotten in other platforms. 5.56mm is available with good ammo choices, .300BK is superior in the subsonic, and 7.62 spanks it for range/barriers.
    May 26 at 12:39am · Unlike · 3

• Cory Esson
    6.8 spc, solving problems that don't exist.
    May 26 at 3:34am · Like · 2

• Carlton Keith Parsons
    Explain
    May 26 at 3:35am · Like

• Cory Esson
    It's a cartridge that requires special mags and bolt yet doesn't offer anything (other than high cost) better than 7.62x39 or .300 bk. At least with 7.62x39 you get an affordable round. And .300 bk you can use the same mags and bolt. It's just a barrel swap.
    May 26 at 3:40am · Like

• Kevin Boland
    See my post. A round was wanted for better terminal performance. Those rounds exist.
    What does it do other than add a separate logistics support chain?...See More
    May 26 at 3:42am · Like

• Kevin Boland
    It's one bonus that .300BK doesn't have is it won't chamber in and kaboom your 5.56mm gun.
    May 26 at 3:43am · Like · 4

• Buck Thomas
    Im a civilian now...i can shoot people with whatever i want. I have used it since it came out in 04'ish??? I find it funny that everyone complains about the mag issue when the militarys 7.62 gas gun wont run on the most commonly available magazines. Buy PRI magazines..stuff with good ammo, dial 6 whole extra minutes at 1000 yards over the .308 with 175grain SMK's...kill babies. Engaging up close? You can put three rounds in a threat by the time your average guy can center punch a dude with a .308 and recover sight picture enough to engage again. Look at the terminal ballistics vs the 5.56 from DocGKR. It suppressed hearing safe (only thing i give a fuck about) with every can i have shot? I have not broken a bolt yet but get why dudes freak out about that.
    May 26 at 8:23am · Like · 4

• Chad Mercer
    The effective range is directly related to barrel length. Sure, you get a bit over 400 with an 8" bbl. A 14" or 16" would get you to six bills.

The Royal Guards have a shit ton of rounds downrange with it, hundreds of millions of 95gr Gold Dots, and they are quite happy with it.

Haters gonna hate. That RG program was intended to give it legs. The only reason the company undertook it was if it was done as a stand-alone, which fixes the issues. The plan at the time was to release the design to the industry, once the contract was fulfilled.
    May 26 at 8:34am · Like · 1

• Kevin Boland
    Let's be honest with ranges. Avg Army soldier is at best a 200m shooter with 556. A round with more drop isn't going to extend his range.

I've shot F class matches with an ACOG M4A1 combo. Doesn't make a 1k gun......See More
    May 26 at 8:40am · Like

• Chad Mercer
    The RG put out over a million rounds every two weeks, during the fielding of the UCIW. The only reported issues were a couple bad primers.

At USASOC we shot it at the demo day alongside every whiz bang PR on the market. That 8" bastard with a 4moa T1 hit every piece of steel on that 400m range that they hit.
    May 26 at 8:40am · Like · 2

• Chad Mercer
    Customer wanted to replace thier mp5 with a rifle. They wanted a 6.8

The company sold them on the idea that it needed to be a ground up, stand alone build in order to work.

Hence the Six8 branding.
    May 26 at 8:43am · Edited · Like · 3

• Tim Orrock
    FN did make at least one SCAR in 6.8 back in the day.

May 26 at 8:57am · Like · 1

• Kevin Boland
    And vanish without a trace. Just like the requirements
    May 26 at 9:19am · Like · 2

• Jonathan Gifford
    I think the 6.8 would be much more "dead" if it weren't for Jordan and the millions of dollars they pumped into the project.
    May 26 at 9:43am · Like

• Chad Mercer
    Saudi, not Jordan.
    May 26 at 10:12am · Like · 2

• Kevin Boland
    After the FN F2000 why not trust their small arms acumen
    May 26 at 10:34am · Like

• Chad Mercer
    They do like to bedazzle $250k luxury cars. Those guys specifically were replacing MP5s.

Kevin knows the deal, but for you others... Full disclosure, I have been on contract with LWRC for 3 years and was around alot during the Royal Guard deal. My f...See More
    May 26 at 10:46am · Edited · Unlike · 5

• Kevin Boland
    Yup I would've liked to actually grab a set of those because I think six8 is an interesting round. However if I was going to redo a lower receiver and mag I'd start entirely from scratch.
    May 26 at 10:51am · Like · 1

• Matt Landfair
    Austin - good reading
    May 26 at 10:53am · Like

• Austin Overman
    If I'm going small caliber I go 556. If I'm going suppressed I go 300BLK, if I'm going "hit em far" I'm going 308 caliber of families, if I'm going "hit em in a different area code I'm going 338 or cheytac.
    May 26 at 11:06am · Like · 1