Thor TQ

NSA

Crosspost from LF:

I have been very interested in the THOR TQ for a while. They haven't seem to be able to push the product out for general consumption and at this point I don't even remember when and where I first found the Thor TQ as a product.

Check it out:

www.thortqDOTcom/

It has some interesting videos about self application and include a further video that addresses entrapped limb, which is an interesting take because it addresses some of the inherent dexterity issues one might find on some of the CAT or SOFT-Wide. It also involves the test with the RMT (ratcheting medical tourniquet) which brings a interesting level of improvement, although I would argue that the Thor TQ takes it another step.

Full disclosure, I have never held, used, tested, nor have any affiliation with the Thor TQ. I just wanted to put this on the radar for folks because I believe its another step forward in TQ design that is novel and strays away from some of the conventional design features of the 3 mainstays as approved by the CoTCCC (namely, CAT, SOFT, and EMT).

I had previous interest when the RMT came out (https://www.ratchetingbucklesD...medical-tourniquets/)

but the fact that there's design features (ratcheting + astrialpin buckle) that are being implemented seems to take the idea of commercially prefabricated tourniquet a step further. It also bears to mention that the RMT had this completely unnecessary test in sub-zero temperatures for four months without losing tension. That's a bit of overkill for me, but it just goes to show how far these devices are going to try to break into the market.

Just judging from the picture, however, I see that the buckle isn't your usual metal cobra type buckle, but one that's made by ITW

http://austrialpinDOTnet/product/gt-cobra/

I don't see any specifications addressed on the austrialpin website regarding the tensile strength of the buckle (since its made by polymer, not metal). This gives me pause as to what the Thor TQ will eventually put out, but since its not even commercially available at this point, I think that points somewhat moot.

Revision - After second look, the GT Cobra buckle I was looking at actually states that the polymer buckle piece will hold up to 2.2kN, which is very impressive.

I also appreciate the D ring implement at the end of the Thor TQ, which makes it easy to purchase that during one handed applications. It seems to be a very well thought out solution.

Ultimately, the questions I have is what price point we can look for when the Thor TQ comes and and obviously the dimensions it represents that I hope will fulfill the requirements of effective TQs under the CoTCCC guidelines.

I know that CoTCCC hasn't updated their recommended list for a while and that has created certain stigmas to bringing other TQs into the fold of discussion, but I believe that this discussion is kind of past due.

I look forward to anybody's input and if you have other TQs that you want to throw into the mix for discussion, I'm fair game too.

I also see that there's another old discussion regarding the the RATS prodcuts here:
https://primaryandsecondary.com/for...iquet-case-studies-or-actual-use-reviews.793/

This would be an interesting point to bring anything new that's on the table.

TacMed

Amateur
Has this been fielded anywhere that you know of? I'd be interested in knowing if it was chosen over the proven CAT or SOFTT-W, any why, and real world experience with it.

NSA

Folks, I got my hands on the RMT (M2 Ratcheting Medical Tourniquet). Attached a few pictures for your reference.

Attachments

• Thor comparison.PNG
    Thor comparison.PNG
    202.1 KB · Views: 34
  • RMT grooves.PNG
    RMT grooves.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • RMT Ratchet Mechanism.PNG
    RMT Ratchet Mechanism.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • RMT Side Profile.PNG
    RMT Side Profile.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 32

NSA

When completely laid out, the TQ measures just past 38 inches
the teeth that the ratchet mechanism bits into cannot be manually disengaged completely from the ratchet mechanism
the small pull string is a nice addition to the application of the ratchet motion (especially with gloved hands)
the ratcheting mechanism is difficult to disengage by accident

Attachments

• ratched all the way.PNG
    ratched all the way.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • Ratchet teeth mechanism.PNG
    Ratchet teeth mechanism.PNG
    1,022.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Rivets to the tourniquet.PNG
    Rivets to the tourniquet.PNG
    907.2 KB · Views: 23

wcy

Where can somebody buy one?
My first concern is the possibility of accidentally slipping the limb through the wrong loop.
I do like that it looks effective on small diameter limbs.
One can't T&E when you can't touch one.
I look forward to them becoming available, cuz I wanna play with it!

NSA

Where can somebody buy one?
My first concern is the possibility of accidentally slipping the limb through the wrong loop.
I do like that it looks effective on small diameter limbs.
One can't T&E when you can't touch one.
I look forward to them becoming available, cuz I wanna play with it!

You mean the THOR TQ (which is not yet available) or the RMT (https://www.ratchetingbucklesDOTcom/applications/military/medical-tourniquets/)?

There has been no release date for the THOR TQ, and medical devices tend to take a very long time to vetted and marketed out.

When I teach any application of TQs, I try to also show students some possible alternatives so that the concept of a tourniquet can also be widely driven across different commercial platforms. As these ratchet concepts become increasingly available, even if the .mil side doesn't adopt it, it can still provide a useful bridge to the changing landscape of available products.

NSA

Currently, ratcheting TQs overall do not have great data to support their use over CoTCCC recommended TQs. These TQs can be discussed, but let's not advocate for non-recommended TQs.

Sir:

I agree with your assessment. I don't recommend anything within a course that is non-CoTC3 approved. I also am not recommend any of those non-CoTC3 committee approved products here. I recognize that there are many CLC (Combat Lifesaver) courses now that show many tools that are commercially or NSN available to the line units, but as instructors and establishments don't got to lengths to research and show students those tools and continue to teach legacy models.

A simple example of this is the difference between Gen 7 CAT TQs versus previous generations. I know that I personally carry Gen 6 TQs, but have shelled out my own money to purchase Gen 7 because my instruction has an emphasis on what newer RFIs may bring to the line Soldier. There are different characteristics that simply doesn't get translated to today's non-medic.

Gen 7 CAT: https://www.narescueDOTcom/military-products/massive-hemorrhage/combat-application-tourniquet-c-a-t

Furthermore, I also see that the EMT TQ and the SOF-T TQ are shown/recommended by the CoTC3, but they are not being fielded, but is commonly found in bunkers, CLS bags found OCONUS. Also, there is a design discrepancy between the legacy SOF-T and the newer SOF-T Wide (CoTC3 recommended). Any end user that I demonstrate TQ as a concept to are required to pass through those station that demonstrate the material and technique differences.

EMT- http://ctomsDOTca/Mission-Essential.../Emergency-and-Military-Tourniquet-EMT_2.html

I don't point out these prodcuts/content to insult your intelligence, but to expand upon the subject because I know there are many readers whom are non-medics that may not be privy to these detailed differences. I hope this expands the discussion.

Thanks for the illumination!

-NSA

wcy

You brought up the THOR TQ, and that is the one I was asking about purchasing.
I read loud and clear on the no release date.

Andrew D. Fisher

Medical Guy
Staff member
CoTCCC is in the process of evaluating TQs. We shall see what makes the list. CLS classes should only be teaching CoTCCC recommended equipment. A major problem with military instruction at the unit level is the broad variability and lack of standardization and consistency. As of March 2018, TCCC is now required for all deploying troops across the DoD. That is good news for everyone. I see SOFTTWs at the unit level here at home station and deployed, not sure what's the issue. Certainly, the DoD logistics system is jacked up and probably still issues the morphine syrettes.

JBP

Crosspost from LF:

I have been very interested in the THOR TQ for a while. They haven't seem to be able to push the product out for general consumption and at this point I don't even remember when and where I first found the Thor TQ as a product.

Check it out:

www.thortqDOTcom/

It has some interesting videos about self application and include a further video that addresses entrapped limb, which is an interesting take because it addresses some of the inherent dexterity issues one might find on some of the CAT or SOFT-Wide. It also involves the test with the RMT (ratcheting medical tourniquet) which brings a interesting level of improvement, although I would argue that the Thor TQ takes it another step.

Full disclosure, I have never held, used, tested, nor have any affiliation with the Thor TQ. I just wanted to put this on the radar for folks because I believe its another step forward in TQ design that is novel and strays away from some of the conventional design features of the 3 mainstays as approved by the CoTCCC (namely, CAT, SOFT, and EMT).

I had previous interest when the RMT came out (https://www.ratchetingbucklesD...medical-tourniquets/)

but the fact that there's design features (ratcheting + astrialpin buckle) that are being implemented seems to take the idea of commercially prefabricated tourniquet a step further. It also bears to mention that the RMT had this completely unnecessary test in sub-zero temperatures for four months without losing tension. That's a bit of overkill for me, but it just goes to show how far these devices are going to try to break into the market.

Just judging from the picture, however, I see that the buckle isn't your usual metal cobra type buckle, but one that's made by ITW

http://austrialpinDOTnet/product/gt-cobra/

I don't see any specifications addressed on the austrialpin website regarding the tensile strength of the buckle (since its made by polymer, not metal). This gives me pause as to what the Thor TQ will eventually put out, but since its not even commercially available at this point, I think that points somewhat moot.

Revision - After second look, the GT Cobra buckle I was looking at actually states that the polymer buckle piece will hold up to 2.2kN, which is very impressive.

I also appreciate the D ring implement at the end of the Thor TQ, which makes it easy to purchase that during one handed applications. It seems to be a very well thought out solution.

Ultimately, the questions I have is what price point we can look for when the Thor TQ comes and and obviously the dimensions it represents that I hope will fulfill the requirements of effective TQs under the CoTCCC guidelines.

I know that CoTCCC hasn't updated their recommended list for a while and that has created certain stigmas to bringing other TQs into the fold of discussion, but I believe that this discussion is kind of past due.

I look forward to anybody's input and if you have other TQs that you want to throw into the mix for discussion, I'm fair game too.

I also see that there's another old discussion regarding the the RATS prodcuts here:
https://primaryandsecondary.com/for...iquet-case-studies-or-actual-use-reviews.793/

This would be an interesting point to bring anything new that's on the table.

this is available now - https://us.rapid-stop.com/