These aren't my pants...

Boy Scout

Howdy all! So, what's everyone wearing for BDU-style pants these days? I have gone from a door-kicking warrant team K9 handler to a foot-patrolling campus cop. (I took an early retirement for a mad pay raise and school benefits.)

Back in my fun days, I wore 5.11 Stryke pants issued by the Department, and some knock-off Cryes with knee pads. These days, I'm doing a LOT less (read: none) foot chases and fence climbing, and spend the vast majority of my time walking buildings on campus. I'm issued Stryke pants again, but I have a lot of leeway from the brass as to what I can wear. They only care as long as it's navy blue. I'm looking for suggestions on lightweight pants, almost like a hiking or bike patrol nylon-ish material. Uniform top is a polo shirt and outer vest carrier.

I knew Vertx had their airflow Phantoms at one time, but beyond that, I don't know much about the new hotness out there. I'm not buying Cryes, but I'll spend $80-$100 for a good pair of pants. Anyone have any suggestions?

HighTower

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/wrangler-ripstop-cargo-pants#hero=0

Im not sure if these are still in mass production, but for 20-30 bucks these pants are a steal. Cotton, Rip-stop, and seven pockets (hidden pocket in one of the cas rgo pockets)

If knee pads are needed, id sew in an internal pocket behind the knees for some dense foam... hopefully not needed but not a expensive or complex upgrade.

Following that, buying surplus ACU and the Airforce cargo pants and dye them Navy Blue.

Thise would be my budget ultra considerate recommendations.

MojoNixon

Established
https://www.wrangler.com/shop/wrangler-ripstop-cargo-pants#hero=0

Im not sure if these are still in mass production, but for 20-30 bucks these pants are a steal. Cotton, Rip-stop, and seven pockets (hidden pocket in one of the cas rgo pockets)

If knee pads are needed, id sew in an internal pocket behind the knees for some dense foam... hopefully not needed but not a expensive or complex upgrade.

Following that, buying surplus ACU and the Airforce cargo pants and dye them Navy Blue.

Thise would be my budget ultra considerate recommendations.
The Wranglers are available at times at Walmart. $19.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
I’ve had several pair of the wranglers and if the blue is the right shade they are hard to beat. I bought a few pairs of the stone colored ones for civies on deployment because they were so versatile yet disposable. They can be dressed up or worn hard and the breath well and are light. If they are not then 5.11 and Vertx are gonna have a pair of pants for you. Just pick your color then style.

Fatboy

Established
First Tactical has some pants that look decent. The pocket layout looks to be well thought out for working around duty gear.
I would avoid the Blauer offerings. We wear those for work and I don't think anyone is a fan of them. They get dirty quick, fit strange (the crotch is really high. Like testicle crushing high), and they don't hold up well where gear runs on them.

This is a challenging question because its very subjective. I really like the 5.11 Apex line they are very light weight have enough pockets and don't fade for a long time. That being said I don't know if you want to deal with the zippers. Or if you need more pockets. 5.11 has gotten fairly adorable and has come out with more comfortable pants. The problem is finding a place that carries all of them to try on

weaver1032

I am a HUGE fan of the First Tactical pants. They are the only 'tactical' pants that I will buy anymore. Their Version 2 pants are great. For duty use, their Tactix BDU's are perfect. I've been wearing the Tactix BDU's on patrol for about 4 years and have found them to be perfect. I work a busy urban area and get over a year out of a pair (wearing each pair 2-3 days of 8-14hr shift per week). They look decent enough to wear for court (only for prelims not trials) and are comfortable and durable. I've previously used 5.11 PDU's, Blauer Streetgear, 5.11 Stryke, Tru-Spec 24-7, and a couple Vertx models.

Boy Scout

I tried the Riggs a while back, didn’t fit me well for some reason that I can’t recall, but I know I didn’t like them enough that I returned them.

I’m looking for lightweight, lighter than a 5.11 Stryke or summer weight BDU, if such a thing exists. Darn near almost something like a Patagonia or Prana hiking pant, something with some tech fabric. I didn’t know if anyone was wearing something besides the run-of-the-mill BDU pants.

MojoNixon

Established
There is another option that I’ve been wearing lately. LAPG Core Cargo. Lightweight ripstop. They come in Navy as well all the usual other colors. $19.99. I’ve got 3 pairs with about a dozen washes on my first pair with no fading. They’re just work pants for me but hold up well in the warehouse and machine shop. They have a slight stretch waist that makes AIWB carry easy.