The time came to get real with myself about myself.... *Long post warning*

bobula

I've been meaning to post this for awhile. I've been 'hefty' almost all of my life. There came a time where I decided I wanted to be in law enforcement. At age 21 I enrolled in an independent extended format California Police academy. I was 5'6" and over 300 pounds. How horrific is that? My academy instructors never doubted me, never insulted me, never bashed the work I did. They did however heavily emphasize how below the standard I was and exactly how much harder I needed to work. I struggled, badly. Shin splints from all the fat beating my bones, taking an hour to recover from basic workouts, an actualization that I was going to be unable to effectively perform the job. The teaching staff was amazing, staying late for extra work outs, helping me with setting up a healthy eating plan, I even had 1 instructor loan me money to buy proper running shoes. In a year I dropped 107 pounds and was able to pass the POST exam and the additional physical required by the academy I attended.
Fast forward 9 years. Just barely over 30 and telling myself I was fit enough. 9 years of eating like I was working out 6 days a week when I wasn't, year of quick work lunches and dinners from the warmer at a gas station, and years of avoiding the issue of my cardio and muscle dropping while my waist ballooned. I then randomly stumbled upon an article written by a member here.
http://monderno.com/training/stop-fooling-yourself/
At first I was offended, then started making excuses, justifying being "fit enough" for the job. I stepped on the scale and found I was back up to the 280 pound arena.... then I realized my pants from day 1 of the academy fit... it was time for a PERMANENT change. This was unacceptable to me. I started second guessing every single call I had handled. Could I really have followed through with my plan had it gone south? Could I really win that fight? Could I really keep retention of my gun if someone who wasn't morbidly obese wanted to take it from me? I had a realization I had been fooling myself, badly. Luckily I hadn't had someone call my bluff to myself, but it would be a matter of time. Since the article first crossed my screen I have dedicated myself to not becoming a victim of my personal failure to physical fitness. I am no longer a sworn LEO, but physical fitness and firearms skill are just as critical for my job. Since late August of 2014 I have dropped over 50 pounds while greatly increasing my strength and cardio. I honestly carry a printout of the article in my gym and patrol bag to motivate me when I want to get lazy. I also presented this article to my armed guys last November. Several took it to heart and together 5 other guys and i have dropped a combined total of over 250 pounds.

A special thank you to Mr. Cowan. Your words may have literally saved lives.

I work for a very rural Indian Reservation as an armed patrol officer and firearms instructor. I want to be up front about that as there are some very similar issues to LEO work, but I don't want anyone accusing me of fluffing my job.