The Roland Special

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
Considering how Roland has his set up and the experience he has - why would you ask for anything less? Who cares if it might be uncomfortable shot from retention - if the entire gun is better do to this setup, why compromise due to discomfort in one shooting position?

Default.mp3

Established
Considering how Roland has his set up and the experience he has - why would you ask for anything less? Who cares if it might be uncomfortable shot from retention - if the entire gun is better do to this setup, why compromise due to discomfort in one shooting position?
Well, the problem is I'm not sure how Roland is using this set-up. I'm sure y'all can't answer due to OPSEC, but I mean, is he using it while jocked up? For covert carry? Will he have eye pro on? How does this set-up play with contact lenses? Etc. With compensated guns, I'm well aware that I don't know what I don't know, so I'm wondering just how much of an impact the gases and debris will have on me, particularly since it'd be less than 8" away venting almost directly into my face, using my preferred retention shooting position. Would it just be painful, or could it cause serious eye injury? If the latter, does the comp then really offer enough performance improvement to risk that issue?

While the shooting from retention is just one shooting position, as a civilian living in a urban area, I believe that me having to shoot while entangled would be far more likely than having to burn down a target at range, which is why I'm having this struggle. And since I'd have to have everything custom fabbed, as I don't use a Glock or M&P, I'd like to have a better idea of what I'm jumping into, since it won't be cheap and will probably have little resale value.

Grizzly

Well, the problem is I'm not sure how Roland is using this set-up. I'm sure y'all can't answer due to OPSEC, but I mean, is he using it while jocked up? For covert carry? Will he have eye pro on? How does this set-up play with contact lenses? Etc. With compensated guns, I'm well aware that I don't know what I don't know, so I'm wondering just how much of an impact the gases and debris will have on me, particularly since it'd be less than 8" away venting almost directly into my face, using my preferred retention shooting position. Would it just be painful, or could it cause serious eye injury? If the latter, does the comp then really offer enough performance improvement to risk that issue?

While the shooting from retention is just one shooting position, as a civilian living in a urban area, I believe that me having to shoot while entangled would be far more likely than having to burn down a target at range, which is why I'm having this struggle. And since I'd have to have everything custom fabbed, as I don't use a Glock or M&P, I'd like to have a better idea of what I'm jumping into, since it won't be cheap and will probably have little resale value.
I'm having a hard time picturing a scenario/position where you will be shooting while one of the vents will be pointed at your eye from 8" away.

Default.mp3

Established
I'm having a hard time picturing a scenario/position where you will be shooting while one of the vents will be pointed at your eye from 8" away.
Perhaps not directly, but certainly in the vicinity:
024KaXiO.jpg

L7ayIr4S.jpg

Matt

Staff member
Update to the Roland Special ordering process: No need to specify that the barrel is for a carry gun when ordering from KKM. I had an opportunity to speak with Mr. Luke McIntire (CEO of KKM Precision) today and when asked he stated that carry gun or match gun, all their chambers for Glock barrels w/comp are cut to SAAMI spec and unless you're using some garbage out-of-spec ammo then it will run fine. Just clean up the comp every 500 or so rounds to keep the carbon build up from getting too bad.

KevinB

Even if that is Craig sized ;)- the gun is at least 12+" away from face - and that is a moment in time snap shot of how he is positioned - during a fluid action.

My belief is that if the gun was closer - or brought closer during the event and needed to be discharged, your not going to be concerned with the port at all.

Default.mp3

Established
I don't know if I can take that seriously though, you are wearing brown pants with a brown shirt and a tan belt...
Dude... note that Craig even has a brown Zulu strap for his Tuna. That's called attention to detail. If only he was using an Lipsey's FDE Glock...

Even if that is Craig sized ;)- the gun is at least 12+" away from face - and that is a moment in time snap shot of how he is positioned - during a fluid action.

My belief is that if the gun was closer - or brought closer during the event and needed to be discharged, your not going to be concerned with the port at all.
I really dunno if it's more than a foot away. But regardless, I'm still of the belief that a comp at that approximate distance would fucking suck. The only question is, how much? According to Craig, Tulsa PD issued compensated guns for while, and while it did suck, it wasn't debilitating levels of suck, just objectionable levels of suck, which jives with what DocGKR has said. Still wavering, but right now it's moved beyond retention shooting doubts to issues with cost, support, etc.

KevinB

LVMP has some factory ported Glocks - other than Glock is not supporting anymore - they said they had no real issues with those guns.

Oh I agree on it sucking - my point was similar to folks who complaint about handguard heat when shooting a demo gun that has 5+ mags thru it back to back --> If you really need to shoot that way, that specific suck will not be noticed...

Mick-boy

VIP
I guess the idea is catching on....

10473973_959917844052923_5938663246400723471_n.jpg

Salient Arms International Prototype for the Glock 19 Pistol with RMRcut/sight, match-fit barrel/compensator, and SAI Mag Guide (minimalist Magwell). SAI Mag Guide and SAI/VTAC baseplates available at vikingtactics.com . Photo by @southerncrossllc

Hooker

Well, I guess you can add my pistol to this thread. I made this about 2 years ago now. It runs OK, but the bbl is definitely ammo sensitive. I tried to run some 165gr Fiocchi ball and it failed to feed every single round. It does work with most ammo, however. The slide work was done by L&M precision, its an ATOM mount. 4 MOA T1. Replaced the Gen 4 trigger with a Gen 3, and polished it up. Minus connector. A little relief work under the trigger guard with the ol' dremel tool. Believe it or not, I CCW this rather often with a MIC.

IMG_2078 by Austin Scott, on Flickr

AT Armor

Vendor
Came back from ATEi this week. Too things I NEVER thought I would have on a CCW pistol...an electronic sight and a comp. Lifelong learning...always in style. Im glad I made the upgrades.

Been using the comped bbl for a couple of months, very easy to shoot. Only issue encountered is heat buildup in the comp...modded holster Im currently using has the comp exposed so it can get a painful on the leg during sessions. I just quiet my inner vagina and it all works out.

image.jpg