The Roland Special

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
IMG_20150325_172252.jpg
There is a pistol concept running through this group that some of us call the "Roland Special". Glock 19, KKM comped barrel, suppressor height sights, Trijicon RMR06, slide work by ATEi- front and top serrations and mounting of RDS, Uboat, with some internal adjustments.

Rilimva

Amateur
How do you like the KKM comp (I have one on the way)

Hows the difference in recoil/muzzle rise, noise, concussion, especially side concussion aka: does it play well with others around you? and last, have you tried it with NVGs ?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I feel my follow up shots are faster. I have not noticed anything unusually unpleasant with noise or concussion when watching others shoot it.

I have had several non-shooters (all female) shoot it and they seemed to really like it.

I have not done any no ambient light shooting with it yet.

Detmongo

Amateur
I bet she shoots nice and flat. Have you shot ant +p out of it and if so does it shoot flatter with the hotter ammo.

ptrlcop

Established
Do you have any numbers to support your feeling that your follow up shots feel faster(split times)?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I have nothing other than a feeling. I will take my shot timer out next time I think of it!

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
Interesting that this topic should come up. After seeing benefits of RDS use on duty pistols, a number of officers around here had sub-compact back-up (BUG) and compact off-duty pistols equipped with RDS’s (primarily S&W Shield, G26, S&W M&P9c, and G19). Interestingly, many felt the compact pistols with shorter slides were actually easier to shoot accurately and rapidly with the RDS compared to the larger duty pistols. With an RDS equipped pistol, there is no “sight radius”, so there is no accuracy benefit to having a pistol with a longer slide. In addition, many end-users report that when shooting rapidly, it is easier to track the RDS dot shot-to-shot when mounted on a shorter slide. As a result, many shooters who previously used long slide, iron sighted pistols like the G34/G35 to benefit from the enhanced sight radius on demanding shots requiring precision accuracy have now found they can use a smaller pistol like a G19 with an RDS and shoot just as accurately with the smaller pistol as they previously would with longer iron sighted handguns. Going one step further, folks found that with a compensator installed, they can have a compact handgun that is softer shooting, lighter weight, and offers better accuracy than their previous irons sighted long slide pistols. As a result, late last year, we began testing the use of RDS equipped G19's with KKM compensators attached. Note that this is described in our 5 yr updated RDS test report.

G19%20comp%20RMR06%20x300U_zpshfaoztua.jpg

The KKM compensated G19's have a bit more blast than a stock G19, but not anything to complain about. In slow fire at 25 yds, they shoot just as accurately as any other G19 with a match barrel--I shot two KKM compensated G19's yesterday slow fire at 25 yds and got a 100-5x & 99-3x. Where the KKM compensated G19's shine is in rapid fire, they are slightly faster, but more importantly result in much tighter shot groups, especially at longer distances. I am a huge fan of the DOW at pistol-forum; a couple of recent DOW allowed quantifiable data to be gleaned from shooting the same drill with a G19 with both a KKM compensated barrel and a non-compensated KKM barrel: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?15590-Week-106-Three-Bills and https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?15746-Week-108-GM-Test. The compensated G19 was consistently faster to shoot--particularly at longer ranges, generally offered better accuracy, and had noticeably tighter groups. When shot 10 rounds slow fire at 25 yds on an NRA B8 target, the KKM comp barrel shot 99-3x, the KKM standard barrel shot 100-3x.

The G19 with KKM compensator is the same size as the previously used G34's and fit into standard G34 holsters, including the excellent Safariland ALS 6354DO.

G34%20vs%20G19%20comp_zps3mtlmkka.jpg

G19%20comp%20in%206354DO%20x300U_zpsd3ydjwjw.jpg

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
My Safariland ALS 6354DO made for a G34 does not like my G19. Is there something to adjust without me needing to cut the holster?

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
Depending on how the RDS is positioned on the slide, the rotating ALS plastic piece that locks onto the ejection port may need to be trimmed--almost all of ours have had to be modified.