The Roland Special

MojoNixon

Established
You'll need a system that doesn't require a threaded barrel. Luckily, several manufacturers have already prepared for the prospect of CA gun owners wanting comped guns and have prepared a selection of options;

https://www.mayhem-syndicate.com/sh...m-wbarrel-for-g191726-pre-order-black-nitride

https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/products/glocktm/si-g4-scomp.html

https://www.weaponsarmamentresearch.com/products/war-l-o-c-lock-on-compensator

They all have different features and attachment methods, so you'll need to do some research and determine which you like best.

Another feasible option would be to send your slide off to an out-of-state gunsmith and have them install a more traditional threaded barrel and comp combo, then pin and weld the comp to the barrel to make it a permanent fixture. That will likely be the costliest option, but if none of the above products appeal to you it would be the way to go
Maybe I misunderstood the CA. law on this but I thought a threaded barrel on a pistol there was a flat out no-go (it classifies a pistol as an assault weapon). Did I misunderstand? I hope so, I do have CA. alternatives to my comped 19, but that would be my first choice to take with me if legally able to do so.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Maybe I misunderstood the CA. law on this but I thought a threaded barrel on a pistol there was a flat out no-go (it classifies a pistol as an assault weapon). Did I misunderstand? I hope so, I do have CA. alternatives to my comped 19, but that would be my first choice to take with me if legally able to do so.

CA laws are so convoluted and ever-changing that it can be difficult to nail down what the present definitions are. To my understanding, any semi-auto firearm (rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc) with a detachable magazine need only have one of the "assault weapon" traits to be considerred illegal. If your compensator is not permanently affixed to your threaded barrel, that's a qualifying banned feature according to CA statute. And red loctite doesn't count as permanently affixed - it has to be pinned and welded (like 14.5" rifle barrels in normal states).

The reason the three products I listed above are legal to possess in CA is because they don't rely on threading of the barrel to be affixed, therefore the barrels aren't capable of accepting a flash suppressor, sound suppressor, or "barrel-mounted forward handgrip", whatever the hell that means.

STANDARD STATUTE INTERPRETATION DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer, the above should not be considered legal advice. For specifics and certainty you should consult an attorney familiar with California's gun laws specifically

MojoNixon

Established
I know CA. laws are convoluted which is why I kind of assumed I may have misunderstood. I will be examining the options you linked. Thanks for that.

LukeNCMX

I am considering a KKM Glock 19.4 Barrel/Comp but I have a few questions:

Does anyone have any experience running Hornady Critical Duty 135g +P through this setup? Is it accurate? Is it reliable with the stock RSA?

I am willing to wait for KKM's nitride finish, is there a reason I should avoid it?

I am guessing yes accurate, yes reliable and shooter's choice with the barrel finish but if anyone with experience says otherwise please advise.

Thanks

MRF

Does anyone have any experience running Hornady Critical Duty 135g +P through this setup? Is it accurate? Is it reliable with the stock RSA?

I am willing to wait for KKM's nitride finish, is there a reason I should avoid it?

I am guessing yes accurate, yes reliable and shooter's choice with the barrel finish but if anyone with experience says otherwise please advise.

Thanks

Although I carry HST, I did try that load because I had some around and it was very accurate. I’m using the factory RSA and it functions just fine.

As for the finish, it’s mostly cosmetic in my opinion. I’ve used both and never noticed a difference in cleaning or performance.

David Mayeur

Thanks

Yes, and I found it shoots softer than HST +P. If I had to pick out of the two, I would still go with HST, because in my findings it is more accurate.

Yondering

The finish will wear. If that bothers you there is a reason to avoid the nitride finish.

Bare stainless barrels wear more, it's just not as visually obvious. Visible wear on black nitride barrels is generally cosmetic only, the nitride surface is harder and more durable than bare stainless and is a good thing on moving parts like the locking lugs.

With that said, KKM's bare stainless barrels are great too and hold up fine.

LukeNCMX

Thanks guys. I called KKM, spoke with Dan and ordered a nitrided barrel/comp setup for my G19.4 today. 5-7 week lead time for those interested. I asked about barrel twist for the 135g +P Critical Duty and they recommended the normal 1:16 for everything from 115g-150g. Dan stated the barrel/bullet jacket fit is tighter than a normal 1:10 factory clearance barrel and if I special ordered a faster twist than 1:16 that there would be a potential threat of jacket separation. Dan stated loose clearance OEM barrels often do no begin to properly spin the bullet until part way down the bore and that the OEMs use a fast twist as a fix. I ended up ordering a normal 1:16 twist version.

I am hoping to source a Freya if anyone has any ideas. I backordered one from Brownells at the beginning of the month and they said it would likely ship by the end of April. I am not inclined to believe them. I emailed Raven and Kathy replied "Unfortunately, I do not have an anticipated date for the Freya Magwell. Hopefully it will be sometime this year, but not soon."

Clay1

Yesterday ran a 300 round Extreme close quarters training event with the RS. Neat to run it with the comp. While some some compressed retention positions were interesting with the comp, all of them were still safe. Some positions with the comp, opened my eyes, but glad that I could experience the concussion in training before any street experience took place.

Loved this project. I had exactly one issue in the class where a tap rack took care of this situation. Before the class, less than 100 rounds through the gun. Running Winchester124 Nato for the class.

Zev Citadel Slide, Zev threaded barrel, Zev comp, RM06 Adj 3.25, Surefire 300U.

Tripleryder

Wants to cover compensators with his hands.
Yesterday ran a 300 round Extreme close quarters training event with the RS. ...

Did you actually place your hand over the comp while firing in any of the retention positions? Ala Brace Contact, or its variants..

Clay1

Did you actually place your hand over the comp while firing in any of the retention positions? Ala Brace Contact, or its variants..

No hand over the comp. A forward lean into the target with my head, thumb pectoral index whiling delivering pelvic girdle shots and many nice blasts to the chest later - I survived.

At one point, I pulled up my shirt and wholly expected to have a bruised chest - what a wuss. No bruises, but what an eye opener. Keeping the comp on so far.

Ran the class without a my X300U on the gun in a comp-tac holster for my 34. Still need another holster. Just can't seem to pull the trigger on which holster to buy for this thing. A Safariland 6362 is in the running for the winter months, but need something for warmer weather and haven't been able to come to a conclusion.

Chriscanbreach

Established
Ah ok. First I’ve heard a name given to the theory of what happens when your fist fighting and you pull a gun. I like the way he breaks down optimal placement and shows how it “should go” Craig Douglas is legit but this is flash and flare.
SOCP isn’t a comparison because you have a rifle a secondary and a knife.
3sD is all just a dude and a gun. The techniques he shows are excellent baseline ways to get you into optimal position. The reality is going to vary from there.
Thanks for sharing the video.

Clay1

If you watched the video you will note that this is just a predecessor to his following instruction on his multi day course where pressure is applied to this foundational training. These are some of the few techniques that have been developed with pressure and not just theory. Follow more of Southnarc's work and I think that you will see that there is a benefit in the curriculum. Stay safe.

Tripleryder

I'm curious if completely enveloping the compensator on an equipped handgun would cause injury to the hand when firing. I guess I just need to man up, throw some gloves on, and try it.

Brace Contact Video

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I'm curious if completely enveloping the compensator on an equipped handgun would cause injury to the hand when firing. I guess I just need to man up, throw some gloves on, and try it.

Brace Contact Video

I’ve admittedly never tried shooting my comped guns with my support side hand fully wrapped around the muzzle and covering the ports, but my common sense educated guess is it would be about as pleasant as having your hand wrapped around the cylinder of a revolver while it’s fired. Which is to say, DON’T DO IT. Even if you’re wearing a glove.

If you’re not squeamish, run a google image search of “revolver cylinder gap injury” to see what the likely result would be from firing your comped pistol with one hand wrapped around the compensator. Hint; A lot of the guys in the results will need to use their toes to count to ten for the rest of their lives...

I will also say that video is the first time I’ve ever seen or even heard of that particular “technique” for retention shooting. If it were actually a viable/good idea, you’d probably have a lot more instructors demonstrating it frequently

Tripleryder

I’ve admittedly never tried shooting my comped guns with my support side hand fully wrapped around the muzzle and covering the ports, but my common sense educated guess is it would be about as pleasant as having your hand wrapped around the cylinder of a revolver while it’s fired. Which is to say, DON’T DO IT. Even if you’re wearing a glove.

If you’re not squeamish, run a google image search of “revolver cylinder gap injury” to see what the likely result would be from firing your comped pistol with one hand wrapped around the compensator. Hint; A lot of the guys in the results will need to use their toes to count to ten for the rest of their lives...

I will also say that video is the first time I’ve ever seen or even heard of that particular “technique” for retention shooting. If it were actually a viable/good idea, you’d probably have a lot more instructors demonstrating it frequently

A revolver cylinder may be a good comparison, although a compensator is likely worse, as the gasses are all directed in the same direction.

Brace contact shooting is a valid technique, in its particular niche. It was developed by the gentleman in the video, and is growing in popularity and use, particularly in the northwest law enforcement communities. You can't judge an idea by its initial popularity. Remember when the Roland Special was a "stupid idea"?