The Roland Special

I don't mean to necropost, but I figure this would be a fitting thread to post the question vs starting a new one.

I know the "recipe" for a Roland Special calls for a KKM comped barrel, but considering the reported improvements in accuracy on the current gen 5 glock barrels, would it be viable to stick with an OEM threaded gen 5 barrel?

I'm not one to cheap out, and definitely don't mind saving for a little longer to get something. I just tend to stick to OEM parts as much as I can if for nothing else than reliability.

Has anyone been able to see any huge differences between the current gen 5 barrels and the KKM? I'm sure even the factory gen 5 barrel will still be more accurate than I am.

tylerw02

I don't mean to necropost, but I figure this would be a fitting thread to post the question vs starting a new one.

I know the "recipe" for a Roland Special calls for a KKM comped barrel, but considering the reported improvements in accuracy on the current gen 5 glock barrels, would it be viable to stick with an OEM threaded gen 5 barrel?

I'm not one to cheap out, and definitely don't mind saving for a little longer to get something. I just tend to stick to OEM parts as much as I can if for nothing else than reliability.

Has anyone been able to see any huge differences between the current gen 5 barrels and the KKM? I'm sure even the factory gen 5 barrel will still be more accurate than I am.
How would you get the comp on it? You’d also be changing comps to a standard thread pitch. Which there is a reason why KKM uses a different thread pitch for comped barrels vs non-comp’ed barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake27

Never shot Gen 5 stock next to Gen 5 KKM so I’m not sure, but Chuck has said that the Gen 5 barrel is good enough that it’s mostly pointless to put a match grade barrel in before the stock barrel is shot out IIRC.

I had a lemon of a barrel in one of my Gen 5's (19X). Nobody could get it to group worth a damn with high-end 124gr or 147gr. I replaced it with a KKM. For the most part the Gen 5's are better but you don't know till you know. Typical Glock.

How would you get the comp on it? You’d also be changing comps to a standard thread pitch. Which there is a reason why KKM uses a different thread pitch for comped barrels vs non-comp’ed barrels.

I assumed it would be possible to buy the comp from KKM separately without the barrel, but it's not something I asked them yet. As far as the thread pitch, I see both the OEM and the KKM threaded barrels have 1/2 x 28 threads.

KKM Threaded Barrel
OEM Threaded Barrel

The link to the KKM barrel above is to a threaded barrel sans compensator. I'm going off the assumption that KKM uses the same thread pitch for their compensated barrel as their threaded barrels, but I could be entirely wrong. I read through the description of their compensated barrel, but saw no mention of thread pitch.

@Wake27 and @pointblank4445, I only have experience with one Gen 5 19 MOS. So far it shoots great as far as I can tell. I will admit I haven't really scientifically measured its accuracy vs other similar handguns I fired, I noticed that my groupings were a little tighter. Whether that's the barrel, trigger, sights, or a combination of all the above I don't know.

ETA: I reread your post and see that they do in fact use a different thread pitch for comped barrels. Interesting, I wonder what the reasoning is.

user12358

ETA: I reread your post and see that they do in fact use a different thread pitch for comped barrels. Interesting, I wonder what the reasoning is.
They use a different thread pitch because a 1/2x28 or M13.5x1LH is for suppressor usage and there needs to be stand off so the can does not come into contact with the guide rod on most tilting barrel designs. The comp threads are shorter and cut much closer to the slide so that you can have significantly more working volume of comp for the same length added to the gun.

They use a different thread pitch because a 1/2x28 or M13.5x1LH is for suppressor usage and there needs to be stand off so the can does not come into contact with the guide rod on most tilting barrel designs. The comp threads are shorter and cut much closer to the slide so that you can have significantly more working volume of comp for the same length added to the gun.
KKM’s comped barrels use 9/16X32 threads.

Brad Trittipo

Network Support I
My ZevTech barrel was threaded for a suppressor and I had no issues installing the Primary Machine Comp. Thread the comp until it hits the slide, rotate back out until aligned, tighten set screws and use VibraTite and no issues with slide impact or recoil guide impact.