The Roland Special

22Mike

Just a heads up for you guys who want to do a fauxland special with a Luepold DP pro, Dawson makes a set of irons (.595 rear, .585 front) that offer an approximate lower third cowitness.

Just trying to decide between a SF or the new inforce apl and my roland is done.

Anyone know when the new inforce APL will be available?

12/5

B0308

Amateur
About three weeks ago, I sent my slide/w barrel and RSA off to L&M along with an RMR 06 and got the work back Friday. Mark bore-sighted it for me and its laser accurate. Took it to the range today, factory barrel, "-" connector and Olive Spring, ran a series of 115gr, 124gr and 147gr ammo, mostly at 10 and 15 yards. Some work at 20 (indoor range limitations). Twenty-five rounds of 115gr punched out the X-ring at 10 yards, inside the 9 ring at 15Y and all in the black at 20. The 147gr duty rounds (CorBon P+) opened up a bit, probably user error and the 147 AE was a little tighter.

I'm about 3 weeks into the KKM direct wait, cc charged, waiting for the barrel. I have the X300U and DG switch ready to roll, along E with Freya mag well. Introducing items one at a time to see any adverse impacts. Gotta get to work on a holster.

I'd add pics , but right now it looks exactly like a G19 with an RMR06 :cool:.

MisterHelix

I've been carrying a G19 w/ threaded barrel, RM02, and SF light for about five years, and have just recently heard of adding a comp to that setup.

I think I read that the KKM barrels have flats for set screws, but ~somebody~ was using a Silencerco barrel (which is what I currently have).

Does anyone know if the set screws on the comp will bugger up my threads? Or do they index on the barrel itself?

In other words: can I use my existing SiCo barrel without issue?

Xhado

I'm thinking of getting my 19 stippled when I send it to ATEi for slide work, but they have no pictures of the different levels of agressiveness they offer. Does anyone know if there are pictures to be found anywhere or have any experience themselves with the different levels? Thanks

I'm trying to track down this information as well.

If anyone has ATEi in house work please let us know.

MisterHelix

I'm hoping blue Loctite on the barrel threads and screws is adequate to prevent movement. Perhaps I'll take the SiCo barrel to a machinist and have dimples or flats (accurately) milled.

So far, I'm pretty impressed by the TBRCi's performance. Not an earth-shattering change, but hot +P's feel like weak 115 grain ball. Thanks to all those that have contributed useful information and experiences.

B0308

Amateur
Damn, I'm jealous. Contacted KKM today, another couple of weeks and I should have a comp'ed barrel. Can't wait.

I've got every thing else on hand and a RCS holster in the mail !

1AdamLast

Has anybody tried making a Roland Special style Glock 23? I am issued a .40 caliber pistol at work, so I decided all my future handguns should be .40 caliber to make off duty practice and recreation days logistically easier.

I know that KKM makes a G23 barrel with 4 port compensator, and a few manufacturers make aftermarket slides for the Gen 3 G23's, so it's certainly possible, but has anyone actually run such a setup?

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Has anybody tried making a Roland Special style Glock 23? I am issued a .40 caliber pistol at work, so I decided all my future handguns should be .40 caliber to make off duty practice and recreation days logistically easier.

I know that KKM makes a G23 barrel with 4 port compensator, and a few manufacturers make aftermarket slides for the Gen 3 G23's, so it's certainly possible, but has anyone actually run such a setup?

I'm pretty sure shockey has a G22 setup with vids on YouTube about it. Certainly doable.

Yondering

I put together a comped G23 years ago (before anybody was using red dots on slides) with a comp very similar to the KKM. It helped muzzle flip a little bit, but was not as effective as on the 9mm; comps are most effective with light bullets and heavy powder charges. There was some improvement but it still felt like an un-comped hot 9mm at least.

MisterHelix

That's how I figured comp's would work best too, but I could be mistaken, I don't really know.

I wanted to try some fast, light ammo because I figured high gas volume and low projectile weight would maximize the comp's effectiveness, as well as extending MPBR (while avoiding high POI at intermediate ranges).

So, bought a case of Federal 9BPLE. (I know, old technology) and put a few downrange for an initial proof-of-concept.

So, here's the pistol specs:
G19 Gen4
Silencerco barrel (4.5")
TBRCi microcomp
Trijicon RM02
SSVI Tyr trigger shoe
"-" connector
Stock RSA & internals

Anyway, I ran ten rounds over the chronograph. Here's the data from that:
Created: 04/06/17 12:58 PM
Description: Federal 9BPLE
Notes 1: 4.5" barrel G19
Distance to Chrono(FT): 10.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.120
Bullet Weight(gr): 115.00
Temp: 65 °F

# FPS FT-LBS PF
10 1330 451.77 152.95
9 1350 465.46 155.25
8 1355 468.91 155.82
7 1351 466.15 155.37
6 1351 466.15 155.37
5 1327 449.73 152.60
4 1334 454.49 153.41
3 1331 452.45 153.07
2 1341 459.27 154.21
1 1337 456.54 153.76
Average: 1340.7 FPS
SD: 10.3 FPS
Min: 1327 FPS
Max: 1355 FPS
Spread: 28 FPS
Shot/sec: 0.2
True MV: 1350 FPS
Maybe my chrono reads fast, or maybe I'm getting 1,350 fps. Dunno.

So, after pushing that data through a ballistics calculator, it looks like a 50 yard zero would yield a decent MPBR without significantly high POI at intermediate ranges.

After a few test shots at 50 yards, and fiddling with the RMR to try to get it pretty close, here's 10 rounds at 50 yards on a 1/2 size silhouette. A couple went kinda low...my bad. Though all things considered, I prefer vertical stringing to horizontal dispersion.

The near zero is ~somewhere~ around 10 yards.
With the comp, the +P+ felt like weak 115 range ammo, if that.
Perhaps this weekend I'll have time to refine the zero, and check POI at 25, 75, and 100, as well as see what the shot timer says about faster strings.
All in all, I'm pretty impressed with the Roland Special concept, and I ~think~ using light and fast ammo had benefits.
Seems to me that the RMR makes the concealed pistol useful to 100+ yards, and the comp makes it faster to shoot (accurately) with hotter ammo.

Reactions: CLS

Big_Phil

848bd5c959c837f0438f1ccab6f59c6e.jpg

So I took my version out to the range today and it ran fairly well with a variety of bullet weights and brands except for WWB and my carry ammo (Barnes Tac-XP). The slide would fail to lock on an empty mag with the WWB as well.

So here's the big problem, every shot with the Barnes was a FTE.

I'm using a stock recoil spring.

So what do you say? Different recoil spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yondering

Meaning, you'll get the most recoil reduction with hot loads in lighter bullet weights. +P+ 115gr compared to 147gr, etc. That doesn't necessarily mean total recoil or muzzle flip will always be less, but that's where a brake or comp provides the most effectiveness. Is that clearer?

Compensators or brakes work by redirection of the powder gasses; the mass and velocity of the powder charge are the contributing factors. You have those things working in the comp to counteract the recoil from the bullet mass, so, less bullet mass and more powder mass makes a comp more effective.

MojoNixon

Established
Meaning, you'll get the most recoil reduction with hot loads in lighter bullet weights. +P+ 115gr compared to 147gr, etc. That doesn't necessarily mean total recoil or muzzle flip will always be less, but that's where a brake or comp provides the most effectiveness. Is that clearer?

Compensators or brakes work by redirection of the powder gasses; the mass and velocity of the powder charge are the contributing factors. You have those things working in the comp to counteract the recoil from the bullet mass, so, less bullet mass and more powder mass makes a comp more effective.
Do the gasses from burning powder actually have mass? Or is it just force from expansion applied to the cone inside the comp?