the new Magpul Glock mags

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator

Phil Axelrod
Yesterday at 8:10pm

First review I've seen of the new Magpul Glock mags. They will apparently take a beating, as should be expected from that company. Still not sure I see the point in them making these, but they work.

Magpul PMAG17 GL9 Review
In this episode of TFBTV, James gets his hands on the brand new Magpul Glock magazine and goes over the basics before testing it. After shooting a case of am...
YOUTU.BE
"}" data-reactid=".9r" style="color: rgb(109, 132, 180); cursor: pointer;">Like · Comment · Share
  • Matt Levi, Stephen Bell, Libardo Jimenez and 12 others like this.

• Matt Landfair
    One reason - they are cheaper than factory. Side note: they don't need the metal lining because they are using a stronger polymer.
    Yesterday at 8:12pm · Like · 17

• Austin Overman
    Cheaper.
    Yesterday at 8:25pm · Like · 1

• Michael Goerlich
    The next time some dipshit shoots up a school and people start panic buying every AK mag, M4 mag, and Glock mag in sight, get your calculator out and do some cipherin' on how much money you think they make per hour during that panic storm. There's the point in making them;)
    Yesterday at 8:25pm · Like · 7

• Josh Toole
    Yeah I would say the price has something to do with it.
    Yesterday at 8:27pm · Like

• Chuck Haggard
    More quality options=more gooder
    Yesterday at 8:28pm · Like · 5

• Samuel R Hayes III
    Matt Landfair my understanding is that the metal lining's added weight help factory mags drop free easier. Any info on weight difference between these two mags?
    Yesterday at 8:28pm · Like · 1

• Matt Landfair
    Oooh - Good Question! Duane?
    Yesterday at 8:31pm · Like · 1

• Samuel R Hayes III
    I've considered getting a few to use as training mags but I need them to work.
    Yesterday at 8:33pm · Like

• Jon Cross
    The GL9 is definitely lighter than OEM- I can get the exact numbers tomorrow if folks are curious.
    Yesterday at 8:34pm · Unlike · 2

• Matt Landfair
    Have you experienced any issues with dropping free while empty?
    Yesterday at 8:36pm · Like

• Samuel R Hayes III
    In contrast to the video, mags that come with Gen 4 Glocks do have the indentation for reversible mag release on both sides.
    Yesterday at 8:37pm · Like

• Mike Griffin
    MSRP on the Magpul mag is roughly $6 under oem wholesale. As long as they perform as good as oem that is significant savings.
    Yesterday at 8:38pm · Like · 1

• Jon Cross
    Nope, they drop free from every gun I've put them in.
    Yesterday at 8:38pm · Unlike · 3

• Duane Liptak
    Ours are lighter, but I don't have the numbers of the top of my head. They are 100% drop free, hot, cold, loaded, empty, partially loaded, whatever. We definitely missed something with the first batch, but as you can see from the video...it was easy to...See More
    Yesterday at 8:38pm · Unlike · 12

• Jon Cross
    Bad case of tendinitis in the right wrist- no carpal tunnel so far, haha. These mags will absolutely go in my carry and comp guns- no reservations whatsoever.
    Yesterday at 8:41pm · Like · 4

• Duane Liptak
    To be perfectly honest, after about 2500-3500 rounds through a single mag, it does appear that wiping them out is a good idea, but then you're good for a few thousand more.
    Yesterday at 8:43pm · Unlike · 4

• Chuck Haggard
    I'm looking forward to buying ten of them, as soon as I can find some.
    Yesterday at 8:47pm · Like

• Mike Griffin
    Upon rereading my earlier post I understand some people may think "big whoop, I save $10-15, I don't own enough mags to make a big difference". I have a pile of 9mm glocks and I am constantly building a pile of mags to go with them. I stash them all over the house, in vehicles, go bags, travel cases, etc, etc. I also remember the days of the ban when a worn out standard cap mag without le markings was going for $80+.

I won't play that game again and I have better shit to worry about than whether the three mags that came with the gun are all I will need.
    Yesterday at 8:51pm · Unlike · 7

• Jon Cross
    You hit the nail on the head- it's not so much stockpiling mags (not that there's anything wrong with that), but being able to maintain a training inventory without having to dip into the carry or duty gear, the glovebox stash, the PC or war belt etc... If you're fielding 30-50 mags to avoid having to play musical chairs before a class, training event or competition, even a small cost differential quickly adds up.
    Yesterday at 8:53pm · Unlike · 10

• Josh Toole
    I have about 60+ mags for my AR and I don't carry it every day so why should I not have a fuck load of cheaper pistol mags? I keep mags in my car,truck, and jeep as 8t stands now I have to move mags around between vehicles. So yeah I'm down for saving money to buy more mags.
    Yesterday at 9:11pm · Unlike · 3

• Andrew Moon
    I'm a Magpul whore so, of course I'm going to be getting these...
    22 hrs · Like · 1

• Matt James
    No issues so far Matt with dripping free.
    22 hrs · Like

• Dave Holmes
    Duane Liptak I am assuming we'll be seeing some .40 cal mags in the future?
    21 hrs · Like

• Rich Grassi
    I ordered some got the recall notice the day after I got the magazines. I took one to the range, gave two others to a friend. We've been using them for a month without trouble. Replacement bodies arrived Monday and I changed them out but haven't been back to the range. They are drop free and easily disassembled for maintenance.
    17 hrs · Like

• Karl North
    In that case, what about a magpul glock frame? It would be stronger, they could add their textures...
    16 hrs · Edited · Like

• Michael Novack
    Another reason I want a quality rival option to factory Glock mags is that I've had the bodies on two older magazines (Gen 2 era) fracture on me. One cracked while loaded inside of a Glock 17 (needless to say it was not drop free at that point), and an empty Glock 19 magazine doing nothing in a drawer. Both cracked completely down the length of the spine and opened up within a couple years of each other about five years ago. They were technically still usable but my long-term confidence was shaken to say the least as neither of them had tremendous wear on them, although they did date to the late 80s-early 90s. Has this happened to anyone else with older magazines? While their mag design has changed a bit and I'm happy with the longer tube of the current G17 magazines I own, I am not aware that Glock has in any way upgraded the polymer or construction of their magazines.

I have some modest round count Steyr AUG magazines from the same era that also seem to be cracking feed lips and getting some feed lip spread likely from being loaded for years. Based upon past performance of the AUG and Glock mags, I chose to split my AR magazine buying equally between three rival types to address long-term endurance concerns (PMAG, ARC, USGI aluminum). I will likely do the same with my Glock magazines from now on just to hedge my bet. Many thanks to Magpul for finally giving us an option other than the Korean stuff or those horrible ban-era metal ProMags.
    16 hrs · Like

• Grant Timberlake
    I like these mags for two main reasons. Cost and they drop free. I see Glock mags all the time that don't do this (without sanding). The floor plates are MUCH easer to remove as well (making spring maintenance and cleaning easy). The floor plate is also an upgrade over the factory mag in that it is easy to number/mark.
    14 hrs · Like · 2

• Chuck Haggard
    Now MagPul, I needs a 25 round G17 mag, make that happen......
    14 hrs · Like · 6

• Jerry Oliver
    I had a couple of the original NML Glock 17 mags in my training pile. One of them ended up loaded in a class last year. It double fed upon insertion, and literally sprayed all the rounds, follower, and spring out when I ejected it. I can tell you it was not a wear issue, but an age issue with the polymer (again NON Metal Lined original design). Old training mags sometimes create their own training opportunities
    13 hrs · Edited · Like

• Chuck Haggard
    Magazines are an expendable use item. Fact of life.
    14 hrs · Unlike · 7

• Darin Talbot
    Jon needs a shake weight ;^)
    14 hrs · Like

• Rick Labistre
    My biggest issue with these mags is that I don't have any.
    13 hrs · Like · 4

• Duane Liptak
    This line will be expanding. 19-sized next then some other things...
    13 hrs · Unlike · 5

• Rick Labistre
    You will make G43 PMAGS /Jedi mind trick
    13 hrs · Like · 2

• David Merrill
    Anything that takes people away from shitty KCI mags is A+ in my book
    12 hrs · Like · 3

• Brent Susnik
    Will it take Glock mag extensions?
    12 hrs · Like · 1

• Chuck Haggard
    ^No^
    12 hrs · Like

• Michael Gary Spight
    I bought 6 of them from Brownells for $14.50 each...that was about $11.00 less than the OEM mags on Glockmeister...which were back ordered. I've run them some, in a G17, and no issues to report. According to Brownell's they will send me 6 new bodies as soon as they have them. After that, I plan to obtain 6 more followers, springs and base plates (hopefully from Magpul) as I intend to continue using the original mags as well.
    11 hrs · Like · 2

• Rich Grassi
    I'm certainly satisfied with these, looking forward to the G19 mags.
    11 hrs · Like · 2

• Sean Francisco
    My partner bought 8 of them, and has been running them in USPSA, STEEL, and IDPA. The function has been absolutely flawless over about 3000 rounds, plus training.

I am waiting for the 40 mags.
    9 hrs · Like · 2

Joey

What's funny is living in Cheyenne I've not found anybody in town that carries em & have 5 of them on back order....and plan on getting some G19 mags when they come out....

Mach0311

I have had some FTFeed with my g34 on reloads but I might just be sending the slide forward a touch early. I can't reproduce tge malfunction with OEM mags. I'm pretty sure it's a me issue. Also the gun had this stupid grease in it the genius I traded for it with decided to put all over. I gave a full clean but haven't tried it again yet so we'll see. I'll update as necessary maybe if I can reproduce it I'll tape it for science

I have had some FTFeed with my g34 on reloads but I might just be sending the slide forward a touch early. I can't reproduce tge malfunction with OEM mags. I'm pretty sure it's a me issue. Also the gun had this stupid grease in it the genius I traded for it with decided to put all over. I gave a full clean but haven't tried it again yet so we'll see. I'll update as necessary maybe if I can reproduce it I'll tape it for science

Any further updates mach?

MojoNixon

Established
Put 3 full cycles thru my 3 samples yesterday. So far no issues. They do seem to lock the slide back more reliably than my Glock mags. I know my thumb touches the slide release at times but the springs in these seem to have more upward force on the follower that overcomes my light touching of the release.

K.O.A.M.

Amateur
I have used two of them for range magazines for about 300 rounds. I haven't had any issues with them in a G-17 modified by Ben at Boresight.

voodoo_man

Established
6gm6eem.jpg

Been using them exclusively for range use, had pre-ordered them when they were released. Original order was cancelled and replaced with the non-recalled version.