The necessity of CCW/Self-defense insurance?

Door

Understanding that the best solution is "don't get into a questionable shoot"- can anyone point me toward any serious analyses or discussions of the necessity of CCW insurance? Most of what I've been able to find in researching the topic is more or less paid advertising (USCCA in particular seems to have a relationship with half of the industry), or comparisons of existing services, rather than an actual discussion of whether or not these policies are really beneficial. There have been plenty of forum discussions, but most of these center on the statistical rarity of having to use a firearm in self-defense in the first place. "Stakes over probability" being the basis for carrying a firearm at all, in my opinion, I'd like to hear an argument against it that doesn't rely on the likelihood of the best-case scenario.

I've heard comments thrown around about these companies finding ways to get out of actually covering many scenarios when one gets down to it, but I've never really seen that elaborated upon. I believe I've heard one or two negative comments in passing about carry insurance by guests on the modcast, so I'm genuinely curious as to what qualms folks in the know might have against these services? The idea of assistance with crippling legal costs in the event of a worst-case scenario is very appealing, even considering the cost over time- but I try to be skeptical.

ScottR65

If you don’t carry a firearm, your chances of needing such insurance is 0%. If you do carry a firearm you have a greater than 0% chance of needing it.

I have been a member of https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/
for years because of the blue ribbon panel of founding members and Board of Directors, like a Mas Ayoob. You can’t get better than having Mas testify in your defense for free as part of this program. Assuming you had a good shoot of course, which probably won’t even make it to trial if you have a conservative DA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stanislao

This sounds like a legal question, which should be answered by no-one other than a legal professional. If you have a relationship with some sort of attorney, preferably one who deals with insurance or criminal defense, run the terms and conditions of the insurance policy by them. If they are a criminal defense attorney ask if they would be willing to accept that insurance policy.

Stanislao

I'm looking at general personal liability insurance. Seems like most companies offering car or home insurance also offer some kind of policy for "random things not covered by other insurance." Websites like to list slip-fall injuries on your sidewalk or kitchen as examples. Again, I'd want to run the policy past any lawyer I might want to work with before buying the policy.

To be clear: I am not a lawyer.

ScottR65

I'm looking at general personal liability insurance. Seems like most companies offering car or home insurance also offer some kind of policy for "random things not covered by other insurance." Websites like to list slip-fall injuries on your sidewalk or kitchen as examples. Again, I'd want to run the policy past any lawyer I might want to work with before buying the policy.

To be clear: I am not a lawyer.

General liability insurance doesn’t cover intentional acts of harm such as self defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Erick Gelhaus

Staff member
I have PORAC Retiree Legal Defense Fund coverage and ACLDN coverage. Fortunately, I have not had to use either.
Previously, my LDF coverage got a pretty good workout and later as an deputy sheriff association VP, I saw the LDF bills for both initial investigation and for subsequent civil issues. While there is not a "deep pocket" thing for decent, normal humans like there is with government, I would not want to try covering those bills out of pocket.

Erick Gelhaus

Staff member
ACLDN looks at self-defense incidents, not just shootings. As I wrote above, I'm a paying member.

@Laminat is correct in that you need to look at each company, their benefits, and how those benefits are provided.

I'm not sure what a military defense lawyer would have over and above any other defense attorney. What I really want, based on experience, is a competent trial lawyer who understands self-defense and use of force issues as they relate to a conscious decision to use deadly force in defense of one's self &/or others. That is not commonly covered in depth in law school. Additionally, even considering the presumption of innocence, most defense attorneys often represent individuals with a degree of guilt. To a degree that changes the calculus of the defense.