The Froglube Thread

Jackrabbit

Started 15 April 2015.

Get some popcorn before you read this one.

Attachments

• 04152015 The Froglube Thread.pdf
    878.1 KB · Views: 209

Arete

We had a guy come out to the range with a new AR that he had applied froglube to.
He was very enthusiastic about the froglube, how great it was, etc.
As it turned out, shock of shocks, the rifle wouldn't run more than 10 rounds without a stoppage. Repeated this several times.
I applied Mobil 1 to it as an expedient fix and it ran 100% thereafter.
So, no froglube for me, thanks.
Ironically enough, our guy was UDT way back in the day . . .

Brap&Bang

Amateur
I got a bunch of frog lube for free. I have run it for thousands of rounds in glocks in temps from the teens up to the eighties. No issues for me. I haven't used it in anything except polymer pistols.

As an armorer I can attest that frog lube makes just about every platform choke hard, from glocks to AR's. I have had the firing pin channel on glocks caked in frog lube to the point where the gun will not fire. I've seen AR's go down in a similar fashion to where they have to be completely broken down and thrown in the ultrasonic to strip all that crap off. Don't do it, I know there are guys that swear by it however it is usually not applied properly and overused... Just my 2 cents, please don't do that to your armorer.

Chinny

Not Chubby
I love seeing these posts because people act like frog lube is going to cause catastrophic issues in anything it touches. Is there proof that it doesn't do well in some situations? Sure, if I didn't have so much I'd probably have switched to something else. My Glock doesn't have a high round count compared to a lot, only 10K rounds. Most of that time it's been lubed with frog lube without issue. Am I open to the fact that it has known issues? Yeah, I'll probably buy some Slip 2000 when I run out of Frog Lube. For now though I think people just need to stop fussing over what lube someone uses and just shoot their guns more.

Hush

Frog lube works 100% of the time for its intended purpose, lubricating industrial food slicers. When you put the SEAL magic container on it, and use it on guns....it doesn't perform as well. It might work for you, maybe. It costs about the same as SLIP which DOES work. I've seen an AR deadlined and the receiver extension and spring reduced to a gluey mess on a 25 degree New England winter day. Maybe you'll have better luck in the desert. That doesn't change the fact that it's repackaged food slicer lube. But hey, you can eat it

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I love seeing these posts because people act like frog lube is going to cause catastrophic issues in anything it touches. Is there proof that it doesn't do well in some situations? Sure, if I didn't have so much I'd probably have switched to something else. My Glock doesn't have a high round count compared to a lot, only 10K rounds. Most of that time it's been lubed with frog lube without issue. Am I open to the fact that it has known issues? Yeah, I'll probably buy some Slip 2000 when I run out of Frog Lube. For now though I think people just need to stop fussing over what lube someone uses and just shoot their guns more.

Make sure all froglube has been removed if you switch lubricants or you will run into isuues

CK837

Amateur
Am I missing something? Why is froglube still a thing we talk about? It's well documented it does not work reliably all the time for everyone. Motor oil, Slip 2000 and a host of others do. Smells good or edible are not selling points for gun lubricants. Period.

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
Am I missing something? Why is froglube still a thing we talk about? It's well documented it does not work reliably all the time for everyone. Motor oil, Slip 2000 and a host of others do. Smells good or edible are not selling points for gun lubricants. Period.
Oof, be careful bringing up that motor oil for guns thing. There's an angry thread about that in here somewhere.

CK837

Amateur
Oof, be careful bringing up that motor oil for guns thing. There's an angry thread about that in here somewhere.
While I agree and I personally hate the "Mobile 1 does everything and it's so cheap" argument, I'll use that long before I touch Froglube.

Am I missing something? Why is froglube still a thing we talk about?

Because NEVER HAD A PROBLEM and clever marketing. I especially love how people say it runs just fine in their Glocks, when you could lube a Glock with Skoal spit and it would run fine.

I detail stripped my 1911 & applied FL to all the parts according to the instructions exactly. I even heated the parts with a hair dryer! I wiped all the parts clean with the little mint-green microfiber they shipped and everything. I found that, even at the low end of indoor temperatures (upper 60s F), it would gum the slide up. Not enough to affect function, but enough to be noticeable. I also felt like it affected the trigger pull weight but I never put it on a scale so I don't want to say for sure. And, remember, this was following the manufacturer's express directions. Carbon would wipe straight off as advertised, but only because it was a thin coating of grease/wax/paste/whatever and the carbon would wipe off with the grease. That stopped working after the layer of grease wiped off, so I'd get maybe one or two wipes before it would get stuck again. I ended up detail stripping, degreasing with Simple Green, and switching to wheel bearing grease instead. I never noticed a problem with my M&Ps or Glocks, but then (as previously mentioned) those work fine with anything.

My biggest problem with Froglube is the marketing. Their little spiel about "seasoning the metal" is complete and total nonsense, and IDGAF if a SEAL designed it unless they teach a tribology class in BUDS. I'm ~90% sure that the reason the prescribed application process is so complicated is so that, when your results are inevitably sub-par, they can blame you for not doing it right instead of owning up to the fact that their product is snake oil garbage.

CK837

Amateur
My biggest problem with Froglube is the marketing. Their little spiel about "seasoning the metal" is complete and total nonsense, and IDGAF if a SEAL designed it unless they teach a tribology class in BUDS. I'm ~90% sure that the reason the prescribed application process is so complicated is so that, when your results are inevitably sub-par, they can blame you for not doing it right instead of owning up to the fact that their product is snake oil garbage.
I completely agree. It's like people using their status as LEO to sell training or something else. Just being a SEAL, LEO, or astronaut does not mean you automatically know tactics, how to make gun lube, or pee in zero gravity.....ok. Astronauts probably know how to pee in zero gravity, but you get my point.

CodyY

Owner of FrogLube is apparently a customer of ours at work, and lives near me I discovered. Couldn't bring myself to talk guns with him.