The Cult of Appendix Carry – you’re all wrong

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
http://www.breachbangclear.com/cult-of-appendix-carry-youre-all-wrong/

Written by Mad Duo on 27 April, 2015.

And now, a few words from our friend Chuck Haggard. He doesn't call the author/article he's referencing insipid or banal, so we won't either. Nor will we take issue with his condescending use of the word 'craze.' We'll just say he's myopic and leave it at that - fact is, we're glad someone presented an anti-AIWB argument, we've been looking for one. We're just wish it had been more cogent. Mad Duo

"This is a bit of an open post to the NRA and to the writer of this blog Op-Ed, because the derp, half truth and bullshit posted in this bit is stunning coming from an organization that represents millions of gun owners and gun carriers. Literally nothing Darren LaSorte wrote in this "article" is accurate, nothing. To steal a quote from Tamara Keel; "Other people are doing things differently from me. If they're right, I must be wrong. I am not wrong, therefore, they must be." The human psyche's a pretty zero-sum place. Mr. LaSorte, your Dunning-Kruger Effect is showing, and that's even more embarrassing than walking around with your fly open." Chuck Haggard

Here's an excerpt of the op-ed Haggard is talking about.

"The devotees of the relatively recent appendix carry craze disagree with me. To say that they are somewhat vehement in their beliefs is putting things lightly. They turn a suspicious eye toward me and all of the other daily gun carriers who don’t choose to carry a gun in the most uncomfortable place on our bodies possible. The joke is that appendix carriers are becoming more like a cult than a group of gun owners concerned for their safety and that of others. If you don’t roll their way, you don’t roll at all."

Read the rest of the article here. Be forewarned, it's a mediocre piece at best - and we disagree with - BUT, hey, at least the dude is pro-gun and the topic is certainly worth discussion. Let's keep things this side of profane as we debate - in the end we're happy when anyone carries a gun responsibly (even if they are smarmy about how they do it).

Here's a counter-argument on the good points - feel free to opine, agree or disagree. Disagreement is where learning occurs (if arguments are made intelligently, in a tone designed to encourage discourse). http://www.breachbangclear.com/why-carry-aiwb/

Feel free to look for more from Chuck Haggard (who recently returned from a cross country ride Augustus McCrae and Gus Call). Find him on Facebook, Agile Training) orcheck them out online here.

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
As noted previously, I started out using AIWB carry nearly 30 years ago when faced with the need to carry a service pistol (at various times in my military career a 1911, M9, or Sig P226/228) while wearing the Navy Service Dress Blue uniform--since the jacket is a double breasted type that could not be left unbuttoned, AIWB was the only option to allow easy access to the pistol. It also worked well with BDU/DCU uniforms when not wanting to appear armed, for example on MEDCAP's. Lou Alessi made us some holsters (APX-IWB), as shown in the photo, with a slight reverse FBI cant that worked very well for this option--the only potential downside of the Alessi holster was the plastic "Talon" clip that secured it to the belt--although to be honest none ever broke or caused any problems for us.
GKRAIWB1911DCU_zps8891822f.jpg

Likewise I have used AIWB for over a decade in the LE and civilian world, to carry 1911's, G19's, and most recently M&P45's w/ambi-safeties. During a recent Independence Day celebration, a couple of friends from the PD were teasing me about my uncharacteristically running around unarmed in just a hippie-cam T-shirt and shorts, as shown in the photo below--not realizing I was carrying a 5" 1911 AIWB in an Alessi holster, along with a couple of extra mags...
GKRAIWB1911_zps75e8d4a9.jpg

I currently primarily use the superb JM Custom AIWB holster or Fricke Seraphim to carry a 9 mm Glock or M&P AIWB each day, including bicycling to and from work. Recently, Tony Mayer at JM Custom fabricated an AIWB holster that allows me to carry a G19 with x300U light installed. I had to drive several hours to an all day meeting and back while wearing suit last week and was perfectly comfortable wearing my JM Custom AIWB holster, as shown below.
JM%20AIWB%20x300U%20side%20view_zps6nt5htif.jpg

Note that the pistols I have most frequently carried AIWB--Glocks, M&P's, and 1911's are either striker fired or cocked and locked. There are NO problems if appropriate care and prudence is exercised while slowly re-holstering along with simultaneously tilting the holster AWAY from all critical anatomic areas that could be perforated or damage if the pistol inadvertently discharges. Much like other endeavors requiring error free performance such as flying, deep scuba diving, rock climbing, and performing surgery--DON'T MAKE ANY MISTAKES when doing this!

TAC450

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner
I had tried AIWB a few times over the years but never with much success. It wasn't till I was gifted "The Sirloin" from RCS during SHOT that I put much more effort or thought into the AIWB approach of carrying. While my preferred and go-to holster/method still remains the VG2 in a strong side carry, weeks of Eidolon Love has shown me that AIWB is indeed a viable and occasionally appropriate alternative.
Much like Jake, I am packing around 30-40lbs of unnecessary excess that might otherwise infringe on my ability to carry AIWB comfortably. But like he said, with a small shift from AIWB "Center" to a more strong side AIWB things get suddenly mighty comfortable.

I can logically assume that continued carry/ dry drills/ range time with my Eidolon would make for a more comfortable carry (both psychologically and physically) and no doubt shedding a few (or many) of those extra 30-40lbs wouldn't hurt either. In the mean time the sexy of the VG2 and my Eidolon enable me to where both holster systems in either the IWB or AIWB positions with comfort and ease. I'm still not 100% on board with the AIWB carry but may get there as time goes by. But that said, I am much more comfortable with this position than I have been over the years.

Joey

I've been using Raven Concealment holsters for quite a few years & got in on the pre release of the Eidolon. Ran it with the G19/RMR for a couple months in both IAWB and IWB configuration. Now I've packed on way to many pounds in the last 12 years so I've got a belly. Loved the drawstroke of the Eidolon, best holster I've ever drawn out of, smooth & fast.

My problem is that I'm fat, pushing 300lbs at 5'11 & just could not find a comfortable position for the Eidolon, couple times thought I had it adjusted right, but after 14-16 hours over 300ish miles and in & out of the vehicle all day at the end of the day had a very hot/sore spot and once even was bruised. It's my own fault for being a fat ass (something I've been working on with limited joy) but sad to say just could not configure it to fit my body shape.

Went back to the Raven Phantom with wings & tuckable soft loops & the G-19/RMR disappears in my Wranglers & after 14+ hours & around 300 miles felt like I just put it on, no hot spots or anything except the normal back pain that comes with having 2 back surgeries & other physical limitations.

regdudedrtyjob

I was on a plane for about 6-7 hours recently. I'm concealing a P2000 in a Custom Carry Concepts "Uno" right now. I was pretty uncomfortable by the end of the day, but I blame that on the ride height of the holster, barrel length, and where the holster rides on my belt. The length of the pistol puts the barrel into the very top part of my leg, and if I was trying to pack my government length 1911 or my VP9, I think it would be just right for resting alongside my leg, not pointing into and digging into it. Also losing weight and moving the gun closer to center line would probably help.

Jackdog

I've been carrying aiwb since 2004. Currently use a Keepers for my issued Sig P229. I've used it on flights up to 18hrs longs and find it to be comfortable. No complaints from me. Best way to carry if you have to be seated for long hours. Also, allows for a low profile stealth draw without telegraphing your intentions.

JCSpringer

As to the original article I wonder if Lasorte was trying to be edgy like Colion and sound hip and condescending when he ultimatley came off like a hipster jack ass.