The 2nd Amendment.pdf (Comprehensive Historical Context)

This was the result of a personal research project during college (Electrical Engineering), for which at the time was to no one's surprise, very anti-gun. So I decided to really dig into the issue to find out what wisdom America's founders had on this particular subject. As a refresher, the first couple of pages start out simply with our declaration of independence and the Bill of Rights.

The really interesting stuff starts towards the end of page 3. I shared this with the LE's/ Rangers / Marines that offer marksmanship training in my area and they loved it. Please do note that information is presented as it was originally written, this study was not based on interpretations, but rather on actual historical documents. It's more of a collection of "proof of intent" comprised of letters of personal correspondence, news paper columns from the 1700's and stenographed congressional debates.

Once you are finished reading, one can come to no other conclusion as to the intent of the 2nd Amendment and it's scope of application and while I would expect everyone on this forum to already understand this, it is great to have over 20 pages of confirming evidence you can present to those who do not know or understand.

Attachments

• The Second Amendment.pdf
    929 KB · Views: 5
A few snippets form the study:

“The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, (as in electing their functionaries executive and legislative, and deciding by a jury of themselves, in all judiciary cases in which any fact is involved) or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of the press.”
- letter to Major John Cartwright (June 5, 1824)

"The prohibition is general. No clause in the Constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give to Congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretense by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both."
- William Rawle, A View of the Constitution 125-6 (2nd ed. 1829)

“At a time, when our lordly masters in Great Britain will be satisfied with nothing less than the deprivation of American freedom, it seems highly necessary that something should be done to avert the stroke, and maintain the liberty, which we have derived from our ancestors. But the manner of doing it, to answer the purpose effectually, is the point in question. That no man should scruple, or hesitate a moment, to use arms in defence of so valuable a blessing, on which all the good and evil of life depends, is clearly my opinion. Yet arms, I would beg leave to add, should be the last resource, the dernier resort. Addresses to the throne, and remonstrances to Parliament, we have already, it is said, proved the inefficacy of. How far, then, their attention to our rights and privileges is to be awakened or alarmed, by starving their trade and manufacturers, remains to be tried.”
- Letter to George Mason, Apr. 5, 1769; The Writings of George Washington, collected and edited by Worthington Chauncey Ford (New York and London: G. P. Putnam’s Sons, 1889). Vol. III (1758-1775)

“To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace. A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.”
- First Annual Message to Congress; Federal Hall, New York City (January 8, 1790)

Smith

I liked the book First Freedom by David Harsanyi. Not just about 2A stuff, more of a history of the gun generally and in the U.S. in particular, but does a pretty good job of explaining how fundamental owning and using a gun was from the beginning.

There's a lot of history that is forgotten especially by my generation (Millenials) and just as many lessons to be learned from it.