Testosterone, Bravado and Alpha Males

Freedom Forged

Having been around guns my whole life like others here, I have been in my share of gun stores and ranges. Even after all these years it's still somewhat intimidating to visit either for the first time. I have never liked nor understood why "the usual crowd" that hangs around the LGS feel the need to try to be the dominant male. I know all of you have seen it. I've witnessed it ad nauseam. These guys either seem to not talk to you at all or without invitation tell you what to buy, how to shoot and otherwise try to build themselves up by making you feel ignorant, misguided and submissive to their vast knowledge of the gun world. 99 times out of 100 you know that what they are saying is total bullshit and they mostly regurgitate the crap that they have heard on the web.

" why do you want a gun with 15 rounds, you only need 1 if ya know how to shoot"

Or my favorite.

"9mm! Those bounce of windshields! You need a real gun, get you a 40!"

When it comes to guns let me say right away, I don't know much. If I did I'd be teaching classes not taking classes. But, you don't have to know it all to help someone.

I go out of my way not to be that guy. I was at the range yesterday and two guys beside me had recently gotten their CC permit. It was clear to me by overhearing their conversation that these guys had not been around guns very much. They rented a couple of different guns each to try before they buy. Very smart I thought. After they shot for a few minutes I congratulated them on getting their CC and asked if they had tried a Glock yet. One said no and the other said he rented and shot a 43. I replied; I have a G19, you're welcome to shoot it if you want. These guys looked at me like I had two heads. Really? One guy asked.

Cutting to the chase here, these to guys had a hard time believing someone was actually being kind and helpful and not making them feel like dumbasses. I answered their questions as best I could about CC. After about 15 minutes I had to leave and they thanked me multiple times for helping them out. I am sure they had run into the puffy chested, been there done that, self appointed know-it-all many times.

We are ALL ambassadors of our sport/hobby/business. If we want to engage more men and women in what we enjoy we have to be like one section of the Scout Motto; Helpful, Courteous and Kind. We need to strive to not be "That Guy"

My 2 cents.
FF

jake0331

When I these situations at the range, I put the target at twice the distance as the guy next to me and with the smallest gun I have, shoot the smallest group I.can while still shooting faster than them. Double so if its a Marine 'teaching' his better half how to shoot. With a full size. Usually the gf asks for advice while the bf is buying more ammo to correct their own mistakes

Joe _K

Established
When I these situations at the range, I put the target at twice the distance as the guy next to me and with the smallest gun I have, shoot the smallest group I.can while still shooting faster than them. Double so if its a Marine 'teaching' his better half how to shoot. With a full size. Usually the gf asks for advice while the bf is buying more ammo to correct their own mistakes
I hate that sterotype of Marines teaching their significant others firearm stuff because I have seen it time and time again and it usually doesn't go very well. That said as a Marine I taught my wife to shoot and we did very well together.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

Freedom Forged

When he is teaching her and she shoots better than he does it is a shit show! I, like you guys have witnessed it! It is awesome!

M80Ball

Never shot at a public, formal range before. Only been in a LGS once (never again, box of 20 147gr HST for $25, no thanks). There's still a fuck ton of those guys on the web though. Never understood the point in belittling someone because they're new and unaware. By trying to be the "alpha" (asshole), it just reflects insecurities on their part. A legit alpha male is far from that asshole stereotype.

Asr34

Amateur
I love guns and shooting, learning about guns and shooting and talking about guns and shooting.

I hate gun stores, gun clubs and public ranges. I go to my range at off hours (perk of night turn I guess) just so I don't have to see anyone and hear a guy with a XD in a serpa tell me what seals carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freedom Forged

I love guns and shooting, learning about guns and shooting and talking about guns and shooting.

I hate gun stores, gun clubs and public ranges. I go to my range at off hours (perk of night turn I guess) just so I don't have to see anyone and hear a guy with a XD in a serpa tell me what seals carry.

This^ This^ This^

Mike London

This is an interesting thread, if only because it seems the original post is different from the follow on comments, and I believe it plays into the very purpose of P&S as well.
There are plenty of people out there that are perfectly willing to simply mock the ignorant, or refuse to engage with them. P&S, however, exists not just to identify ignorance and bad info, but also to attempt to educate (https://primaryandsecondary.com/whyprimary/). As an example; You're driving down the road, and there are dozens of signs along the road. Through your diligence (or sheer dumb luck), you spot one that says "Bridge Out Ahead", and look for a different route. A minivan passes you, headed for the bridge. After they crash, you shake your head, and discuss with your copilot how much you despise people who don't read the signs, and explain away any responsibility to even attempt to help them navigate. Your ability to gather good information and apply it doesn't make you superior to them, but your refusal to attempt to share your wisdom with them might, indeed, make you inferior.
I realize that not everyone is teachable, nor do we have the time/resources to reach them all. But, I applaud the OP for his willingness to take the initiative to at least try.

Joe _K

Established
Thought this summed up well what we see out there.
3b5f4dcb59bebede163451e7c6605d1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Asr34

Amateur
This is an interesting thread, if only because it seems the original post is different from the follow on comments, and I believe it plays into the very purpose of P&S as well.
There are plenty of people out there that are perfectly willing to simply mock the ignorant, or refuse to engage with them. P&S, however, exists not just to identify ignorance and bad info, but also to attempt to educate (https://primaryandsecondary.com/whyprimary/). As an example; You're driving down the road, and there are dozens of signs along the road. Through your diligence (or sheer dumb luck), you spot one that says "Bridge Out Ahead", and look for a different route. A minivan passes you, headed for the bridge. After they crash, you shake your head, and discuss with your copilot how much you despise people who don't read the signs, and explain away any responsibility to even attempt to help them navigate. Your ability to gather good information and apply it doesn't make you superior to them, but your refusal to attempt to share your wisdom with them might, indeed, make you inferior.
I realize that not everyone is teachable, nor do we have the time/resources to reach them all. But, I applaud the OP for his willingness to take the initiative to at least try.

I re-read my reply and it sounded snarkier than intended. I wholeheartedly agree we should all help each other out.

I don't view myself as a gun snob. I learned from the ground up, because firearms were not a part of my upbringing. No political or religious reasons, I just didn't have any parents, uncles, grandparents etc that owned or shot guns. I picked up the "bug" in college and continued to learn into my LE career.

I've had to sort through a lot of chafe and I'm very grateful for sources like this and LF. I've met great instructors and posers alike. Some of my early knowledge was from gun counter guys and "your caliber better start with a 4" cops and shooters. It takes someone who knows better to share and get you past the derp.

My post was more frustration with those who have convinced themselves that they know best. I'm more than happy to share whatever little knowledge I have with my fellow coppers and people in my spheres of influence.