Tell me why I shouldn't buy a lefty Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308

Runcibleman

So, I don't actually have anything in .308/7.62mm and thought I'm sitting on a fair bit of 7.62mm, I haven't had the urge to get something to sling that lead with until now. It all started with me fantasizing about the POF Rogue "pistol" with the 12.5" barrel.

Then I realized that POF isn't exactly worth spending $1850 or so on, and a 6 pound 12.5" barreled .308 gas gun probably kicks like a mule and is probably pretty disgustingly loud. But tell me if you think I am totally wrong about that.

So I thought, why not follow Jeff Cooper's Scout rifle example, and so I happened on the Ruger GSR. I like that it comes with 10 round magazines, and is even available with a left hand bolt (I'm left-eye dominant). But is that worth the $800 or so that I could pick one up for? And how much will I hate that I can't put a Modlite OKW-18650 on it with any ease?

Ultimately I would like a relatively affordable but more importantly handy and decently accurate .308 that I can shoot relatively quickly and move with, so there's an emphasis on weight and overall length, as well as the ability to take 10 round magazines or more.

If you decide to go ahead and get one, and don't mind buying used, send me a PM.

I've got one I'll let go. Original box/papers and a few extras.

FWIW, they're fun, but let's be realistic... the AR platform has it beat.

Chaucer

Amateur
If you ever travel to ban states, its not a bad option to have as a truck gun when you can cross one county line and be a felon, like in illinois. You can be pretty safe travelling anywhere and not worry about the local laws. In a recent ModCast Steve Fisher said he has a very similar setup he keeps in the backseat of his truck for when he travels in california.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MojoNixon

Established
So, I don't actually have anything in .308/7.62mm and thought I'm sitting on a fair bit of 7.62mm, I haven't had the urge to get something to sling that lead with until now. It all started with me fantasizing about the POF Rogue "pistol" with the 12.5" barrel.

Then I realized that POF isn't exactly worth spending $1850 or so on, and a 6 pound 12.5" barreled .308 gas gun probably kicks like a mule and is probably pretty disgustingly loud. But tell me if you think I am totally wrong about that.

So I thought, why not follow Jeff Cooper's Scout rifle example, and so I happened on the Ruger GSR. I like that it comes with 10 round magazines, and is even available with a left hand bolt (I'm left-eye dominant). But is that worth the $800 or so that I could pick one up for? And how much will I hate that I can't put a Modlite OKW-18650 on it with any ease?

Ultimately I would like a relatively affordable but more importantly handy and decently accurate .308 that I can shoot relatively quickly and move with, so there's an emphasis on weight and overall length, as well as the ability to take 10 round magazines or more.
I have an MnP10 sport thats 8 pounds stock and empty. It’s a 2 MOA gun in my incompetent hands with M-80 ball. Takes 10,20, or 25 round Pmags. $800’ish new. I also have a Savage 110 Tactical that’s due to arrive at my FFL this Thursday. Everything I see on this gun is it’s 1 MOA or better with good ammo. $600’ish new. Actually heavier by 2/3 pound than the MnP and does take AICS pattern mags. 5 or 10 rounds. Looking forward to breaking this one in, soon.