Teaching the Drawstroke to a Newbie?

ScottPM09

This might deserve a new topic and if so I apologize. When teaching the draw stroke what tips or techniques do you use to help newer students shoot with both eyes open ? Recently I have had a couple students struggle with this. They have not been able to train their eyes and brain to transpose the target and sights into 1 sight picture. They are seeing two different targets and one set of sights. Does anyone have any insight on this ?

One of the first things I would recommend doing is figuring out if the troubled shooter is cross-eye dominant. This is more common than most people think and can be stressful on the shooter's eyes when they don't realize the cross demonization (they are attempting to look at the front sight with the weaker eye while their dominant eye is seeing other things like the target).
If you can diagnose this as the issue, there are a few ways to remedy it. Either teach them to shoot with the other hand for better dominant eye alignment, or (for pistols especially), have them slightly cock their head so that their dominant eye is in-line with the sights.

This is just my $.02 from what I have come across.

tacweapon

Thanks for the input, I have been able to do that for a couple people with good results. The problems have been with 2 specific people that are not cross dominate and have been working on it for a couple months and still struggling with it.

ScottPM09

If I am understanding the issue correctly, I think that I have experienced it a few times as well, particularly with distance shots. I always figured it was just a little bit of fatigue setting in and I compensate by winking in my non-dominant eye. This helps me refocus my dominant eye on the sight picture (which should be in line with the correct target and not the *ghost* target). I use the term "winking" to denote that the eye is only closed for a brief moment and then reopens to regain peripherals.

OR...maybe these newer shooters simply need more range time to get used to the function of only using one eye while both eyes are still collecting information? I could continue guessing, but hopefully someone else with more experience with this than me will come along to help you out.

JCSpringer

I view the 4 count draw stroke the same way I'd expect to learn a new dance (remember in those old school cartoons there'd be big paper sheets with shoe prints on them tossed around a floor with a record playeing in the background and Tom cat would try to eat Jerry? Maybe its just me). It is learning by the numbers. As one becomes profecient in passing through those stages they become more fluid and through bored repetition can really bring their drawstroke down into a singular fluid movement. Or like in boxing or anything else, if you are going to try to teach it to someone it is nice to be able to break down something into smaller observable/ identifiable parts. You wouldn't throw on some focus mits and tell a n00b to come up and effectivley throw a jab, cross, hook, cross, bob, upper cut combo without teaching the punches independently. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the original question, but I just don't see how you can take any complex movement and just let someone have at it naturally without some guidance.

What I find interesting about different methodologies on the draw stroke is that the same information is normally given, but just in a different format. Some instructors start bringing bio-mechanical efficiencies and other science based explanations into the mix (sometimes less is more when is comes to explanation IMO). Other instructors just give you the how to__ and why it works for them.

I went through Pat McNamara's T.A.P.S. class last year and he gave some great and simple advice on the draw stroke. He said the best advice on the draw is "holstering in reverse". Simply put, re-holster the gun from full presentation and you'll see where your hands are supposed to be placed during the draw. He also mentioned having a consistent presentation from the "ready" position. Consistency of presentation and proper trigger squeeze is of the utmost importance....speed comes with repetition.

What is important about the draw remains the same and is relatively universal no matter the different styles from different people. 1) Establishing a proper (high tang) strong hand grip on the gun from the holster 2) Clearing the gun from the holster and meeting up with your support hand 3) Having a consistent presentation to the target and sending accurate hits on target.

Some good reading on this and other subjects: T.A.P.S. (Tactical Application of Practical Shooting), 2nd edition, Patrick McNamara