TDI "Integrated Impact Weapons" 4/27-4/28 2013

WayneF

Tactical Defense Institute
Integrated Impact Weapons
Primary Instructors: Greg Ellifritz
27-28 Apr 2013
West Union, Ohio

This was my third course with Greg Ellifritz and first trip to TDI. TDI is very well known for not only their facility but the great cadre of instructors they have developed, I was not at all let down.

The course had 16 participants with varied ages and background with a total of 5 women in attendance. Experience levels ranged from multiple class graduates, to people with zero training to a martial arts instructor. The backgrounds of the students were apparent and it helped learning as they would ask various questions or provide input from their frames of reference.

TD1 started out with collapsible batons. Greg took some time to cover the various batons and sizes on the market and provide a quick lesson on the proper care and maintenance.
Pic10_zpsc1e91580.jpg

Everyone was issued a collapsible baton to train with that they would be able to take home after the course. Greg covered the various carry methods and positions. I had always been trained to carry a baton tip down, after discussing the benefits of each method, I have since changed this.

Once we found our desired carry position we went into opening methods and discussed when each one would be preferred.

We then worked on strikes in open mode, closed mode and combinations. Much of this will be familiar to LEO’s as it is straight from the ASP program, in fact it will count for recertification.

Greg’s teaching method was straightforward and very effective. He would demonstrate a technique and we would shadow box it. From there we would try it with our partners either using full power strikes on a pad or light strikes on each other.

Pic8_zps2ba7bad0.jpg

Pic9_zps1f262658.jpg

This is when Greg varied background came into play. He is an ASP and Monadnock instructor but he brought in aspects of Filipino stick fighting, Styers short end techniques developed for the OSS, and methods developed by Phil Messina of Modern Warrior. This was all brand new to me and it was amazing just how devastating some of these other methods can be when compared to simple strikes.

Pic11_zps068c3fef.jpg

Pic7_zps87d649b6.jpg

We worked on defense from grabs, chokes, headlocks and bear hugs. We also covered baton retention.

At that point we put away the batons and started working with the Kubaton. After covering the two methods of holding the kubaton Greg went on to discuss the sensitive areas we should attempt to target as well as various wrist locks.

Pic12_zps31e6e1bf.jpg

With that out of the way we went on to working on defenses against reaches, grabs, front chokes, bear hugs, rear chokes and other attacks. He also covered some pretty trick takedowns that I will have to work on as I can see them being very useful. That wrapped up TD1 and we broke for the day.

TD2 started out in the classroom where we did a quick warmup and covered the various strikes from the day prior. We then broke out the mats and started to work on ground fighting with the Kubaton.

We got a chance to break various holds by simply applying pressure to sensitive areas; it didn’t take much imagination to see how devastating these could be at full force. Many of us with a wrestling or ground fighting background were amazed at how effectively you could control someone on the deck.

Pic6_zpseb164519.jpg

We then moved up to an outdoor range so we would have more room to move around for what was coming next. We used the cycling hammer fist technique Greg learned from Mike Janich at Martial Blade Concepts. I was partnered up with very experienced martial artist with a substantial height and reach advantage. He was amazed at how hard it was to defend from this very simple technique.

Next up was training to defend against multiple attackers. A heavy emphasis was placed on staying to the outside and attempting to line up your attackers so you only have to fight one at a time.

Next up was cane fighting. I will be admit that leading up to this I thought it wouldn’t be very practical. I envisioned a bunch of old men fighting in the bingo hall…. I was very, very wrong.

We started out with a short discussion on cane selection and modifications. John Benner stepped in and talked about the purpose built defensive cane that they designed in coordination with Kabar, it is a very wicked yet understated weapon

pic5_zpsd4d827a4.jpg

After that we worked on single hand and double hand striking methods. The first time I delivered a full power swing with that cane and felt the power behind it, I had a new found response for my grandpa.

From there we went on to using the cane to defend against various types of attack and worked on retention of the cane. We also had a chance

Pic3_zps794b5851.jpg

Pic13_zps84e3a998.jpg

We then took a short break while Greg suited up in a FIST suit for some practical exercises. The first evolution was with a padded ASP so we could deliver more powerful strikes on a moving target than we could with our training partners.

Pic15_zps9f583629.jpg

The next evolution was a bit more “spirited” as Greg would come at you and attempt to gain control of you and your weapon. The students were allowed to pick their choice of the three impact weapons with a surprising large number picking the Kubaton.

Pic16_zps4abd50d4.jpg

Pic2_zps226bd987.jpg

Pic1_zpsf10f58bb.jpg

That wrapped up our class. I personally walked away with a lot of tricks to add to my toolbox. While I hardly carry an ASP on a duty belt anymore, I do keep a large Maglite in my car and the Kubaton immediately went on my keys before I left the range.

With the current ammo situation people are taking the easy way out and simply not training. Why not make the most of it and work on a different skill set? Go seek out some medical, knife, open hand or impact weapons training.

Tactical Defense Institute and Greg Ellfritz can help you with all of those options. Greg also runs one of the best tactical blogs I have ever visited; I guarantee that you will learn something every week from his website alone.

http://tdiohio.com/

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/[/quote]