TCCC/TECC Certification Questions

Hello,
I'm about to start an EMT class and I'm considering also taking either a TCCC or TECC class either before, during, or after the conclusion of the EMT class.
I'm curious as to whether TCCC or TECC has relevance in the medical community in the civilian side, and whether I will learn anything there that will make me more knowledgeable or marketable in any real way.
I understand the fact that gaining certificates can help, and it certainly doesn't hurt, but I want to be able to justify the cost as well.
Thanks!

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Take it after. Don’t get info confused in the EMT course if there is any conflict. EMT is a national or regional standard. Don’t mess with it while you’re trying to get your cert.

TECC certainly has application in the civilian world. If you ever encounter gunshot or other penetrating injury you can use it.

A few years ago I ran into a situation where TECC says Tq high on the extremity and some others (I think it was EMT) said right above the injury. I asked a combat medic what the story was and he told me that EMT is oriented more toward laceration bleeding control not penetrating injury where there can be significant unseen damage.

For reference, I am TECC trainer and not an EMT.

Take it after. Don’t get info confused in the EMT course if there is any conflict. EMT is a national or regional standard. Don’t mess with it while you’re trying to get your cert.

TECC certainly has application in the civilian world. If you ever encounter gunshot or other penetrating injury you can use it.

A few years ago I ran into a situation where TECC says Tq high on the extremity and some others (I think it was EMT) said right above the injury. I asked a combat medic what the story was and he told me that EMT is oriented more toward laceration bleeding control not penetrating injury where there can be significant unseen damage.

For reference, I am TECC trainer and not an EMT.
That makes sense.
I would like to hear more about TECC standards and all that a TECC class entails. You can PM me if it would derail the thread.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
I can’t go into a great detail but it’s a 1-2 day course in the civilian world depending on depth of material presentation and number of reps.

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
I did combat lifesaver (Marine TCCC, I'm not sure how much the curriculum might differ from a civilian version) before I did EMT. I think a lot of it would depend on your AO and what your instructors' experience is. Two of my instructors were San Diego county SWAT medics and the course was held on Pendleton, so there was a lot of TCCC discussion that got sprinkled in with the course. Medical wasn't neglected but trauma was brought up a lot. I see a lot of benefit if you do a good TCCC course because it will give you a down and dirty over view of how the human body works together that you can build upon in your EMT course.