Taurus Spesco Revolver

Joel Bear

Hey Everyone,

One of the local pawn shops near me has 1960/1970's Taurus Spesco Revolver in .38 SPL. I have done a little digging on them and found they were imported from Brazil to Atlanta Georgia for a low-end revolver to resell at K-Mart and other locations. What I have not been able to find is any reviews on them. Are they good guns or is it just a wall hanger? I like the look of it but I actually want to shoot it as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

shoobe01

Established
Know nothing of the gun but a tiny bit of history: Taurus was one of many foreign makes that were imported by various orgs. Spesco was a distributor, followed more or less directly by Interarms who also imported Rossi and Star. I think I still have a catalog from that era with all three.

Taurus USA was founded in 1982 but there was something like 20 years before they stopped all the use of third party importers. Interarms certainly had them up through the mid-1990s. Likely both contracts and existing distribution systems so they didn't want to start from scratch.

I am not aware of Taurus making specifically awful guns like e.g. the post-war German Röhm or anything. I assume they are fine, just unknown and imported from a place with cheap labor.