Taurus 605 T.O.R.O. Range Report and Recoil Test

I was finally able to get out to the range and see if the threaded recoil posts on the optic plate would hold up under the force of firing full magnum loads. After seeing a good piece off one of the posts in question crumble apart this was a big concern for me. I will describe the test and good news and go on from there.

The test itself;
15 yards. 5 shots each round. Checking witness marks and screw tightness between rounds.
.38 Special:
90 gr. FTX, 110 gr. FTX, 130 gr. FMJ, 158 gr. LRN

.357 Magnum:
125 gr. XTP (Hornady), 125 gr. XTP ( handloads), 158 gr. LSWC, 158 gr. SCHP ( handloads)

After the 40 rounds of mixed grain weight and velocity the optic plate held up and the screws remained hand tight and the witness marks unmoved. That's the good news.

While sighting in the optic (which I did with the 158 gr. LRN Performance Wheelgun in .38 Special) there was a significant point of aim, point of impact change. With the optic dialed all the to the right for windage and all the way down for elevation. Kentucky windage was needed to put the rounds where I wanted them to go.

IMG_20230424_193942633.jpg

I am by no means anything beyond a novice revolver shooter. Close to a thousand rounds fired between .357 mag, .38 special and .22 lr through revolvers, so this disparity could be entirely my doing. Which brings me nicely to the conclusion.

My intended purpose for this was hunting but after the results of today I am not sure that I could ethically or responsibly take game with it as is.
So for me, I either have to spend a lot of time with this gun at the range with different loads and grip choices or choose a different purpose for this particular firearm.

I will state this is a sample size of one, amounting to anecdotal evidence at best. These are my opinions and experiences based on my current understanding of the topic and in no way amount to absolute fact.

Thank you for your time. Stay safe. Have a blessed day.