Tau Dev Group Gadget Troubleshooting

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
There was a report on Discord of a Gadget not working right - sliding down.

"Yes. Would slide down and prevent the slide from going into battery. Only 1/8 to 1/4 inch so really hard to even tell what was wrong at first"

Tom of Tau Dev Group responded with:

"This is 99.999999% indicative of an SCD that was not correctly installed.

Not correct meaning that that channel spacer sleeve was not fully seated in the recess on the inner/forward surface of the SCD.

When the channel spacer sleeve is fully seated it takes a lot (100+ pounds) of force to slide it off without depressing the channel spacer sleeve. If it comes off, it’s not correctly installed."

spinmove_

I would agree with Tom’s assessment. I’ve got ~4,000 rounds between two different SCDs and have had 0 issues. This is also the first time I’ve ever heard of this issue personally and I spend entirely too much time over at Pistol-Forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCinVA

Amateur
Agreed. The SCD has a recess machined in it for the striker sleeve just like a factory Glock backplate. If the Glock slideplate comes off easily it is likely because it was not pushed all the way in...same with the SCD.

I was one of the beta testers for the SCD (I signed my NDA in 2011) and this is the first time I've encountered such a report.

We saw this in a Jedi class here in Illinois and it happened with not only the original shooter's Gadget but I switched out mine into his slide as well and it continued to happen. It's possible that there was wear on his striker spacer sleeve, or that his slide is just out of tolerance enough to let the Gadget slide down. I noticed that it really only started malfunctioning after successive strings of fire so heat expansion might have had something to do with it. Maybe not.