Talk to me about the VSS Vintorez

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
IMG_3310.JPG

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VSS_Vintorez

For some reason I have found myself absolutely fascinated by this quirky little "sniper" rifle recently, but I'm having trouble finding much in-depth information about it online. I suppose for a gun designed before the age of the internet and meant for special operations that shouldn't be too surprising, but hopefully by posting here I can entice some of the AK nerds amongst us to share any knowledge they have.

Any information regarding the development, use, effectiveness, etc would be greatly appreciated

JLL2013

Development: Think of it as a DMR rifle in urban environments with a focus on defeating body armor.
Use: DMR in the squad, SOF type sniper stuff.
Effectiveness: think of it as a Russian 300blk; 200-300m realistic envelope.

The gun is cool. But not worth the pain of getting one of the rumored reproductions.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Development: Think of it as a DMR rifle in urban environments with a focus on defeating body armor.
Use: DMR in the squad, SOF type sniper stuff.
Effectiveness: think of it as a Russian 300blk; 200-300m realistic envelope.

The gun is cool. But not worth the pain of getting one of the rumored reproductions.

It did seem to me based on what I've been reading that it would be best suited for urban use. The 9x39mm cartridge is nearly as interesting as the rifle itself (with seemingly more information available online, too).

I wouldn't be interested in building or buying a clone, but potentially building a rifle in the same spirit with modern components...That's certainly something that's relevant to my interests

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Based on a bit more information I found though it seems the AK subforum might not have been the most appropriate location for this topic though - Is the operating system more similar to a VZ58? Striker-fired system?

JLL2013

Based on a bit more information I found though it seems the AK subforum might not have been the most appropriate location for this topic though - Is the operating system more similar to a VZ58? Striker-fired system?

Negative, long stroke gas piston. No striker fired rifles in the Russian world.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Yes, it's got a long stroke piston as well as being striker fired;

http://modernfirearms.net/en/sniper...ifles/russia-standart-caliber-rifles/vss-eng/

"The VSS is a gas operated, selective fire weapon. The long stroke gas piston is located above the barrel. The rotating bolt has 6 lugs and locks into the receiver, which is machined from solid steel for greater strength. The trigger unit differs significantly from AK-47 type firearms, being striker-fired. The safety switch and charging handle are AK-style, but the fire selector is a cross-bolt button, located inside the trigger guard, behind the trigger."

Long stroke piston, striker fired, six lug rotating bolt sounds like a hybrid of several different systems

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I'm formulating ideas on how I would go about building a modernized/Americanized rifle that captures the spirit of the Vintorez...

Daniel Defense DDM4ISR, Hera CQR thumbhole stock, and a LPVO...

JLL2013

I'm formulating ideas on how I would go about building a modernized/Americanized rifle that captures the spirit of the Vintorez...

Daniel Defense DDM4ISR, Hera CQR thumbhole stock, and a LPVO...

The spirit of the VSS is an "urban sniper," break-down, short, always-suppressed rifle. 300blk makes sense, maybe a folding stock adapter.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
These guys are making both an integrally suppressed AR and a limited-run AK chambered in 9x39;

https://www.piedmontcartridge.com

And Wolf is introducing two 9x39 uppers in different barrel lengths in the near future;

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...olf-ammos-9x39-ar-15-taiwanese-205th-arsenal/

I think the question here is, given that the whiz-bang steel/tungsten core AP rounds won't be available for purchase, is there really anything that the standard FMJ 9x39 rounds can do that 300BLK can't do, while being more readily available for purchase?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
http://www.slaggamfg.com/products/

This company is also working on a reproduction Vintorez in 300BLK/5.56/7.62x39.

I have to admit, as neat as the VSS itself is, I'm probably less interested in a clone/reproduction of the actual rifle than I would be in building my own AR-based counterpart. Never particularly been the "cloner" type

Dr. Cornwallis

Negative, long stroke gas piston. No striker fired rifles in the Russian world.

There are several striker fired rifles in the Russian arsenal... the VSS and it’s variants as well as the AEK 971 just to name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slagga MFG is also doing something with a "Viska" clone in a couple of different calibers. I found them through Chitin Defense (who are working on a PP-19-01 Bizon clone - "FeistyCrawfish" on Reddit). I like the Russian oddball clones and find both to be interesting. There was also Project Yedinorog, but that seems to be a dead end. It's a shame. After the Kalashnicohn issues way back when, nobody wants to fund these projects for the fear of being ripped off. Someone described these projects as "meme guns" and a lot of them disappeared.

As for technical stuff. I've always viewed it as more of a short-range skull-stomper with emergency AP capabilities (using SP-6/7N9 ammo) should a head-shot not be ideal or available. Which is odd considering how the Russians usually go about "tactical entries" in nearly all of their shapes, fashions, and forms. You know, all PKM/Ps and 40mm/43mm grenades out of their pimpin' BTRs.

VDNKstalker

I've always thought the AS VAL was cooler than the VSS. It would be a nasty close quarters gun and its a but more ergonomic. I've seen videos of what I assume are Russian SWAT guys clearing rooms with them. They never have any optics on them or attachments just naked AS VAL's which is odd since often in the same videos their AK's have optics/lights/grips etc.

Attachments

• 91+h+rjfLsL._SL1500_.jpg
    91+h+rjfLsL._SL1500_.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 28