Taking care and maintenances of optics.

Farmboy20

What is everyone doing to maintain their optics? How are you guys taking care of your glass of your lpvo, red dots,etc. I personally have a vortex 1-6 razor hd gen-llE, holosun red dot as well as other optics. Just wondering what everyone does to keep the glass and the coating in good shape. All my guns and optics get used they get dirt,mud,rain,etc. on them as well as whatever dust gets on them from riding around in the back seat of my truck. I’m just trying take care of these semi to very expensive optics.

pointblank4445

Established
Controversial subject...

First, it shocks me how many people I see that don't have lens caps. When not in use, caps down and keep more stuff away from your lenses.

(My personal thoughts on cleaning)
- Never clean a lens "dry" unless it's an emergency. A lens pen is fine for a few uses so long as it's new/like new. Eventually, it can get embedded with dust/debris and do more harm than good
- Isopropyl alcohol lens cleaning solution is my go-to. I stay away from Windex even though many do that; many window cleaners have ammonia (unless they say otherwise). While it's fine for glass, I'm not sold on ammonia and how it may affect lens coatings and seals in the long-term use.
- Use air indirectly and sparingly

Just my take.

Farmboy20

Does anyone here know the size for the front lens cap for vortex 1-10 & 1-6 i have the rear ones but I can’t seem to find out which size to order for the front ones

shoobe01

Established
Caps or covers. Things I do not want caps on in the field (RDS, most LPVOs) get a hotel room key card (I have zillions) balanced on top of it in the rack.

Electronics get lithium or dielectric grease on the o-rings and threads for all the battery caps. From the box, usually. 99.5% of stuff comes from the factory dry, and won't stay as water tight, can become stuck or damaged.

(remainder copied from my own post on lens cleaning LF.net)

Every environment is dusty. It's always abrasive, so best to assume even your house is dangerously dusty, so the most desert/lakebed/wasteland, just the more you need to remember the proper methods, carry stuff with you.

I say/was taught:
  1. Air over brush
  2. Brush over wiping
  3. Wiping always wet
Get a small blower with brush from a camera store. Like this;

310FjQRsbdL._AC_.jpg

Today I learned, the brush comes off the end
icon_smile.gif
It works all together, doesn't need to. Blow as much off as you can. IF you must, use the very very soft brush to wipe away more, then blow that off also. Occasionally flick the brush to get the dust off it as we'll discuss more in a minute.

Get a bigger one for home. I like this Giotto one because it's a rocket and is very very good:

Giottos_AA1900_Rocket_Air_Blower_1640195434_259157.jpg

Lots of air, deals with most issues. The rocket bit also means it stays upright as shown so doesn't get dirty etc.

For more dirty, such as when it rains (or just condensates) on your dusty lenses, you wipe. Wet. Always wet. Turn it lens up, flood the area with Windex (or similar, but not like denatured alcohol, as that can dry out the rubber seals holding the lenses in, etc). Use a disposable wipe and go in a very tight spiral from the center outward.

microscopecarefigure5.jpg

The edges are the most dirty so you want to clean them last, and also less important optically if they are dirty or even scratched. May be other stuff with optics going on, all I know is people like Zeiss above do big Xs for any other pattern.

Don't use microfiber cloths etc as dust is bad stuff. The cloth absorbs some of the bad things, so you want to toss them if at all possible. Hence the cleaning the brush off periodically also. I like Kimwipes. They make a lens-specific one but I am unclear if it's just a different box label as I have used both (even provided at workplaces), and they seem identical.

6118Nbl49zL._SX522_.jpg

If you need to get visible ickiness out of the corners, wrap a wipe around a Q-tip, and (starting gently, plenty of liquid) go around the edge of the lens, where stuff gets trapped.

This wiping is going to end like window cleaning. You blow / brush to get all the chunks off, then wipe once to get big dirt, then spray with a bit less liquid, wipe around in circles pretty fast to get all the dirt and residues off, so it's perfectly clean. Should do that visible flash drying you see when good window washing. If spots (large or pinpoints) exist as it dries: it's not clean. Do it again. If it evenly flashes from wet to dry, it's clean.

Emergency, in field, etc. these are my backup. Less optimal, but pretty good and also anti-fog properties so good for eyepro, glasses:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GULTY0/

Use them alone, wet+wipe in one but otherwise the same. Leave stuff like q-tip tricks for when you get home, just don't worry about it.

There are likely equivalents, but many of my favorites disappear over time, these seem consistently available.

But, you know, whatever. I haven't really put any thought into this.

(If anyone wants to bookmark, share, etc I did a blog post of this for that reason: http://centralwargaming.blogspot.com/2022/04/how-to-clean-optics.html)

shoobe01

Established
I'm curious to hear the reasoning on this.
This is, I should have said more clearly ***I*** personally do not want caps on. I know others disagree.

Even good flip caps are IME in the snaggy woods we have in this region at least, just another snag and damage hazard for things carried in the hand. If you like to cover a scope I'd look into bikinis or similar, pocket it or tie to the mount and stow close to the gun. Stretch on when you want it. I don't so this, but have seen that work well.

Long after I did this myself anyway, but a favorite thing I have observed is every run-n-gun has a dozen caps on the ground on the trail. Some other dodads, a mag or two, but lots of scope caps. Many broken as well.

I am also forgetful, sudden things happen. Just like I have no lenscap on my camera, I don't have lenscaps on guns I might shoot at a moment's notice then see black :)

YES, I use caps on optics employed with more deliberation. Precision rifle, spotters, etc. And I even lenscap the objective side of my NODs and thermals. Flip up when powered on.

I also have neoprene covers for my RDS which I will pocket if weather is likely to be simply awful, and/or when I have to rack the gun outside in almost any weather. Ideally, remove when pulling off the rack but sometimes will put on when moving in driving snow or rain.

pointblank4445

Established
This is, I should have said more clearly ***I*** personally do not want caps on. I know others disagree.

Long after I did this myself anyway, but a favorite thing I have observed is every run-n-gun has a dozen caps on the ground on the trail. Some other dodads, a mag or two, but lots of scope caps. Many broken as well.

I agree with much of that logic.

In regrard to the quote above, there's a reason you see the tape on my objective lens caps. Like so:
xQrgoZE.jpg

shoobe01

Established
Earned experience. Things like wireties and tape on a rifle are the current version of the "beware the man with only one gun."