takedown video

Mick1331

This was posted in the P&S group on the book of faces by Roland. But thought I would post it over here for the those that don't go over there. Good example of using grappling skills to control a suspect. the officers mount control could have been better, the suspect came really close to rolling him but the officer recovered.
Some of the posters on FB pointed out the loss of situational awareness when the officer was in the mount. I don't know if he could have done better, but it definitely outlines the advantages of the knee on stomach position vs. the classic mount. If he could have gone to KOS, would have been able to stay heads up, strike, and still use the taser. Overall the guy did a great job though.

Mick1331

More violence less talking and trying to gain mount or control.

The guy was fighting and the situation called for a violent response.

Agreed. When the suspect was holding the officers head from bottom of mount, the officer should have been going to town with body shots, elbows, and framing on the neck.....

King's_Own

Amateur
I think there's a decent equipment lesson to be learnt here as well.... his radio goes flying out of that holder and is only retained on his person by his beat mike. That could have gone even worse and left him without comms.
I make my rookies buy a radio holster with retention, no questions.

back spin

Amateur
I wish all the officers at my agency had that ability and capacity for violence that that officer had. Not perfect but he got the job done.

Agreed w/ KOS being more ideal as it also allows for more mobility, being able to transition to other control positions or disengage entirely if needed.

Dr. No

I think there's a decent equipment lesson to be learnt here as well.... his radio goes flying out of that holder and is only retained on his person by his beat mike. That could have gone even worse and left him without comms.
I make my rookies buy a radio holster with retention, no questions.

An officer around here got into a tussle and bad guy wrapped the cable around his neck. BG ended up getting shot and they very quickly took the pictures of the red marks around the Officer's neck.

I thought the Officer had great composure and control on the ground. You can tell he's an experienced jiu jitsu guy, but not much MMA training. Agreed on the ground and pound, unfortunately he had a huge crowd and you could see their reaction when he started in with the strikes. I'm not a huge fan of going to the taser face to face with the dude, especially that close. If you're going to go to that, might as well disengage. It could have been very bad had BG got ahold of it then he ended up shooting him. You can see the taser loose on the ground as backup arrives. Not good especially considering the 'friendlies' around him.

Mick1331

excellent point on the radio, I'm the same way it has to have retention straps.

The video has an excellent example of the interlimb reaction too. When the officer is trying to lock up the arm triangle choke and holding the taser, he is discharging the taser the entire time. Even though it isn't on the suspect.

Fatboy

Established
Gear retention issues aside, in my opinion the officer should have used to mount to his advantage by crawling up further, getting his knees as close as possible to the suspect's armpits then fully committed to beating the guy into handcuffs. Elbows, posting up, anything to create that space and base up so that he can then apply some offense as well as keep his head up for any incoming buddies of the guy he's rolling around with.
On the other side, the bad guy was halfway to getting a quick sweep and gaining a top position. All he needed to do was continue with head control, trap an arm, and bridge/ roll. Especially since the deputy hooked the leg already.

Kudos to the officer for handling it. No armchair suggestions - just a thumbs up and mental note to buy that guy a beer if I ever see him. I've rolled around on the ground with people stronger than me, in all my gear, and it sucks balls. He did a good job and I wish that courage and composure and willingness to commit could be bottled and forcefully indoctrinated in to our academy graduates. Especially these days...