Take down pins | Primary & Secondary

Take down pins

Discussion in 'Carbines, Rifles, & Related Equipment' started by Freedom Forged, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Freedom Forged

Freedom Forged Regular Member Network Supporter

I have a Stag Arms model 1. From purchase the take down pins are so tight I can't push them out by hand. I have to use a pin punch and a small hammer. Now, don't think I have to drive them out, it just takes something to get them started. I'm glad I have a tight rifle (upper to lower) but other rifles I have I can push the pins out with my fingers or use the tip of a round.

Anyone else have this problem? Would it hurt anything if I polished the pins to make them slide better?
    FF

2. Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Random Factor of the K Power Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't recommend polishing them. It's easy to take off too much, which would leave the pins too loose, plus they'd be bare metal and more prone to corrosion.

Plus, without seeing it so take it for what it's worth, if they slide easily after they get started, I'd be inclined to think there's a misfit between the detent pin and seat, which wouldn't be alleviated by polishing.

PM07 and Freedom Forged like this.
  3. jwood1284

jwood1284 Newbie

My brother had this problem on the front pin of a RRA Operator. Turned out to be a burr on the LH side of the lower. I happened to have a .250 bit, so we oiled it up and lightly twisted it through the hole by hand. Problem solved.

4. How's that Stag working out for you? I've got a Stag upper and am wondering if there's any big problems I need to be on the lookout for.

5. Freedom Forged

Freedom Forged Regular Member Network Supporter

Never had a real issue with it. Took some training last march where I shot 1200 rounds with no hiccup.

Sunshine_Shooter likes this.
  6. Glad to hear it.