"Tactical" Jeans

The Duluth Trading flex work pants and flex jeans are all I wear in the winter. They're tough, reasonably priced ($50 or so with frequent sales and free shipping offers), and have a no excuses lifetime warranty.

I made fun of my wife for wearing pajama jeans until I bought my first pair of flex jeans. Now I won't buy jeans that don't have some sort of mechanical stretch built in.

quasimojo

I'm wearing Duluthflex Fire Hose Cargo pants for work now and I'm a huge fan. I'll probably be checking out their jeans in the not too distant future.

I have a drawer full of Duluth accumulated over the last 3-4 years. They have pretty much replaced bluejeans in my casual ware inventory. They are more comfortable, flexible, tough, and stain resistant than any pair of jeans I have owned since the early 80's. I wear the heavier weight materials in fall/winter, and transition to the light weight Duluthflex in spring/summer. The extra pockets are always well utilized for EDC carry, the pocket flaps do a nice job of concealing knife/utility tool/flaslight clips and phone access is easy. I have practiced martial arts in those pants and can still manage a turn kick to a 6' mans head, something I wouldn't think to even try in a pair of Levis...

Most importantly to me I don't feel like I am funding a preachy anti firearm corporation that over charges for cheap materials, sub par stitching, and tight clingy fits (Levi Strauss). If only Duluth was made in the USA they would be perfect. But I can settle for near perfect...

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
2019 brings the release of the Tactical Distributors Legend Slim Fit jean. Ordered on Thanksgiving, arrived Saturday. Color is different, a little lighter, which I like. Not as much ran in the wash.

The fit. Slim fit it says. These are NOT skinny jeans. Not by any stretch. They are slim compared to the original Legend. A couple of the issues I mentioned in that review have been addressed. Not nearly as much room in the crotch as the previous pair, no leg to leg contact so that's about 90% improved. The cuffs are a good bit smaller. They don't flop around when walking. I laid the new pair directly over the old pair and you can see the difference. At least an inch was taken from the circumference of the thigh. Waist might even be a tech smaller but nothing drastic. The material does feel softer.

Front belt loops at 0100, left unchanged.

Good improvements and they are also a little cheaper than the originals. I'm happy with these.

AlphaJuliet

Amateur
https://shop.bluffworks.com/products/departure-travel-jeans-slim-fit

These have been my go-to for the last year or so. I have two pairs. First pair I ordered a size up (35x30, Regular Fit) because I wanted to maintain comfort while carrying concealed; I should have just bought them in my size due to stretch. They don't shrink, either. Extremely comfortable, highly mobile, they hold their color really well, and there are a lot of pockets. Second pair I ordered in my size (34x30, Slim Fit). Fits really well, but their slim fit is tightish even on my non-existent calves and 22.5" thighs. Can still carry comfortably in them, though.

They're heavily discounted right now because they're about to release a new jean-style pant with some changes to the pocket structure and more belt loops as well as other enhancements.

Just got a pair of the new LAPG jeans in today. I've only spend about 2 hours in them and have no other "tactical jeans" experience so take this for what it's worth. For 30 bucks, I'm fairly impressed. I purchased a pair of their dark wash straight fit jeans in my usual size, 30×32. They fit true to size and don't constrict the wobbly bits which is always a plus. I've yet to get into anything too wild so I can't speak on their durability yet. Like most jeans, there's a little bit of stretch, so appendix carry with a G22 is no problem. The pockets are roomy without tons of stuff congregating at the bottom. I'm also a fan of the hip pockets, which will hold pmags, tq's and smith cuffs without much printing. The usual coin pockets are replaced by fullsize slit pockets on both sides that will fit fullsize glock mags with enough hanging out for a decent reload.
They look decent and honestly just look like a normal pair of jeans which is nice when you work plainclothes at a college occasionally. I'll update in a month or so when I've put them through the wringer.

NEC_0170

Amateur
I don't understand the complaints regarding pocket size for the 5.11 Jeans - I can fully insert a Galaxy S8+ in the front pockets with room to spare. A fully loaded PMag 30 might be partially exposed but they are jeans - not cargo pants. My only complaint with the 5.11s is they bleed dye for several washes - wash them with other jeans or by themselves for several wash cycles. Dry on moderate/low heat to prolong the lycra and fabric flexibility. Other than that they are good to go for jeans - I like the rear hidden pockets for mags.

Helios

I just picked up the firehose cargo pants from duluth's, will shoot in them next and provide AAR.
I wasn't particularly impressed with mine. It only took 5 months to blow the crotch out of mine. The knees didn't fare very well either.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

jwr_patriot

Amateur
I am on my second pair of 5.11 slim defender jeans. I love them. Can’t wear anything without the flex waist anymore. First pair lasted over a year with damn near every single day wear. The only thing wrong with em is a small horizontal tear above the knee so now they’re my play jeans.

rrarring

I have recently jumped on the Duluth train and I am very impressed with the Duluthflex firehose 5 pocket pants. The pants have just enough stretch fabric for comfort without sacrificing durability. The stretch is nice for activity purposes but an ancillary benefit has been added comfort to AIWB carry. The sizes are fairly accurate. The pockets are slightly deeper than typical Levis. I appreciate the deeper pockets because I primarily keep my iPhone 10xr in my back pocket. When wearing Levis the phone has about 1/2" exposed above the pocket. The Duluth pockets cover the entire phone.

oda175

Best set Ive found so far were the TD “Stand Your Ground” Jean. Pretty sure they no longer make them - but the cut was much more relaxed-a straight type taper. Plenty of room in the crotch. I bought the”Legend” Jeans a few months back an bhad horrible color run and tight crotch to boot.
Pant design nowadays irritates the hell out of me. Specifically this tight pant craze- it bleeds over into every manufacturers cut. Now if I want to find something large enough to fit my legs, I get 4-6 extra inches in the waist; and my actual size is the most normal 32x32. Athletic cut is a mislabel for shaved bird body type. I am damn near positive a great mass of the population has never see the inside of a squat rack.

Enough rant - I have also found the Wrangler Comfort Flex at Walmart- $21 a set and are great fit- honestly for everyday wear cant beat them.

All the talk of Duluth has me already setting my sights on a trip to the Outlet.

Best set Ive found so far were the TD “Stand Your Ground” Jean. Pretty sure they no longer make them - but the cut was much more relaxed-a straight type taper. Plenty of room in the crotch. I bought the”Legend” Jeans a few months back an bhad horrible color run and tight crotch to boot.
Pant design nowadays irritates the hell out of me. Specifically this tight pant craze- it bleeds over into every manufacturers cut. Now if I want to find something large enough to fit my legs, I get 4-6 extra inches in the waist; and my actual size is the most normal 32x32. Athletic cut is a mislabel for shaved bird body type. I am damn near positive a great mass of the population has never see the inside of a squat rack.

Enough rant - I have also found the Wrangler Comfort Flex at Walmart- $21 a set and are great fit- honestly for everyday wear cant beat them.

All the talk of Duluth has me already setting my sights on a trip to the Outlet.

I have the same issue. Not only is it hard to find a proper waist size that also fits my thighs, but the circumference around my hips.

While not "tactical" I have found jeans that work: https://frandenim.com/collections/men Go for the Daniel, the Nates are a slim fit that's akin to wearing tights.

" I am damn near positive a great mass of the population has never see the inside of a squat rack." Judging from my time in the gym I concur - the dumbells and the cable machine seems to be most popular. Good thing for me - I don't usually have to wait to use the squat rack. :cool:

anubismp

I have some Condor ccw jeans. My issue is as explained above is the ridiculous skinny cut all of these seem to take on for some reason. Its good hipster camouflage I guess. I'd love them if the cut was more like a relaxed fit or straight leg carpenter jean. I like the mag pockets. I wrote LAPG and asked for them to add a wider leg cut on their version but I believe I got a stock response of "I'll send that up to our team". Maybe if more people wrote in?

I normally do carpenter jeans and find their accessory pockets are great for mags and dont scream gun like some of the more 5.11y stuff out there. Its like the great holster search I guess, search and buy search and buy.

Just got a pair of the new LAPG jeans in today. I've only spend about 2 hours in them and have no other "tactical jeans" experience so take this for what it's worth. For 30 bucks, I'm fairly impressed. I purchased a pair of their dark wash straight fit jeans in my usual size, 30×32. They fit true to size and don't constrict the wobbly bits which is always a plus. I've yet to get into anything too wild so I can't speak on their durability yet. Like most jeans, there's a little bit of stretch, so appendix carry with a G22 is no problem. The pockets are roomy without tons of stuff congregating at the bottom. I'm also a fan of the hip pockets, which will hold pmags, tq's and smith cuffs without much printing. The usual coin pockets are replaced by fullsize slit pockets on both sides that will fit fullsize glock mags with enough hanging out for a decent reload.
They look decent and honestly just look like a normal pair of jeans which is nice when you work plainclothes at a college occasionally. I'll update in a month or so when I've put them through the wringer.
I bought the LAPG jeans out of curiosity back when they first came out.

I've found that the dye wears rather quickly. After about 5 months of usage the bottom cuffs were almost white. I also can't put my finger on it but they just felt 'cheap'. The "pew pew" tag in the zipper area is also pretty corny. Even with the straight fit they rode more like skinny jeans and made it hard to carry my Ryker Afak without it looking extremely obvious.

Also after 5 months, I blew them out in the crotch playing outside with the kiddo kneeling down to pick up a frisbee. LAPG made it right by sending out a new pair no questions asked so kudos to them on the great CS.

For $30 they are a decent "tactical" Jean, however I think the 5.11 and Vertx options fair better in the durability, comfort and feel department but you're paying twice as much.

And honestly, I have yet to find anything as comfortable and durable as the Wrangler "flex" jeans. I have pairs going on 4-5 years old bought on Meijer clearance for $6 that are still going strong. I have yet to destroy a pair. Even for the $21 regular price tag, they're hard to beat.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
So about 16 months in, the Vertx Defiance jeans are developing holes in the seat near the gusset. I am not surprised because the gusset bunches. Not happy about this.

Vechter

I've been using Helikon-Tex greyman tactical jeans for about 6-8 months now and have been very pleased. Haven't had any issues with them what so ever but I would also add I have not had them long enough to get much wear and tear on them. I usually wear a 32x34 and these were dead on for me as far as fit. I like the pockets and their placement as they have two extra pockets on the rear and two extra smaller pockets on the front. The belt loops are also wider ( I think about 1 inch) allowing them to carry a belt far better then the standard skinny loops. The only issue I've had is the wife HATES the hook and loop closure as their is no button or snap, but I could care less.

dopro587

My go to jean has become the Carhartt Rugged Flex Relaxed Fit Dungaree Jean (Style 102808) for several reasons:

1. The material is light enough for summer wear and also has some stretch to it.
2. Deep, slash pockets which I prefer over the traditional jean style.
3. Tool pockets on both legs where I can carry my smart phone and a tourniquet.
4. No hammer loop, unlike most Carhartt dungarees.
5. The front belt loops are spaced nicely for AIWB carry (at least for me).
6. Leg opening is wide enough for an ankle holster or ankle IFAK.
7. Less than $50 per pair.
8. Looks like a normal pair of pants, because they are!