Tac Reloads - Downloaded Mags

Question: Anybody download mags to make tac reloads easier?

I know we're past the junk about downloading for mag/gun reliability, so this isn't that. I use PMags and have no concerns with them.

In trying it out, I compared fully loaded PMags to PMags with -2, and seating on a closed bolt is noticeably easier with -2. In other words, the incidence of the mag coming back out during push/pull was higher when full.

Am I wrong as can be and need to fix something, or is it to each their own? I saw it considered as an option in an AAR on here.

Considerations I see:
-If I get into the position that I need to speed reload the empty gun, I'll probably wish I had the two extra rounds sooner than later.
-If I'm in a position to do a tac reload, that probably means I have time to try again on a failed push/pull.

Thoughts?

Negative. The Pmag is a 30 round magazine and it was designed to operate with 30 rounds shoved down the throat. I have seen an individual shove 31 rounds into a Pmag which made it difficult (not impossible) to seat; he's Canadian and struggles with basic math. 28 rounds is noticeably easier to seat into the gun just as an empty mag is easiest to seat into the gun. Easy answer, I don't do it. But I know agencies and guys that run Pmags with 29 or 28 rounds. Hardware fix for a software issue. "Get to the gymnasium for Christ's sake."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe R.

I still load rifle mags to 28 rounds. Is it necessary with Pmags? Not so much, but not all our department (or for that matter my personal ) mags are Pmags.

Fatboy

Established
Do you download pistol mags to make tac reloads easier? If not, why?

Now apply that logic to any other weapon. If it has a detachable mag, it should be loaded to full capacity. That's what they were designed for. If the mag won't seat fully using the push/pull method, then either push harder or use a new technique.

Just my opinion, and also what I preach to my guys.