SW 380 EZ

Western

Amateur
Anyone got experience with this pistol? My girlfriend currently owns a .22 Ruger pistol and is interested in a more serviceable weapon for self-defense. She has a connective tissue disease called Ellers-Danlos Syndrome which makes it hard for her to manipulate or shoot a lot of 9mm handguns for any length of time. Especially in the winter months, her joints get really bad and there is no way she'd be able to use a 9mm pistol well if she had to manipulate the slide.

I think her main options are either this auto or a revolver. However, her finger strength is not great so I think the DA pull on a revolver might be an issue. She also doesn't really want a revolver for some reason, so I think this gun might be a good fit.

Is this gun as easy to manipulate as its advertising claims it to be? I've found a lot of small semi autos are actually really difficult to work the slide compared to a full-size. How do people feel about the .380 compared to .38 special as a defensive round? How much does this gun recoil compared to something like a Colt Cobra or SW J frame?

Western

Amateur
The EZ is surprisingly easy to manipulate- it is a combination of better sizing and appropriate spring weight for size/weight/caliber.
Thanks! Easy manipulation is very important for her. I hope she and I can go to a range together and try out the 380 EZ and some other options.

NEC_0170

Amateur
Got one for my wife - she is developing arthritis and has been really struggling with the Ruger LCP that I purchased for her. She loves the EZ - she can manipulate it better and was more accurate right out of the box.

Western

Amateur
I found one at a gun store this past weekend. Holy hell they weren't kidding with the EZ name. Manipulating the slide is as easy as a .22, and might even be easier than some. It's hard to overstate just how little strength it takes to move the slide. Other than the easy controls, seems pretty similar to a M&P Shield in most other respects.

My girlfriend will be in town this coming weekend and I'll update with what she thinks of it. I haven't shot with her before (her .22 is at her home in Florida) so my current plan is to handle some different types of guns with her, and then go shoot the ones she likes more.