Surefire's political donations

user12358

Why not post the data directly instead of 6 pages of ARFCOM going off about how they still aren't going to buy Surefire because their O-Light is even better?

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?cycle=2018&strID=C00464768

They gave more money to R's than D's. This constant outrage and call for boycott is getting exhausting and infeasible.

We all know the whole Team Wendy debacle. Go look up how much L3 gave to Dem's. Gentex has given some D money as well to my knowledge. Obviously it would be more ideologically pure if none of these companies deviated from a chest thumping 2A stance but we don't live in a black and white world.

I won't speak for anyone else but I'm personally not going to step out into the night without an Ops-Core Maritime or SF cut that has Team Wendy pads, a M300V, some filmless WP L3 tubes mounted to it to go along with my EoTech and M600DF mounted to my rifle. At the end of the day it is the best kit for the task and I care more about that than what politicians they have greased, especially when most California Republicans are just as happy to sell your gun rights down the river.

A Norwegian

Why not post the data directly instead of 6 pages of ARFCOM going off about how they still aren't going to buy Surefire because their O-Light is even better?

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?cycle=2018&strID=C00464768

They gave more money to R's than D's. This constant outrage and call for boycott is getting exhausting and infeasible.

We all know the whole Team Wendy debacle. Go look up how much L3 gave to Dem's. Gentex has given some D money as well to my knowledge. Obviously it would be more ideologically pure if none of these companies deviated from a chest thumping 2A stance but we don't live in a black and white world.

I won't speak for anyone else but I'm personally not going to step out into the night without an Ops-Core Maritime or SF cut that has Team Wendy pads, a M300V, some filmless WP L3 tubes mounted to it to go along with my EoTech and M600DF mounted to my rifle. At the end of the day it is the best kit for the task and I care more about that than what politicians they have greased, especially when most California Republicans are just as happy to sell your gun rights down the river.
I was just sharing a thing I saw. I didn't even comment on it.

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
To sort of echo what's already been said I'm not going to be so principled that I refuse to use the best tool available. It's cognitively dissonant to pretend to be that principled anyway. People are going to scream about boycotting companies that might not perfectly align with their political views on a device that was probably made by someone making slaves wages. If you want to actually be that principled you'll probably have to step back a century or two and just live with what you can source and build. I'd prefer if my companies didn't give money to causes I don't support, but ultimately their contributions are just pissing in the ocean, I don't see cause to try and ruin the company over it.

A Norwegian

Care to share why you find the link you shared valuable and worthy of posting?
Because in the chat people have been talking about Benchmade and their donation history, I saw this and it seemed like something people would be interested in seeing.

A Norwegian

Also, to be clear I will continue to use both surefire and streamlight, as I find them both quality tools and I think it would be a really stupid move for a company that makes primarily weapon lights. In addition, to anybody getting hyper sensitive to the fact that I posted something about a company, please relax, I didn't call your mom fat.

user12358

In addition, to anybody getting hyper sensitive to the fact that I posted something about a company, please relax, I didn't call your mom fat.

Nobody cares that it is about Surefire or Benchmade or whatever your favorite company might be. The problem is we do this for every stupid donation every few months where someone discovers that political donations are public records. You can't buy anything from any reasonably sized company with applying this ridiculous moral purity test. Should we just stop buying from companies that even employ Democrats?

Apparently by this thread people are just tired of this pearl clutching by every idealistic moron who doesn't understand how the world works. To be perfectly clear, you can't get a night vision tube without supporting a company that has donated to Democrats. Every large defense contractor has donated to both sides of the aisle because both sides of the aisle have seats on appropriations committees. This isn't new and has be talked about for the better part of a century now.

I hate to squash such a great debate but I have found the answer. Extended grip, the lowest bore axis you can get, 1-candle(a?) tac light... Unfortunately this does not have an exact date but is thought to have come about in the early 1800s and might predate the Democratic Party, which would alleviate everyone's political guilt. Still waiting to hear back from Safariland on ALS/SLS options, fingers crossed...

1550867884931.png

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
*Sigh*

Witch hunts at their finest. You search hard enough, you'll find a money trail anywhere. Unless someones got specifics on exactly whos campaigns the cash went to, who's to say it wasnt to support pro-gun/knife/ect dems and repubs

Thats about all the energy I'm going to waste on all this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A Norwegian

[QUO
Nobody cares that it is about Surefire or Benchmade or whatever your favorite company might be. The problem is we do this for every stupid donation every few months where someone discovers that political donations are public records. You can't buy anything from any reasonably sized company with applying this ridiculous moral purity test. Should we just stop buying from companies that even employ Democrats?

Apparently by this thread people are just tired of this pearl clutching by every idealistic moron who doesn't understand how the world works. To be perfectly clear, you can't get a night vision tube without supporting a company that has donated to Democrats. Every large defense contractor has donated to both sides of the aisle because both sides of the aisle have seats on appropriations committees. This isn't new and has be talked about for the better part of a century now.
All fair points, and I didn't intend to ruffle feathers, I didn't understand that this was an issue laden with tension here. I also feel the my position on the matter is misunderstood. I just saw this as a parallel topic to other things being discussed and wanted to hear people weigh in.

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
I hate to burst our little bubble but the US Gov contracts earned SF more money than all of us put together. As a result of that important fact they butter their bread on both sides. It’s just a good business practice. How funny that all the other Defence suppliers mentioned above do the same thing. It’s almost like they like profit and steady long term income or something. Crazy talk right?

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
Yeah absolutely a crazy idea .

Virtue signalling about where companies donate to and how we're really gonna git em by not shopping with them and their products. Lol, better stop shopping at alot of places, cause they all do it.

I heart the interwebz

I'm told that it's not uncommon for business PACs to donate to both sides of a campaign. It's a hedge so you can buy influence with whoever wins.

I was told that by someone who was running a congressional campaign I was volunteering for at the time.

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
^ Yeap. Aside from the fact that, yes, there are pro gun people on the left (shocked face). And people forget that. Fund those who will support your business and/or rights that have the letter more likely to get the W at the polls. Its a shitty game, but a game none the less.

If that makes sense.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
You know who benefits from this whole thing? The anti gun people. They’re just sitting back watching us tear each other apart about a company’s donations. The politics of business are entirely different from the politics of the individual.