Surefire DS suddenly unreliable

shoobe01

Established
As part of a somewhat older, medium-used, complete SF light. Not sure what it was called originally but a KM-3 head, the 6v body with the studs to attach to the QD pic mount, and a DS tailcap.

Battery was unexpectedly dead last week when I pulled it out. Then a few days ago with fresh batteries, I come down to the shop where the gun is laying waiting for some work, and it's dimly flickering on.

The pushbutton switch, on playing with it, is generally irregular. Doesn't just press-on then click to stay, but sometimes is dimly or flickering on before the click.

Does not SEEM to have any issues with partial activation or uncommanded activtion with the remote tape.

Anyway: expensive item to replace alone and without old receipts, etc. I assume no warranty. Is there any trick of cleaning, maintenance, etc I can do to this switch or just 1) suffer, or 2) replace?

jnc36rcpd

Check with Surefire. They didn't ask for receipts for any of the products I've sent back to them. I will note that the trunaround time for repairs can be a few weeks. The website mentions that they may replace out-of-production products with newer inventory so I doubt the age of your light will be an issue.

dcsp3x

I have had 2 Surefire LED's break/blow in handheld lights recently during normal use at work. They didn't ask for anything other than a return address during the warranty request. That being said, the first time the light broke it took almost 4 months to get it back and the second one is sitting there for almost a month now, less than thrilled with the actual warranty timeline and their CS is zero help with ETAs or a unit swap.

shoobe01

Established
So... never asked for receipts etc but had me run a bunch of tests and now agrees it's broken so:

If its just the click button that may be going bad then a new tail cap can be purchased here ( XM00 - SureFire )

I hope this helps .

I guess I'll buy a new tailcap.

Anything better (or cheaper withour resorting to eBay random chinese imports!) than the SF brand DS tailcap? The various compatibility /entirely/ baffles me so help on specific models is appreciated.

Do not desperately need direct pushbutton if that helps, do want remote. Have the spare plug in of whatever we call the SF standard, also have a few spare Crane plug cables around here if that is an option. If that's a dumb question: yes, exactly. Help :)