suppressor sights with RDS, blacked out vs night

jmoney

Sending all my different parts off to complete a roland special build and I keep going back and forth on whether or not to use blacked out sights, night sights, or blacked out rear with night front.

Does anyone have any input on their experiences and why they chose one over the other in the end.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Blacked out. Especially if you’re going to have a weapon mounted light. It also eliminated any possible confusion between the dot and the front sight (may or may not be a thing for you).

jmoney

That was my concern. I do not like anything distracted my eyes from the dot, and it of course will have a light. I just wanted to see if anyone had a strong argument for pushing through the annoyance due to a benefit I may have overlooked. This will be my primary carry, concealed carry, and nightstand gun.

nightchief

Fighter of the Daychief
I like the blacked out sights. I actually re-discovered that I prefer black sights to sights with dots/tritium, etc.

jmoney

Exactly what I suspected. Just wanted to be sure I was not overlooking anything. I have been using blacked out rear red fiber optic front for years now and have never wanted to return to night sights.

Thanks for the input.

jBravo3

KISS. Definitely solid black. No contest. Other setups are just too visually distracting for me, especially in the dark with tritium. I want to see one dot, not four. I'm not entirely sure why the RDS + fiber optic or tritium is even a thing. My agency issues patrol rifles with Eotechs + tritium front post and I find that pretty annoying too. My first thought when I first picked up a 509 Tactical was " That's almost perfect - why the heck did they not make this standard with blacked out sights?" Maybe it works for somebody out there. Not me.

Gypsy EDC

Another vote for blacked out front and rear.

I've tried running FO and tritium fronts with blacked rears and find them both to be distracting.

Yondering

Tritium for me, at least front but front/rear is fine too. I've never understood why some guys find a green tritium sight and a red dot confusing, but that's just me.

Having at least a tritium front makes it easier to pick up the dot in the dark.

BennyAdeline

Amateur
Tritium for me, at least front but front/rear is fine too. I've never understood why some guys find a green tritium sight and a red dot confusing, but that's just me.

Having at least a tritium front makes it easier to pick up the dot in the dark.

Totally understandable. It’s very much a personal preference...I don’t theink there is a “right” answer.

For me, I can usually find the dot by proper indexing, but even in the lowest light I can use the irons to find the dot if needed. In total darkness, I’d need the WML on anyways to identify the target, so I could see the sights to find the dot if needed.

My biggest advice is to get enough reps in that you can draw with your eyes closed, index the pistol, open your eyes, and see the dot.

Chinny

Not Chubby
I have blacked out sights on mine, but I did get to play around with a buddy's rmr'd M&P that had night sights. Completely forgot they were there, I think once you practice with the dot enough anything else melts away. I'd still keep it simple, but I did find it to be less distracting than I thought it would be.

Yondering

I have blacked out sights on mine, but I did get to play around with a buddy's rmr'd M&P that had night sights. Completely forgot they were there, I think once you practice with the dot enough anything else melts away. I'd still keep it simple, but I did find it to be less distracting than I thought it would be.

I don't even see the night sights unless I'm looking for them, but when I want them, they're nice to have. Same deal for using black irons during the day; most of the time it's like they're not even there.