Suggestions Books to learn field sketching

shoobe01

Established
Never seen anyone who can draw only one way like for this, but not otherwise. So, go learn to generally draw stuff, then you can apply what you need to the job. Pretty quickly also; you don't need to take 4 years off to get an art degree but you have to understand some basic building blocks like how to use line weights, how to see in blocks and guesstimate at scales etc, then how perspective works, and so on. I think everyone should learn this as it applies not just to communicating ideas but seeing the world differently; you will observe better, terrain associate better, etc.

There are other intro books, they may work, but only one I can suggest from experience back in the old old days is the FIRST edition of this:
41GGePSfNbL._SY380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Do not be confused, they made later editions which are totally different and are generally loathed. If it has this cover it is GTG. Look for local used book stores or ask me to ask where the wife gets her used books (for the kids). Amazon used prices aren't great, at least on this.

Better yet or if that's not doing it for you: go find a drawing class. Community college first year art class stuff, etc. Should be night versions, or similar. Do indeed do the intro to drawing type stuff, not a painting for fun stuff for profit class as they aren't (usually) so interested in you getting better, much more encouraging than educational.