Striker Control Device for non-Glock Pistols?

proamateur

I think the Tau Development Group’s Striker Control Device is a really awesome product. I carry a CZ P07 and would like the same level of safety when reholstering on a striker fired gun. With the popularity of other pistols (FN 509, CZ P10 series, M&Ps), I wonder why there is only an SCD for Glock. I would appreciate being able to pick any of the above and have the ability to install a “Gadget”. I faintly recall someone saying in passing that the designs of the other pistols may not facilitate the same type of mechanism, but I have no clue where I saw it (maybe Jeff Bloovman’s overview?). I looked around the forum and google and found no answers. If anyone has any insight into that, it would be appreciated. I thought I would ask here before emailing Tau Development Group in case they have to answer the same question all the time. Thank you.

Caomhin

I think the Tau Development Group’s Striker Control Device is a really awesome product. I carry a CZ P07 and would like the same level of safety when reholstering on a striker fired gun. With the popularity of other pistols (FN 509, CZ P10 series, M&Ps), I wonder why there is only an SCD for Glock. I would appreciate being able to pick any of the above and have the ability to install a “Gadget”. I faintly recall someone saying in passing that the designs of the other pistols may not facilitate the same type of mechanism, but I have no clue where I saw it (maybe Jeff Bloovman’s overview?). I looked around the forum and google and found no answers. If anyone has any insight into that, it would be appreciated. I thought I would ask here before emailing Tau Development Group in case they have to answer the same question all the time. Thank you.

You’re preaching to the choir, bro!

I’ve been asking him to make one for the exact... same... thing.

Unfortunately, I do not think they are interested.

I’d LOVE to have one in the P-10C!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The reason the SCD works the way it does on Glocks is because a Glock striker is only partially cocked when the trigger is at rest. Pulling the trigger draws the striker back to the fully cocked position before releasing it. The SCD utilizes this additional rearward movement of the striker to function, turning the movement of the trigger and striker into a tactile sensory feedback for the shooter when their thumb is resting on the back of the slide.

Many other striker-fired pistols utilize a fully cocked striker system, meaning there’s no additional movement of the striker between the trigger being at rest and pulling it all the way to the break, so there’s nothing that would be able to activate the hinged backplate like on the Gadget. If you were to use the same construction, it would at best be a striker status indicator (like on the XD line of pistols)

Caomhin

The reason the SCD works the way it does on Glocks is because a Glock striker is only partially cocked when the trigger is at rest. Pulling the trigger draws the striker back to the fully cocked position before releasing it. The SCD utilizes this additional rearward movement of the striker to function, turning the movement of the trigger and striker into a tactile sensory feedback for the shooter when their thumb is resting on the back of the slide.

Many other striker-fired pistols utilize a fully cocked striker system, meaning there’s no additional movement of the striker between the trigger being at rest and pulling it all the way to the break, so there’s nothing that would be able to activate the hinged backplate like on the Gadget. If you were to use the same construction, it would at best be a striker status indicator (like on the XD line of pistols)

The P-10C and FN are just like the Glock. They are both only partially cocked Striker pistols.

The VP9 and Walther PPQ pistols are truly single action Striker-fired pistols.

I believe it’s a question of cost & resources versus demand for other pistols. I’ve been asking for over a year and a half over on Pistol-Forum for a P-10C “Gadget” as well as a 509 “Gadget” as those two pistols are phenomenal in their own right.

Barry B

I really, in theory, like this idea a lot. One more layer of protection when re-holstering, if you develop the right habit. That said, I have no reason to think it is something that could/would cause a malfunction, I’m still concerned that it might? So, really not trusting adding it to the mostly stock guns I carry. YMMV...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The P-10C and FN are just like the Glock. They are both only partially cocked Striker pistols.

The VP9 and Walther PPQ pistols are truly single action Striker-fired pistols.

I believe it’s a question of cost & resources versus demand for other pistols. I’ve been asking for over a year and a half over on Pistol-Forum for a P-10C “Gadget” as well as a 509 “Gadget” as those two pistols are phenomenal in their own right.

Absolutely, Glocks aren’t the only striker-fired guns that utilize a half-cocked striker mechanism which is why I qualified my statement with “many” rather than “all”.

As far as developing a SCD for the other platforms that do utilize a half-cocked striker mechanism, it probably just comes down to demand. If enough people keep asking for support of a specific platform, they’re more likely to make one. Never be afraid to pester manufacturers about products you want - You never know when your voice might be the tipping point to convince a manufacturer to develop the product you want

Last edited:
I just emailed Tom over at Tau and he just got back to me. Here's his words:

"In general, if it’s possible to create a safe, reliable, robust, and affordable drop-in Striker Control Device, with an adequate margin of safety, for a gun with a meaningful market share we will do it.

While all striker fired designs are capable of having SCD-like functionality, some designs (like those with partially tensioned strikers – Glock, S&W SD9/40, CZ P-10, Walther PPS, etc.) are more amenable to an aftermarket drop-in device than others (like those with fully tensioned strikers — S&W M&P, HK VP9, Sig P320 & P365, Walther PPQ, etc.).

I have SCD designs for the M&P, P320, and P365 pistols, but due to being fully tensioned striker designs they are not compatible with a simple drop-in Glock-style device and would require various levels of modification (some to the slide, others to the frame) they would likely prove cost prohibitive and I’m still not sure any of them would provide an adequate margin of safety or satisfactory user experience — so it’s not terribly likely they will be produced any time soon.

A SCD for the S&W SD series -- which can use a device almost identical to the Glock version, just with slightly different dimensions -- is possible, but it's uncertain if it could be produced at a price point that would be agreeable to people who buy a "budget" pistol such as the SD.

There's a chance for a CZ P-10 SCD, but with a simple Glock-style SCD the angled rear face of the striker/firing pin causes problems (it's like a wheel chock and changes the force vector due to striker movement from straight to the rear to towards the hinge pin which causes the pivoting portion of the SCD to bind and not just freely swing out of the way). I can probably find a way to work around it and may eventually release an SCD for the P-10, but it's not coming anytime soon.

In a nutshell, development is ongoing, but we have no support for any additional guns to announce at this time.

— Tom"