Streamlight HL 5-X

Simms65

Shenanigans!
Staff member
Administrator
I have the HL4x and it's a total beast of a light. It will legit light up the entire outside of a structure. It will light up an entire field at 100 yds. I'm very pleased with mine. Beam pattern on mine is a mix of flood and throw. It does not have a narrow beam.

If that performance is carried over with more lumens it will be a badass light.

PM07

Staff member
I've had mine about 3 weeks. Background, I am a patrol Sgt. who works nights. This light is very bright. I could go for tighter throw vs. the bigger spill but it is workable. Not a fan of the Hi-strobe-low. Wish I could program it Hi-low only. Using Streamlights USB 18650's , I got almost 3 weeks use off of the initial charge. I have some Panasonic 18650s coming tomorrow that I am going to play with. Biggest con , for me, is no tail cap switch. I used to having both side and end switches so it takes a little getting used to. We will see how it works long term. My Chief and Patrol Commander were impressed enough with it that I had to write up a flashlight proposal for getting these as issued lights.

Ed7

I've had mine for a little while as well. I agree with the last review... orher than I don't mind the throw/spill ratio. I think it's just about right. 3500 lumens is a lot of light. I've been using Panasonic 18650's only. I haven't tried 123's or other rechargeablea. I also wish there were other programming options. I have it set now on low/med/high, but I wish there was a high/low setting. Tailcap clicky would be nice as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boy Scout

Ask and ye shall receive... I'm looking for a new "big light" to replace my old Streamlight Superstinger and came across this thing. Any further updates on it?

Loving mine. It is really really bright. My only complaints, which are minor, is I wish it had more throw, I wish the body was aluminum instead of the grippy rubber, and I wish it had a tailcap switch in addition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy Scout

So, I picked one up the other day, ordered as the USB-rechargeable version from a seller on EBay (I had a $15 off coupon) and got shafted on the order. The seller sent me the 4-CR123 version. Still hella bright! I’m with Swartz, wish it had more throw and a solid beam, rather than the larger spill effect, but dayyum, is it bright. I have the correct batteries on order, so I should get the full 3500 lumens out of it after getting those installed. I personally like the rubber coating and lack of a tail switch, it’s my “big light” so that’s how I use it anyway.

Ben H

For those that have been using the ProTac HL 5-X ... Is it still running strong? Do you all still like it after a few months of use?

Ed7

I've had 2 and have been using them pretty much since they were released. I have used Panasonic, SF, and Streamlight batteries with no issues. I still like them. In a perfect world, I would like to have slightly different programming options or maybe a gas pedal type switch. Overall, it is a great light. No flickering or weird problems. For the output, I think the batteries have good life. I haven't abused them too much, other than dropping them a couple times. No issues.

I did get hassled by TSA trying to bring one through security. They said there was a part inside that was showing as "organic." I thought I was going to get probed.

Boy Scout

I love mine, it does all the things I want my big light to do. Super-high power output when I need it, low-power output when needed for task lighting. That said, 3500 lumens is a LOT of juice and can blow out your night vision indoors. Also, when using it for K9 tracks in a very dark environment, going back and forth between the light and dark was rough. I think maybe 3500 lumens might be TOO much for that application. For a search light with some ambient light, it really cuts through the shadows.

I’d like more throw rather than spill, but it works. And the strobe function really gets people’s attention!

PM07

Staff member
Ben,
Still going strong. So much that the Agency bought them for issue to patrol along with Pano 18650s and Nitecore charger.

PM07

Staff member
Sorry tried to edit.

They have been our issue light for probably 6 months now. I'm a night shift supervisor, we work 12 hour shifts and I charge mine every 2 weeks. It get used a lot during traffic stops, as a hand held spot light checking buildings etc. Everyone is happy with them so far. A little hack, the Magcharger traffic cone will fit on the HL5-X

JCSpringer

I've posted about the light on the facebag posts. I've had my light for a year now. It has been great. I miss the tail button like the stinger... But that is really just a technique issue to get over. I cut the rubber sleeve off of mine to fit it into the open top flashlight holster my stinger strion used to fit. I did leave about .25" of the rubber to 'seal' the light into the holster. By leaving that much of the sleeve it really makes for a proper retention aide.

Grizzly

Sorry tried to edit.

They have been our issue light for probably 6 months now. I'm a night shift supervisor, we work 12 hour shifts and I charge mine every 2 weeks. It get used a lot during traffic stops, as a hand held spot light checking buildings etc. Everyone is happy with them so far. A little hack, the Magcharger traffic cone will fit on the HL5-X
I used this tip the other day. 3500 lumens of orange glowing goodness is pretty impressive for getting attention!

Tony0083

I've had mine about 3 weeks. Background, I am a patrol Sgt. who works nights. This light is very bright. I could go for tighter throw vs. the bigger spill but it is workable. Not a fan of the Hi-strobe-low. Wish I could program it Hi-low only. Using Streamlights USB 18650's , I got almost 3 weeks use off of the initial charge. I have some Panasonic 18650s coming tomorrow that I am going to play with. Biggest con , for me, is no tail cap switch. I used to having both side and end switches so it takes a little getting used to. We will see how it works long term. My Chief and Patrol Commander were impressed enough with it that I had to write up a flashlight proposal for getting these as issued lights.

What holster are you using??

PM07

Staff member
Back or side pocket. No room on a belt for a holster for this thing.