STI Staccato, over-inserting magazines

acpjunkie

Wandered over here from the Facebook side.

Currently own a Staccato Duo rig, shoots great, no pistol or ammo related issues in about 700-800 rounds now. Silly accurate and very easy to shoot well.

However, I am having some issues where I lock the gun up during reloads. This only happens during slide lock reloads and it appears that I over-insert the magazine. This creates a situation where the slide stop can not release the slide and an over hand sling shot doesnt work either. I have to physically pull the magazine back out to allow the slide to go forward.

It could very well be that I'm overly enthusiatic in my reloads and I need to be gentler about putting the mag home. However, if its a hardware issue I'd like to get it fixed.

This is will STI Gen 2 magazines btw.

Buck8154

STI
Vendor
Happens from 2 things...! keeping your thumb on the mag release when inserting the mag, 2. slamming the mag so hard that it bypasses the mag release. The second happens with almost any mag that is longer than the grip. We are developing a new basepad that times to the bottom of the grip which will prevent that from happening with the 21 rd mags.

willG

I just received my Staccato P DUO (2020 version) last week and I'm having the same issue which is extremely annoying. It definitely feels like something is wrong when you re-grip the gun from a reload and you can feel the mag release pushed out (right side) because the mag is not seated in its place because it's over inserted. i called STI and spoke to one of their gunsmiths, Ricky, and he told me that the gun does do that and there is no fix. He did say that they are in the process of creating a filler/pad to go between the magwell and the magazine base plate to prevent over inserting the mag. Overall great gun with the exception of this issue.

I got a P DUO 3 weeks ago with the new base pads Buck is talking about. I can attest, they prevent you from over-insertion of the 21rnd mags. I had to get rid of them, unfortunately because they are not compatible with the Gen2 grip Dawson magwells or the 2019 slim tactical magwells that came standard. I really don't want some mags for the 2019 guns and some mags for the 2020 Gen2 grip guns.

Over a decade ago I used to use those 10rnd 45 ACP mags in my single stack, During those days I created a habit of not being too violent with my reloads, since you could easily over-insert and lock the gun up and damage the ejector.

JLL2013

You should be able to replace the base pads rather than ditch the whole magazine.

I got a P DUO 3 weeks ago with the new base pads Buck is talking about. I can attest, they prevent you from over-insertion of the 21rnd mags. I had to get rid of them, unfortunately because they are not compatible with the Gen2 grip Dawson magwells or the 2019 slim tactical magwells that came standard. I really don't want some mags for the 2019 guns and some mags for the 2020 Gen2 grip guns.

Over a decade ago I used to use those 10rnd 45 ACP mags in my single stack, During those days I created a habit of not being too violent with my reloads, since you could easily over-insert and lock the gun up and damage the ejector.

You are spot on brother. I got both tool packages from 10-8 a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the advice you gave me on the 2011 platform back in JAN. I couldn't go with a Chambers WMG at the time b/c I felt like I needed two guns. Going with STI I can have a DUO 4.4 and a DUO 4.14 as a backup.

You were right in the mechanical advantage and the benefits of a RDS. I was a 80s shooter w my G17 and G19 w/ irons. Instantly I was in the high 90s w a DUO.