STI 2011 Thread

Can anyone help me diagnose my Staccato P Duo? Specifically, I'm having a lot of FTE's with the occasional double feed. I've having these issues with or without a RMR mounted. The pistol is at 852 rounds now and it's getting worse, not better.

Specifically, I'm wanting to know if your extractor keeps a case flat against the breech face on a working model? Mine has a lot of play and the case can move out far enough to see daylight between the case head and the breech face. (see attached photo).

Things I've done:
  • Clean 5 times, trying two different lubes. ALG Purple Juice and Slip 2000
  • Ordered 2 new magazines to rule my magazines out.
  • Tried the following ammo: Speer Lawman 147gr, S&B 115gr, Speer Gold Dots both 124gr and 147gr.
  • Increased and decreased extractor tension while at the range trying different tensions, but receiving a malfunction on all of them.
  • Opened a warranty case with STI. After 4 days of no response, I called them and was told I'd be called back in a few minutes. That never happened. I'll follow up with them again Monday, but maybe there's something that's easy here that I don't know about in my ignorance.

The accuracy and performance of this handgun seems amazing, but it's gotta be reliable for me to keep it. Any ideas? I'm not a 1911 guy, so I'm out of ideas here.

take it to a gunsmith who can tinker around with it or follow up with the manufacturer..STI rep is on this site maybe he can help..

YetiSam

Amateur
take it to a gunsmith who can tinker around with it or follow up with the manufacturer..STI rep is on this site maybe he can help..

Followed up twice more with the manufacturer. They take my call, tell me I'll be called back and then don't. Basically I have a $2500 paperweight that can't get through 2 magazines without a malfunction.

A gunsmith might be the answer (although it shouldn't have to be since this thing supposedly has a lifetime warranty), although I've ordered an Aftec extractor and a new ejector, so I guess I'll at least try those before taking it somewhere. I tried a new STI extractor, but it only made it slightly better.

Followed up twice more with the manufacturer. They take my call, tell me I'll be called back and then don't. Basically I have a $2500 paperweight that can't get through 2 magazines without a malfunction.

A gunsmith might be the answer (although it shouldn't have to be since this thing supposedly has a lifetime warranty), although I've ordered an Aftec extractor and a new ejector, so I guess I'll at least try those before taking it somewhere. I tried a new STI extractor, but it only made it slightly better.

Yea i dont think STI is on the up n up about after purchase customer service definitely have heard some complaints..you might be on your own in that regard and getting warranty work done would likely take a very long time for them to even fix the issue..a gunsmith be your best immdediate bet..id just sell it if it can be fixed and buy a triarc personally..i can verify first hand their customer service, very reliable and on point

tobinw1

New to the forum. Lots of helpful info. Thank you, all. I’ve been eyeing a Staccato P DUO for some time. I found a very lightly used Scaccato P at my lgs and a.) it was a great deal and b.) the DUO models seem to be unobtanium atm so I went for it with the thought I could have the slide milled. I see the chambers plate is an aftermarket option but I’m curious if STI would perform the DUO cut as a custom shop job and/or it Dawson sells the Universal Optic plate a la carte. Thank you in advance for any info!

YetiSam

Amateur
New to the forum. Lots of helpful info. Thank you, all. I’ve been eyeing a Staccato P DUO for some time. I found a very lightly used Scaccato P at my lgs and a.) it was a great deal and b.) the DUO models seem to be unobtanium atm so I went for it with the thought I could have the slide milled. I see the chambers plate is an aftermarket option but I’m curious if STI would perform the DUO cut as a custom shop job and/or it Dawson sells the Universal Optic plate a la carte. Thank you in advance for any info!

I've seen where people recommend Primary Machine and Nighthawk to do it. No direct experience yet, although Primary Machine has done several of my HK pistols in a superb manner. I now have a regular Staccato P, but not going to cut it until my Duo is back and confirmed working.

JLL2013

What optic do you intend to use?

Erik

Amateur
My personal take on the STI, especially the previously stated statement that the STI can do what a Glock can do but at a higher cost. I would have to strongly disagree with the statement, granted my only experience with STI is with my personal DVC Carry, the firearm is far more accurate than my standard Glocks. I would put the DVC Carry more on par with my Ernest Langdon customized LTT and M9A3. The DVC Carry has a light crisp trigger pull with zero mush or takeup. The reliability has been 100% with about 500 rounds through the pistol without a cleaning. The one and only issue I have encountered is the slide does not lock back on the last round fired, this started at about 400 rounds. I am not sure what is causing the slide lock to not engage, but I have a feeling it has something to do with the lack of cleaning.

tobinw1

What optic do you intend to use?
I already own a DPP so that is the plan although as of late I’ve been considering an SRO, hence my interest in the factory cut as it can accommodate the DPP w/o a plate but includes the plate if I ever change to an optic with the RMR footprint (ie RMR, SRO, 407c or 508T).

JLL2013

Currently there's no Chambers Custom plate for the DPP and I'm not tracking any plans to make one. Seems like the DUO cut/system fits your needs best.

I already own a DPP so that is the plan although as of late I’ve been considering an SRO, hence my interest in the factory cut as it can accommodate the DPP w/o a plate but includes the plate if I ever change to an optic with the RMR footprint (ie RMR, SRO, 407c or 508T).

tobinw1

Currently there's no Chambers Custom plate for the DPP and I'm not tracking any plans to make one. Seems like the DUO cut/system fits your needs best.
Are you aware if the DUO cut / system is something STI will perform as a custom shop order on a standard Staccato P? Can’t seem to find any info online.

chrisp2493

Amateur

Check out Atlas Gun a world YouTube page. He posts a ton of informative info on issues, causes and fixes on the 1911/2011 platform. It could possibly be a mag tuning issue, it doesn’t look like the STI Gen 2 mags are as bulletproof as STI wants you to believe. Going through Atlas Gunworks mag tuning videos I can see the two brand new STI mags I have are slightly out of spec

YetiSam

Amateur
After Buck put me in contact with a warranty person, I finally got my RMA process started. The warranty dude claimed some of their warranty requests were getting dropped by their computer system. I kinda rolled my eyes about it when I heard that (it seemed so cliche), but I think after dealing with their warranty department it was true. They were incredibly responsive and thorough through this process once it was actually started.

After receiving a pre-paid shipping label, the pistol was sent back to STI. One day after it arrived, I received an e-mail from one of their warranty people that had pictures and videos as well as some ideas. We exchanged a couple e-mails and a phone call. I received video of my pistol functioning properly with my chosen carry ammo, which I felt was a nice touch.

Pretty stoked about that, I received an e-mail with shipping information the next morning. He also noticed some wear on my safety where I wasn't pinning it down properly and my knuckle was pushing it up some to rub on the slide (which embarrassingly was probably causing a lot of my issues). I'm new to the 2011 platform and have never really messed with 1911's, so he also gave me the names of some platform specific trainers to help with that transition.

Pistol showed up 2 days after and I finally got to the range this morning. 300 rounds later with zero issues I'm feeling pretty dang good about it. So, while the initial out the gate part of the process might have been frustrating, I definitely feel STI took care of me in an outstanding way and I'll continue to give them my business.