Steiner P4Xi drop damage

Keith03

Internet wide, I have not been able to find any durability reports of the Steiner P4Xi, but I probably stopped looking after I got one. I think I have had mine for around two years, but I am not sure.
I loaned out my rifle. My friend took the scope off and dropped it. That is the only drop I know of in the scope’s history. This dented the diopter ring, and caved in the elevation turret cap. When trying to remove the turret cap, I could hear and feel the elevation turret adjusting. It also took more force than usual. When I removed the turret cap, it was clear that the inside of he cap contacted the turret it’s self. There are marks on the inside of the cap, and the screw in top of the turret.

Due to a number of different types of ammo used, and time span, I cannot state with confidence if the zero shifted or not. I think it shifted up 1.5 Moa but I’m not what ammo I zeroed with before it was dropped.

I am not bashing the optic. Ill keep it. I still think it’s punching way above its price class. But I do want to make this info available to others. I also submitted a warranty claim to Steiner.

E87F6DBD-B290-4FF9-8A43-CEE8D8696AA6.jpegCFB2FC5F-55E7-44F6-864C-FCED494195CB.jpeg4584CEDE-4C66-4834-ADEA-DBB3FAD382CD.jpegC6560C2C-3166-479B-926C-1B917324E8F9.jpegE87F6DBD-B290-4FF9-8A43-CEE8D8696AA6.jpegCFB2FC5F-55E7-44F6-864C-FCED494195CB.jpeg4584CEDE-4C66-4834-ADEA-DBB3FAD382CD.jpegC6560C2C-3166-479B-926C-1B917324E8F9.jpeg

Keith03

I can't find a way to delete the duplicate pictures. If someone can enlighten me, or take care of that, I would appreciate it.

shoobe01

Established
Assuming you can edit the post, the images are just like they are in Word, or an email. They are inline as though a character of text. Just go to the last one, press backspace and keep going (slowly) until you've deleted only the ones you want.

If it goes badly, just abort the process, don't save it and you can give up or start over again in a new edit session.

Keith03

Update: I went out and zeroed the same rifle (a JP) with my new Vortex Razor 1-6E in a geiselle 2.04 mount. My 77s impacted right about 1.5 MOA higher then the 55s. This leads me to believe that the Steiner

Keith03

Not sure what happened to the end of that last post. it should have said that the above leads me to believe the steiner held zero.

The status for my return on the website switched from repair to replace a while back. i called 8/22, dude said he didn't think had any in stock to replace it with, but would call be back the next day. No return call but no big deal, stuff happens. i called again 8/25, different dude said they are out of stock, but he would see what he could do for me. i got shipping notice later that day and received a new scope 8/30.

the website said up front, replacements may take an undetermined about of time if that product is out of stock. I'm happy with my experience. i hope this info helps somebody. i would like to hear of more peoples field experience with this scope as far as holding up to abuse vs breaking.

My p4xi went back for RMA and was received by them 7/31 and I was quoted 1-3 weeks as well. As of 08/30 I called them and got the same answer you got. Slated for replacement and "we don't have any of those in stock." Got told they didn't know when they would be getting them in stock and they would ship replacements for RMA's when they got them.

My scope didn't take any falls or damage. It broke on its own with right around 400 rounds through it. A piece of glass came loose on the inside and would fall in or out of the correct position randomly leading to very foggy scope picture. Overall the scope proved the LPVO concept to me but in terms of durable I'm not thrilled and the lack of comms from Steiner doesn't make me happy either. Had I gotten something from them saying it was going to be an undetermined amount of time to send me a replacement that would be one thing but they produce their own inventory, you'd think they would be able to provide some kind of timeline.

Grayman

Established
My p4xi went back for RMA and was received by them 7/31 and I was quoted 1-3 weeks as well. As of 08/30 I called them and got the same answer you got. Slated for replacement and "we don't have any of those in stock." Got told they didn't know when they would be getting them in stock and they would ship replacements for RMA's when they got them.

My scope didn't take any falls or damage. It broke on its own with right around 400 rounds through it. A piece of glass came loose on the inside and would fall in or out of the correct position randomly leading to very foggy scope picture. Overall the scope proved the LPVO concept to me but in terms of durable I'm not thrilled and the lack of comms from Steiner doesn't make me happy either. Had I gotten something from them saying it was going to be an undetermined amount of time to send me a replacement that would be one thing but they produce their own inventory, you'd think they would be able to provide some kind of timeline.
Can you give us more details about the issue with your optic? An abnormal abuse? Drops bangs or other things that might have caused it to fall out? Just curious if there was some precipitating event or if it was just a random adhesive / fitment failure. Thanks