Steel Target Placement

Western

Amateur
I recently got some steel targets to place on a private range. The range basically turns into a swamp with a bunch of standing water in the middle of it for most of the spring, so it will be great to not always have to go out and place paper targets. I got a few 5 inch and a few 8 inch steel targets because I can mount them off of shepherd's hooks which are super cheap.

Where do you guys suggest I place these to best facilitate training? Right now I want to put at least one of the five inchers at 80 yards and then probably put the rest at varying distances so I can work on other skills that aren't just long-range accuracy.

JLL2013

A good practice with that style of target is to align the target size to be 1MOA. IE a 5inch plate at 500yds. This is clearly accuracy centric. The other methodology would be at known, typical distance such as 100yds for a 5in (head size) and 200yds for 8in (thoracic).

Western

Amateur
Thanks! My range isn't long enough to do any serious accuracy work, but known distance stuff is a good idea. A friend of mine has some sort of laser range-finder for golf, I might borrow it and try to figure out some distances to place targets at.

Mike_IA

Go for 50, 100, 150, 200. Or work every 100 to max distance capable. Something else to consider is every 25 yards to 100, then every 50 yards to 300, and every 100 yards there after. Setups like that will let you work pistol and rifle at increasing distance to build wind and range data as well as work positional stuff at varying distances.