Starting IDPA & USPSA

Artk1982

Hello everyone. I recently got into IDPA and USPSA. I been using my g19 gen 4 but thinking about getting g17. I found g17 Gen4 for 450 new and g17 gen 5 for 400 used. Which one should I get and why? Thank you

RallyMech

Amateur
I would go with the gen 5. There aren't as many aftermarket options now, but there will be in the future. The trigger is also much nicer out of the box. Only way I'd question it is if the Gen 5 had a super high round count on it. Gen 4 development is effectively dead.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
if that Gen 5 is in reasonable condition I go that route. The Gen 5 barrel is an improvement over the 4. Finger grove may or may not be suitable for you.

chasnojm

It also totally depends on what you want to do. I'd suggest you get a Gen 5 17 and shoot the crap out of it as is. Pick either Limited or Production in USPSA. I doubt you'll need to swap anything on the gen 5 besides throwing some dawson fibers on it. If you get an MOS, you could also try carry-optics and see if its for you.

Artk1982

It also totally depends on what you want to do. I'd suggest you get a Gen 5 17 and shoot the crap out of it as is. Pick either Limited or Production in USPSA. I doubt you'll need to swap anything on the gen 5 besides throwing some dawson fibers on it. If you get an MOS, you could also try carry-optics and see if its for you.
The g19 I use now has rmr on it and I love it. I'm going to rmr on 17 for sure

Nowski

I’m gonna go a different route and say neither, that is if this will be a dedicated game gun. I’m going to suggest a Glock 35 with a 9mm conversion barrel. Reason being with the 9mm barrel you are set for IDPA or USPSA production, 9mm is best because everyone is scored the same. The .40 though will help you in USPSA limited as you will be scored major.

Now if the game don’t matter and this is all really about getting reps in, stay with the 19. Use it in IDPA shooting ESP and shoot limited minor in USPSA. Both of these will allow you to shoot your carry gun or defensive gun set up in the way you like it for the exception of a comp as they are not permitted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dcsp3x

I’m gonna go a different route and say neither, that is if this will be a dedicated game gun. I’m going to suggest a Glock 35 with a 9mm conversion barrel. Reason being with the 9mm barrel you are set for IDPA or USPSA production, 9mm is best because everyone is scored the same. The .40 though will help you in USPSA limited as you will be scored major.

FYI not entirely correct:
USPSA current rules, you cannot use conversion barrels in production

APPENDIX D4 – Production Division
21.3 Aftermarket slides and barrels
BARRELS: You may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.

Get a Glock 34 or 17 imo, both will allow you to do everything you want and not hold you back and allow you to leave your 19 for carry and still give you some universality if you are into the defensive stuff as well.

To me it would depend on what mods I wanted to do to the gun. If the aftermarket did not support the gen 5 but did on the gen 4, then buy the gen 4. If everything else is equal, save some money, but the gen 5. As stated above, unless it was used in a torture test, I would worry too much about new vs used.

Seth Thompson

I've been shooting USPSA off and on for a few years, now. I'm not a "serious competitor", and I've not shot any classifiers. I shoot with either my duty gear or an OWB setup I use off duty. I would like to move to using my current AIWB setup, too.

My goals have been to pressure-test my actual "real-world" equipment, my gun-handling and my visual processing skills/ problem-solving skills, with someone else's course of fire. Plus, it's great fun.

So far, I've shot a G-17, Gen.4 (stock except Trijicon HD sights), a G-17 MOS (again stock, with a RMR and Ameriglo suppressor height sights added), and a G-19X (stock, with HD's), in USPSA matches. My best results thus far have been with the 17 MOS, winning Carry Optics once and placing well, nearly every time. I've actually beaten a couple of shooter's raw times on the same stage, while they were shooting pistol-caliber carbines. Possibly a fluke, but it still felt good in the validation department.

I haven't felt limited by my equipment, yet. My main limitations have been self-induced; mainly botching my stage plan and having to play "catch-up", which cost me time for reloads. I've always approached each stage with the goal of getting as many A-zone hits as possible, even if that means I had to shoot a bit slower. USPSA's scoring doesn't reward hosing the target at the expense of accuracy, like some other competitions. I don't think I've gotten to the point of maxing out my skills, where any aftermarket add-ons, like barrels, triggers, magwells, etc. would make a difference.

If I had advice for anyone starting this, it would be to worry less about equipment and concentrate on making good stage plans and shooting only as fast as you can hit. The speed will show up, as you improve your skills and you may find you can turn in some pretty good results, while enjoying yourself.

uwaeve

I was told gen 5 had 300-500 rounds but by this picture it looks like it had way more rounds.

The finish on the Gen5 wears like tissue paper compared to the Gen4 or any of my other guns, FYI. I can grab a pic of my barrel if you want, but as I remember it looked similar to that with under 1k. The hardening is still there, it's the oxide layer that wipes off.

Artk1982

The finish on the Gen5 wears like tissue paper compared to the Gen4 or any of my other guns, FYI. I can grab a pic of my barrel if you want, but as I remember it looked similar to that with under 1k. The hardening is still there, it's the oxide layer that wipes off.
Thanks

Artk1982

So I ended up getting a brand new g17 Gen4. Thanks everyone for your input. New question. Anyone have any experience with Suarez Full cowitness height fiber optic front sight being used with an rmr? Thank tou

MOT

I’ve been happy with mine so far. Not my primary blaster but the sights work when the dot isn’t on.

Attachments

• 9D87BE5E-1D7A-429D-903F-9F027E91AC39.jpeg
    9D87BE5E-1D7A-429D-903F-9F027E91AC39.jpeg
    941.8 KB · Views: 11
  • FAF5259A-FDA6-4640-891C-C9C4691B5AFC.jpeg
    FAF5259A-FDA6-4640-891C-C9C4691B5AFC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11