Springfield xd

JPitts0117

I know this is a dreaded subject on a dreaded weapon, but I work with a guy who absolutely refuses to believe in the issues with these handguns. He’s open to the idea of upgrading some parts but unlike glocks good parts for these guns typically require some fitting(powder river precision trigger, grip safety and such) and he’s asked me to do it if he decides to go that route due to my gunsmith experience. Can anyone suggest any upgrades other than a new weapon

Joe _K

Established
I’m going to go out in a limb here and guess thst this guy does not train or practice on a regular basis, when was the last time he went to a course where he had to shoot more than 500 rounds through his XD in less than two days? Try and get him into a class with you from a good handgun Instructor. The chances are it will enlighten him to some modifications that he could put into his garbage sauce handgun, or his XD will break and after realizing how stupid it is to try and fix an inherently flawed design he will hopefully see the light and get something worth his time.

JPitts0117

No, he doesn’t train much... only time he hits the range is yearly quals I’ve tried time and again to make him see the error of his ways but to no avail as of yet

Joe _K

Established
Some people can’t see evidence because they won’t look for anything other than what they want to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased a XD .45 Compact last year. Have about 2000 rounds through it, I wanted a compact .45 but I live in Massachusetts so Glocks are hard to get. I don't carry this gun after reading so many negative things about them. What can I expect to fail? Because from what I have been reading it is more a When rather than an If it fails. Thanks.

jonny4523

I have an older XD9 tactical with about 20k rounds on it. I used it primarily for USPSA Production division for probably 8 years. I also used it for a 5 day course at the Range Complex (it was TigerSwan then). I had a Springer Precision trigger job in it that was done back before they started coming out with DIY kits. I can't remember exactly what the factory trigger felt like, but I remember being shocked at the difference. Other than that and maybe an extended mag release button, I don't think I've done anything else to it.

I purchased a XD .45 Compact last year. Have about 2000 rounds through it, I wanted a compact .45 but I live in Massachusetts so Glocks are hard to get. I don't carry this gun after reading so many negative things about them. What can I expect to fail? Because from what I have been reading it is more a When rather than an If it fails. Thanks.

I think I've had two failures (one occurring several times) with my time on my XD9. The repetitive failure was the striker retaining roll pin. I don't remember how many I've broken, but it would be good to have a few on hand. It didn't take the gun out of commission though. I would find it upon disassembly during cleaning.

The second issue I've had is the trigger safety has worn to the point where it is not functional. I have no idea what round count this occurred at as I randomly found it. But it is pretty much non-functional now. I made the switch to a G34 about two years ago. So I haven't bothered to replace the trigger shoe yet. This gun was never used for carry or for duty. So it wasn't a big issue for me. But obviously the story would be much different if it had a more serious job.

JeffM.

Amateur
In my experience as a former manager of a 07/02, working on guns that have known issues is a non-starter. ESPECIALLY if the person is a die-hard fan of the brand. If there are ANY problems with the gun after you've worked on it, you will be blamed regardless the actual source of the problem. God forbid any problem creates a safety issue that ends with the loss of life or limb. How's your insurance by the way?

Unless your licensed and insured and willing to take on that guns potential problems for the rest of its lifespan, I would tell him "Sorry, but no, I don't work on XDs".