Springfield XD Problems

Gents,

Just to clear the air, at risk of having folks repeat themselves, can we go over the specific issues with Springfield's XD?

My reasoning is the cluttered opinions may not be easily accessible and I have a couple detailed questions below.

1. What specific models/calibers have these issues been identified with?

2. What specific issues have occur and in what settings?

3. Are these issues noted in the XDm, Mod2, and/or XDs series of pistols?

I know...newbie bringing up Springfield XD...but I've seen some of the issues explained over a number of different places and think it might be helpful to focus them here. I'm sure they've been noted enough to where it shouldn't be too hard for instructors/trainers to throw a quick blurb in.

David Mayeur

Capture.PNG
18581679_1314002368653014_2066292913584228308_n.jpg

Chriscanbreach

Established
I have zero experience with the XD line beyond a couple magazines and I can’t recall being impressed. I am curious if the info is still current. Have there been improvements?
Are those that carry them on duty experiencing the same failures, and if so why would you carry it beyond department mandate.
I ask, because I have no idea and am looking to expand options for our officers. XD is not currently on the list.
Every weapon has anecdotal tales of the time it went down for my buddies cousins neighbor and how it can never be relied on.
There are also documented cases like the postings from Sage Dynamics that should be digested with a little less suspicion although we never really know the whole story of the particular gun.
Multiple documented failures are important to keep track of in the right context. For example Some dude shooting hot ass hand loads out of his Glock 19 can be a documented failure. But was it the gun?
I’d like to hear the contrary experience from people who would trust their lives to one.
In my experience when politics get involved and people have it in for a company they believe betrayed them and the second amendment they can only see flaws and will go out of their way to show them to others.

Chriscanbreach

Established
I get it the question has been asked a million times why does XD suck? The answer appears to be because it just does. Only taking time to post a screen shot of some dudes instawhateverface because you’re sick of answering the question is lazy guys.
I get it, and yes people should use the search function.
I can’t help but get the feeling this place has drank some of it own koolaid and like many forums has its own culture which isn’t a bad thing.
Matt’s post has great links filled with fans and detractors alike of the XD.
I’m ignorant to how bad the XD is because it’s success or failure has never been a blip on my radar. Some might say “we’ll you must never train” or “I’ve been to xteen schools and have seen them fail all the time. I’ll stack my training credentials and real world experience against anyone. Now that being said, maybe the lack of XDs in any training I’ve attended speaks more volumes of its unsuitability than joe shit the rag mans gun busting in some two day school.

Gypsy EDC

I went 1911---> XD-----> m&p----> Glock now I find myself carrying czs frequently.

The only problem I had with the XD series is once the grip safety on a subcompact model not disengaging.

Oh and that the rear sights were ridiculously hard to replace.

Seth Thompson

I'll repeat my own first-hand observations on the XD:

In various training venues, both LE and "Normal Earth People", within the last three years or so, I've personally seen two XD's lock up during shooting, due to something malfunctioning inside the grip safety assembly. The grip safety's normal function of locking the slide from moving is a definite no-go for a serious use gun, in my opinion, as it makes gun manipulation tasks under stress, with a less than perfect grip, much harder.

In high round-count classes, I've also witnessed two different full-size guns shear the roll pin that retains the firing pin. The shooters noticed this by seeing the little broken pin half poking up from the slide top. This didn't stop the guns from firing, but it points to a serious design/manufacturing flaw.

By way of comparison, I've seen Glocks, M&P's, Sig 320's, etc, in high round-count environments that exhibited none of these flaws.

David Mayeur

I get it the question has been asked a million times why does XD suck? The answer appears to be because it just does. Only taking time to post a screen shot of some dudes instawhateverface because you’re sick of answering the question is lazy guys.
I get it, and yes people should use the search function.
I can’t help but get the feeling this place has drank some of it own koolaid and like many forums has its own culture which isn’t a bad thing.
Matt’s post has great links filled with fans and detractors alike of the XD.
I’m ignorant to how bad the XD is because it’s success or failure has never been a blip on my radar. Some might say “we’ll you must never train” or “I’ve been to xteen schools and have seen them fail all the time. I’ll stack my training credentials and real world experience against anyone. Now that being said, maybe the lack of XDs in any training I’ve attended speaks more volumes of its unsuitability than joe shit the rag mans gun busting in some two day school.

I shared the screen shots, because I do not have the ability to quote Cowan directly from Facebook outside of copying and pasting. Cowan's documented failures are often brought up when XD's are mentioned, so I shared the screen shots from the post that was made. The man asked for documented information.

I don't understand what you are ranting about.

Chriscanbreach

Established
I shared the screen shots, because I do not have the ability to quote Cowan directly from Facebook outside of copying and pasting. Cowan's documented failures are often brought up when XD's are mentioned, so I shared the screen shots from the post that was made. The man asked for documented information.

I don't understand what you are ranting about.

OP I hope your post has been answered or will be answered to your satisfaction.

David,
The man asked a question. If it’s worth your time answering, it’s worth writing a few sentences.

user12358

David,
The man asked a question. If it’s worth your time answering, it’s worth writing a few sentences.

He provided relevant information to the question from a fairly well documented source that stands just fine on its own. He doesn't need to bolivate about how his "training credentials" stack up, go on tangential rants about the state of the forum, or post links showing how Glock can also fail. Signal to Noise ratio isn't just for tubes.

Thanks all, that's basically what I was looking for. It looks like I'll need to be upping my round count with my newer ones and looking to replace my old one. I love the way it shoots and feels in the hand, but if it is standing out this much, I've got to assume there are some issues. Even if it is new shooters failing to properly lube (or too much lube) or running bad/too hot ammo, I'm sure other folks in these novice classes are doing the same with other brands and the XD is the one failing.

Again, thanks to everyone for the input, especially the previous forum/FB chats. I couldn't find the longer one with the more in depth discussion, hence the post.

jbull

My personal experience - I had an 9mm XD back in 2005. Had my trigger bar fail and sometime after that the trigger bar spring failed. Back then you couldn't get replacement parts, you had to ship the gun back for repair.

General "Quality of Life" complaints - the finish of the gun didn't hold up well, a lot of internal nooks and crannies to clean, quite a chore to detail strip, magazines would eventually torque enough to become "not drop free."

David Mayeur

David,

Would you prefer I share relevant information from someone who has documented failures or spout off some anecdotal evidence based on my minimal experience with the platform?

I think it's more beneficial to the OP if I share documentation rather than my recollection of an event that happened nearly a decade ago.

Chriscanbreach

Established
I just have to respond. Bro.. That’s what I said in the following post about asshats and hand loads the link was me storing the pot to make a point. The training comment I made was related to the three links Matt posted where that comment was made by one of the contributors about how if someone doesn’t believe they must never train.
I should be less of a dick and admit it. I’ll check myself from now on.