Specialization is for insects

Mick-boy

VIP
http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2013/11/why-barry-bonds-strikes-out-to-jennie-finch.html

To so-called "manly men," getting beaten by a girl can be a cause for consternation. That's probably why a lot of professional baseball players avoid Jennie Finch.

Standing a mini but mighty inch over six feet tall, the golden-haired Finch is an imposing sight, especially to the hitters she faces on the softball diamond. Finch, perhaps the best softball pitcher to ever play the game, originally roared to fame when she anchored the United States to a gold medal victory at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia. Since then, she's kept busy, leading the U.S. to a silver medal in 2008, starring in numerous television shows, and getting married. She's also been making a whole lot of venerable MLB hitters look absolutely silly. The most memorable of these dress-downs occurred at the 2004 Pepsi All-Star Softball Game, Finch struck out future Hall of Fame slugger Albert Pujols, two-time All Star Brian Giles, and future Hall of Fame catcher Mike Piazza, who took his leave from the batter's box in shameful one-two-three fashion.

"I never touched a pitch," Giles readily admitted. "Her fastball

was the fastest thing I've ever seen, from that distance. It rises and

cuts at the same time."

Seeing his colleagues get so thoroughly embarrassed at the game, all-time home run leader Barry Bonds boastfully challenged Finch to a duel of sorts.

"You faced all them little chumps... You gotta face the best," he goaded.

When she faced him months later -- slinging underhand rockets from 43-feet away -- Bonds only tapped the ball once, and it wimpishly puttered into foul territory.

Major league hitters regularly make contact with baseballs traveling at blazing speeds of over 90-mph, so why is it that a softball, with a circumference almost one-third larger, thrown at a comparatively measly 68-mph, gives them so much trouble?

In his new book, The Sports Gene, senior Sports Illustrated writer David Epstein tracked down the answer, and it has a little something to do with predicting the future.

Most of us probably think that hitters' abilities can be attributed to their "catlike" reflexes. This couldn't be further from the truth. Even the best professional baseball players perform roughly the same as everyone else in simple reaction time tests, gauged by how fast you can hit a button in response to a flash of light -- about 200 milliseconds (ms).

Besides, once a baseball leaves the hand of a pitcher 60-feet away, or a softball leaves the hand of a pitcher 43-feet away, it takes approximately 400ms for each ball to travel to home plate. Seeing as how the ball moves about ten feet in the 75ms before one's eyes even confirm the baseball is in view, and it takes another 200ms simply to initiate our muscles, hitters have to decide whether or not they're going to swing almost before the ball is thrown.

Studies have shown that this is basically what professional athletes do. Decades ago, University of Queensland physiologist Bruce Abernathy found that top tennis players could discern whether or not a serve was going to their forehand or backhand simply by observing the movements of an opponent's torso. Similarly, professional boxers can evade punches by noting and reacting to the subtle movements that belie an opponent's intentions. The only way to notice these bodily giveaways, Abernathy determined, is to observe them over and over through thousands of hours of meticulous practice.

And this brings us back to Albert Pujols, and the rest of the MLB players at the mercy of softball phenom Jennie Finch. Without their honed and polished crystal balls, they have little to no chance at stealing a hit. Explains Epstein:

"Since Pujols had no mental database of Finch's body movements, her pitch

tendencies or even the spin of a softball, he could not predict what

was coming, and he was left reacting at the last moment."

Primary Source:
David Epstein, The Sports Gene: Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance, 2013

So I was in our little team gym/fight room scrapping with a couple of the guys on my team a couple of years ago, and one of the guys (hands down the best fighter in the bunch) decides, just for grins, that he's going to do all his striking with his left hand and leg. I'm (a teeny bit) ashamed to say that he tagged me more times than I would have predicted in the first round.

We were sitting around talking about it afterwords and Pirate (the guy who was throwing all from the left) mentioned that we'd all been conditioned to expect combos to come from both sides. When someone is throwing a combination that otherwise wouldn't make sense, it throws us off our game. Kinda like when Weidman KO'd Silva in UFC 162.

To me this illustrates a point that I think is worth considering in our training.

To be truely great (world class) at something, you have to specialize in that thing. But for something like self defense (gunfighting/warfighting/home defense/etc.) there are so many aspects that deserve attention that you can't truely specialize in any of them.

If you're a GM class shooter who burns down a home invasion crew like you're shooting a classifier at the range, but your wife gets hit in the exchange and you don't have the skills to save her, can you still call it a win? I couldn't.

The ball players that were struck out by Ms. Finch are undoubtedly some of the best in the world at what they do. But that skill came at the expense of some other things. Change the look of what they're facing just a bit and they have issues.

To quote one of my favorite authors

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.-Robert A. Heinlein

Thoughts?

03humpalot

Amateur
Absolutely brother, ive gotta run for a bit but will hop back on later today and throw some of my thoughts down.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
With the ball players, their career did not necessitate hitting a softball thrown in an underhand motion at distances much shorter than they are used to. Hence the fail. Now if MLB allowed standard pitching at normal distance OR underhand pitching at shorter distance, all of them would likely still be great. They still have the same hand/eye coordination, excellent eyesight, reflexes and so forth. This would have required more time and effort, but success would have still happened.

For the fighting man, I agree there is so much to learn that by the time you feel you have it licked, you are 30 years on the path broken. The knowledge and experience is less valuable (maybe) since the body is not as capable. I am talking being at the expert level in all tasks. I think the better option is to be a tactical decathlete. Not the best at any one thing, but pretty damn good at a lot of things.

So I agree. The human ego is the limiter, if I naturally shoot well I will likely spend more time on that task since I get fast, and early, success. Rather than buckling down and doing the stuff I don't do as well. Sorry rambling......